WOW - BARIX FIRST SATURDAY WILL BE NOV. 1

Dennis Belk
on 10/15/08 11:43 pm, edited 10/16/08 11:41 am - Philadelphia, PA
As announced last night at the Barix post-op meeting the Barix First Saturday meetings will commence on November 1. We will hold these new meetings on the first Saturday of every month. 

They will be open to pre-ops and post-ops, Lap-Banders and RNY'ers. This new meeting will be posted here and on the Barix messageboards and promoted at the Langhorne clinic. In addition Barix will generate a mass mailing to all Barix Langhorne patients.
We are the only Barix location doing additional meetings like this and the size of our groups along with our popularity is larger than at any other Barix location. Our starting schedule will be 12P - 4P to start (but may expand) and we'll break into smaller groups based on what our large group wants.

Grouped by stage or type:

Pre-Op - 6 month
6 month - 12 month
1 year and over 
Lap-Bander Group
Mens Group

And/or grouped by topic are only 2 possibilities. We distributed a survey Wednesday night for your feedback. We'll query that data in the coming weeks.

These meetings have come about because of the huge need we have to supply:

More support than a once a month meeting will provide.
More time to provide meaningful support.
More groups offered to help intensify the focus while creating a more manageable group size.
A more convenient time for many who aren't able to attend on a mid-week night.

We will continue to hold our 2nd Tuesday pre-op and 3rd Wednesday post-op meetings. 

Shauna Dhoble will be the SG Leader Coordinator for this first meeting. She will be the point person for the leaders who will lead our groups for the first meeting.

I'd like to thank Shannon Arvay, Krista Conkle and Elena Brodsky of Barix along with all of our SG Leaders:
Shauna, Susan Burkett, Laureen Scimeca, Katie Reavis, Mike Materacky, Beth Cummins, Alicia Stover, Cheryl Schulman, Pat Delany, Mary Ivins, Norm Benford and Marla Lipkin for their participation. I'll be around as well. This effort requires many leaders and with this group we will always be able have the leaders required from month to month. When they aren't facilitating they will be like all of you and benefit from the gathering as patients. I plan on being a patient myself but I will always be here for all of you.    

So these meetings will finally become a reality, because you needed it.
We needed it.
Let's use it.   

Hope to see ya there,

Dennis
Nubianlilly
on 10/15/08 11:49 pm - PA

YEA!! I'm totally excited.  I don't even make the Wednesday meetings with total regularity, but I'll definately at least make one per month now that there are two. 

We love you Dennis, and I think you are a FANTASTIC group leader.  I thought Shauna was great last night too. ( First time I ever heard from her)  I can't wait to attend one of her meetings.

Two great leaders, two great meetings! I'm totally psyched!!!!

Pam Hart
on 10/16/08 12:11 am - Easton, PA
Dennis,

To you and ALL the leaders and the people at barix, thank you for making this a huge success and allowing the needs of the group to be addressed and forming these groups based on comments previously made.  It's a wonderful feeling.

I obviously won't be coming to the first one...I think hubby would be a little pissy if in the middle of moving I kind of up and left for 4 hours...LOL...although the thought is tempting!  hee hee hee...

Anyway - I do hope to be able to make it to some of the meetings.  And once I know my new work schedule...I'll definately be able to make it two one of the two each month!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 10/16/08 12:33 am - Easton, PA
I too will have to miss out on the first one but look forward to them in the future!!

Liz
Mary Benford
on 10/16/08 12:40 am - Emmaus, PA
We're going to be running a little late that day because of course I have to work...    but we're planning on being there.

Better late than never right?

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

bubble273
on 10/16/08 1:42 am - Levittown, PA

Dennis,

What a great job you and Barix and whoever else has gotten this together.  Apparently it is needed and I know many people will benefit from it.  I'm sorry that I will not be able to attend the first one.  My cousin is getting married that day.  So I'll be out partying, but also thinking of you guys as you lend much needed support to everyone.

Good luck and know that I'll be thinking of you guys.  Hope to see you at future Saturday meetings.

Karen

CherylT
on 10/16/08 3:02 am - Perkasie, PA
I hope I can make it to the meetings. I usually am scheduled to work Saturdays, but sometimes not until 6ish pm so we shall see...fingers crossed. I would also like to help out if I can at all. Great idea, thanks for putting this together!!

:)

GinaB308
on 10/16/08 6:14 am - PA
Hi Dennis,

That's great news, I am soo excited!!!  will specific groups be meeting at certain times?  My surgerversary is Nov. 2nd so I will be in the 1 year and over group................WOW what a year it has been.

Can't wait to see everyone!

Gina

Pam Hart
on 10/16/08 6:23 am - Easton, PA
I believe the groups will be meeting at the same time - just in different areas.  It sounded like when Shauna explained it, for the first two hours it will be group specific and really intense support and then I think that will stop and the groups will get to interact in a general like forum.  Somebody correct me if I misunderstood that last night.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 10/16/08 6:46 am
Yes, Pam that is correct the meetings will be from 12-4 on Saturdays with smaller groups then a big session. We will even have a small break in between and we will also have teh sign in sheets and such that started last night as well.

Each group will have specific leaders and topics at least the first meeting we will and we will fine tuning along the way.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views