RNY or Lap band surgery?

lucky62756
on 10/15/08 1:56 am - York Haven, PA
VSG on 12/02/14
Hello, I am open for suggestions into which surgery to have. I was leaning toward the Lap Band, but since doing more reserch and talking to others I am looking into RNY. Help. I am seeing the surgeon next month to let them know which I want to have. Can someone out there shed some light on this? Thanks

2/09 pre. 264.7            214 lbs. Band removal.  4/29/20014       revision to sleeve 12/2/14  243.4

bubble273
on 10/15/08 2:05 am - Levittown, PA
Hi and Welcome.

You know, sometimes it's actually up to the surgeons what to do.  It depends on how much weight you have to lose.  If you have to lose in excess of 150 pounds, they're going to tell you to stay with the RNY.  It's just that you lose weight much more slowly with the lap band and then you have to always get fills to make it stay tight.  I for one would not want to be bothered with getting a needle in my belly every however many weeks it is.

For me there was no choice.  I had 200 + pounds to lose and the lap band was out of the question.  Plus, I had a thing for sugar and sweets and everything in between.  With the lap band you can basically eat whatever.  It doesn't restrict you like the RNY does.  And I needed desparate discipline.  I'm almost a year out and have never tried sugar.  Don't want to know if I can dum*****t.  I like my sugar free puddings and cool whip and yummy stuff like that.  Why do I need to even try anything that made me fat before.  I will NEVER, EVER do it!!!  My success is worth so much more than to stick something that has sugar in my mouth.

Good luck to you in whatever you choose.  It's a personal decision and no one can make it for you.  Just make sure you know everything about each surgery and make the decision that's right for you.

Karen

keri2008
on 10/15/08 2:30 am - PA
This is definitely a personal decision and one that should be made after doing A LOT of research about all options.  I was decided on the Lap Band but went to the consult group meeting with the surgeon and switched to RNY.  Based on my own issues and individuality the RNY was a choice that I felt I would be more successful at long-term.  I know that I already said it but it's really important to do the research so you can know as much as you possibly can prior to making a decision.  There are a lot of variables involved so working through each one systematically helped me get a grip on what each had to offer me.  Good luck!

Keri
Melanie B.
on 10/15/08 3:11 am - Doylestown, PA
I only had 112ls to loose to be at "goal" (honestly I would be happy with an 80 loss...so technically I was considered a ligth weight and could have gone either way.

My surgeon does not do lap bands and really explained to me why and the advantages of RNY for the long term as RNY has much better behavior modification results than the band.

The Band will simply force you to eat less at one sitting. but as soon as it's empty you can eat again...and the band does not casue you to dump (the side effects of eeating sugar) So you could fill your banded tubby up with milk shakes if you wanted too....

so for me, I was only doing this once and I wanted to do it right - so for me, I went with RNY.

It's a pretty major decision and commitment so you're smart to do your research on both.

lucky62756
on 10/15/08 4:08 am - York Haven, PA
VSG on 12/02/14
Thanks for the infro. I too don't really need to loose a whole lot. I am 5' 4" and weigh 257 lbs. I have had 2 major back surgeries and a total knee replacement. My Ortho. surgeon said i needed to loose weight because my weight was causing my back pain and knee pain. He said if i didn't  do something, i would be in a wheel chair. I only need to loose about 100lbs or so. i have been doing so much research on this I am really getting confused. I'm not scared at all, but just confused. My husband and kids ( ages 24,28,33,36) are all behind me in anything i decieded. Just needed to hear from other people. I am hoping for surgery before Christmas.  Thanks again.  "Lucky"
ShaunainHarleysville
on 10/15/08 4:14 am - Harleysville, PA
I was also "only 253 pounds", but needed the "therapy" of not beign able to eat too much of anything, eating sugar, or eating too much fat.  I lost about 110 pounds and ALL of my health problems associated with ym weight.  I am now three years out and know that RNY was my personal and very correct decision.  I know that had I had the banding, I would have "beaten it" over time.  It tkaes a pretty strong person to make the bacn work long term.  I am happy to see that you are weighing the factors of both options.  Good luck!

Shauna
Deprived?  Are you kidding?  Deprivation ended September 20th, 2005.
RNY 9/05, Plastics 9/08
Still doing it after all of these years...
Pam Hart
on 10/15/08 4:55 am - Easton, PA
Welcome to the boards!!

As everyone else has said - this is a very personal decision.  At my high weight I was 235 and am 5'3".  My "Goal weight" based on BMI alone is 128-135 pounds.  I am currently at 128 pounds.  I had initially wanted to get down to 150 and see where I stood. 

I chose RNY because I wanted the behavior modification that came with it.  I could easily out eat the band, and I knew that.  My problem was not eating mass quantities of food at once, which is what the band does - restricts your eating.  I ate to much of the wrong stuff.

The RNY allows me to have a "fear" of getting sick if I eat something I'm not supposed to.  I understand that if I have sugar or fat, I could pay for it for hours.

Have I had sugar?  Yes, in very small amounts.  Have I given up foods?  Not really but have modified them.  And I don't feel deprived.  Something this has taught me is moderation.  I am satisfied at a birthday party to have a forkful of my husbands piece of cake and then have my own yogurt or sf ice cream or whatever. 

Research everything and anything you can about all the procedures out there and do what you need to do to feel comfortable with that decision!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Michele S.
on 10/15/08 10:01 am
A little different perspective here.  I choose the band for severla reasons, first I was very concerned with the malabsorption.  I don't know why but it scarred me terribly.  I have found that since I was a volume eater it has been the right choice for me.  There is more followup with the band but that is a good thing for me to keep me on track and accountable to myself.  I have over 200 lbs to loos and have done really well.  by following the rules for the band I lost 70 lbs before surgery and have lost another 40 since then (July 29, 2008).  You may wnat to visit the different baords to get some information from different people.  I also found that there are several books out there that helped me.  It seems that many of the rules were very similar for several surgeries.  I know there are not many poeple with a bnd o nthis board, that is why I ususally visit the Lapband board.  You may also want to look into go to some support groups for both to listen to tohers and ask questions.  I know I learned a lot from the ocuple I have attended.

Hope you find one you are comfortable with.

Mcihele S.
If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.  ~Author Unknown

411 / 210 / 200
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views