Not "blowing off" the meetings!

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/08 5:33 am - Eastern, PA
I keep a moderately active profile here on the boards. A lot of you that I talk to here, I've only met once or twice, if at all. But many of you I've also spent plenty of time with, and I miss you guys!

But I haven't been to a Langhorne Barix meeting for a while. Just wanted to let you know why. Having the meeting in the middle of the week makes it a logistical nightmare for Mary and I to get down there in a timely fashion, and it screws with our schedule big-time. With commuter traffic, it can take anywhere from 70-90 minutes to get there.

The past few times we did make it to a meeting, we were barely on time, didn't get to talk to anybody until after the meeting, and at that point, I'm checking my watch, figuring out what time we're going to get home. The part that I would most look forward to, catching up with our friends, I have to rush through because it's getting late.

The post-op meeting have gotten so large, I find myself just getting fidgety, waiting for the end of them so I can socialize. I guess a better person would be able to sit patiently and listen to all of the questions and concerns, but I'm not "there" any more.

I hear a lot of the same questions being asked over and over again, and while I am delighted that "new" post-ops are getting the valuable help they desire, these days I don't so much feel the need to be around while it's going on.

I miss you guys, and I'm looking forward to some Saturday meetings. Our weekends are typically packed too, but there's a better chance we'll be able to come to one of those meetings and relax a little and offer and accept some support.

I suppose a lot of this may register as a big "who cares?" but I wanted to let you know that even if we don't get to see you and talk to you, we celebrate your successes, and send our thoughts your way in times of distress. Just kind of from a distance right now.

Everything is wonderful here. Both Mary and I are "maintaining" well and enjoying our time together - spending time on the road, hanging out with some newer friends from the area, and planning for our big day.

We'll see you soon enough, it's just not going to be tonight.
ktreavis
on 10/15/08 11:22 am - PA
Hey Norm - Thanks for updating us, hope to see you soon. - Katie

Progress not perfection

Pam Hart
on 10/15/08 1:39 pm - Easton, PA
Hey Norm,

Glad to hear everything is going well!!  We do miss you at the meetings - but I totally understand what you are saying.  It's nice to be kept updated at the same time.

The commute time is rough, I agree with you.  Without traffic (on the way home) it takes us at least 1hr 15 mins and going there for the meetings (we go up for dinner most times too, which is before the hit of full rush hour) it's closer to an hour & 45 for us.  Anywho...that's neither here nor there...as right now I continue to need to be there just for my own personal being.

So,just wanted to let you both know that you are missed and loved and when we get to see you, we will be that much happier!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 10/15/08 8:32 pm - Easton, PA
Norm - I hope that you'll be able to make it to one of the saturday meetings at my house - love to see you and Mary again! Looking at my calendar I think that Nov. 8th might just be the day - it is the only fress saturday I have in November!

Glad to hear that all is well and that you are maintaining!

Liz
Dennis Belk
on 10/15/08 10:47 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Norm,
We're all missing you and Mary, but we understand that challenge coming from the Lehigh Valley. Saturdays are coming so hang tough. Glad to hear you're both doing well and hope to see ya soon. Somewhere! LOL.

Dennis 
GD_007
on 10/15/08 11:06 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
Not that I'm counting...but I think the last meeting I saw you was June .  Dennis is now required to have everyone sign in - so the meeting didn't officially start till 7:30pm-ish. 

I *hope* you can make the next meeting as I'd very much like to introduce myself.  As well, we have a "guys night out" planned for Nov 1st at ~7pm.  If you could make that it would be great.

You continue to inspire many, at the meetings or not, and you are one of my personal heros!!

Regards,
-GD
GD_007
on 10/15/08 11:16 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
..pardon me....July (the 1st post-op meeting I attended as a 'pre-op')  :)
Mary Benford
on 10/16/08 12:42 am - Emmaus, PA
We were just talking about you the other night GD, and maybe it's your avatar...  but I can't picture you for the life of me!

I'm terrible!

PS- guys night=trouble!

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

GD_007
on 10/16/08 3:07 am - Drexel Hill, PA
:)

yes, well my 1/2 naked pictures on my profile don't help either....maybe next meeting I should just wear my boxer shorts then everyone will be "OH - that's GD_007".

Here is a recent snapshot:

And here is a family picture taken May 25th, 2008 - 2 months before my RNY:

Regards,
-GD
GD_007
on 10/16/08 3:10 am - Drexel Hill, PA
I was sitting beside the plant, back in July, and I wasn't shy asking a few questions.  I was the one that asked Dennis to have people, like Norm, say their starting weights and what they were at presently (and how long out they were).....

-GD
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views