Have you used a personal trainer?

Nicole0216
on 10/14/08 4:55 am - Lancaster, PA
I am so bored and clueless in the gym. Have any of you all used a personal trainer? Is it worth it?
(deactivated member)
on 10/14/08 5:22 am
Yes and yes....but very expensive.  They are able to teach you what to do and to do it correctly.  Great for for motivation and accountability.  It's worth doing long enough so you can learn the correct way to do things...so you don't end up hurting yourself.  After working with one for awhile, you can work on your own.  When you are in need of a new routine, you can hook back up with one to learn new, more advanced stuff.

hg
Laureen S.
on 10/14/08 5:43 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Nicole,

I signed up with a PT in January, feeling that doing so would get me to the gym, plus give me a workout that could challenge me to build strength and not hurt myself in the process.

I got mine through the gym I belong to and while I've heard some stories from people about that, it's worked for me.  I'd suggest making sure they are a qualified trainer, having gone through a certification program.  The first two I had were not reliable, cancelling last minute and such, so I requested and finally got what I needed.  My trainer was a woman, who you could see lived what she was teaching and when she had to cut back on her hours, I asked if she could recommend someone else, she handed me off to her trainer, he is awesome and both of them have continuously challenged me in ways that have built strength and given me muscles that I certainly didn't have 9 months ago.

Good luck, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Shannon O.
on 10/14/08 6:39 am - Reading, PA
I love my trainer... and even though I ran out of time with him he made me up a new workout session for when I am at the gym till I get money again...

I stretched out my sessions with him forever... I had 10 and it went from late April till Late July... or was it August... yeah to August...

But when I met with other "trainers" I later learned they weren't real ones... make sure to ask to see their certs and papers that they really are a trainer...

J. M.
on 10/14/08 10:53 am
I am fortunate to have a free trainer...my exboyfriend.  He does all my weight training.

If I could afford one, I'd do it.  It cant hurt...no doubt.

~ Jen   

Pam Hart
on 10/14/08 11:17 am - Easton, PA
Yes, I have used one.  The gym I currently belong to has a few different options.  You can meet with one every 2 months I believe it is to review your routine and get a new one and stuff like that.  It works pretty good.

You can also buy sessions with a trainer and during those sessions they do something completely different from your normal routine.  They really work you in different ways.  Unfortunately I did not have the money to sign up for that - although the intro one I went to was a fabulous work out that definately had me working hard.

I think getting at least a routine in the gym is important and being able to adjust that routine to add variety and challenge is important.

Good luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views