OT: Dating after WLS...

CherylT
on 10/14/08 1:18 am - Perkasie, PA
I was just wondering, for the single ones among us, how long did you wait after your weight loss to start dating? Anyone like to share their experiences? It was a subject brought up at one of the OH event seminars but only briefly. I've read that it is wise to wait a year after you've lost weight to date.

What are your thoughts?

jojobear98
on 10/14/08 1:36 am - Gettysburg, PA
I am no shrink........but why would it be suggested to wait 1 year after sugery? I am curious to that thought.

My opinion is to date when you want to. Dating is more about when you are emotionally ready for it. I don't see how it has to do with sugery. But maybe I am completely missing something.

I say if you are ready to date then go for it!

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/08 2:10 am
Cheryl ..

You must be inside my brain this is something I have been thinking about long before the OH event. I had a bad date experience about 4 months after surgery and thought I would like to do a support group for the "singles"  to see what we are feeling or experiencing. I would be more then happy to host something like this every so often.

Yet, I think that it is something that will vary with everyone when they are ready to date. I was and feel ready I just don't' feel the need to be the poster girl for the surgery and Say HI I am Beth I had gastric bypass. I do not hide the fact but don't  need to have a neon sign either.

The bad experience was he saw a picture prior to surgery and then made a rude comment I politely said get out and lose my number...
tammypa
on 10/14/08 2:31 am - Philadelphia, PA
tammypa
on 10/14/08 2:34 am - Philadelphia, PA
Cheryl - I have been wondering the same thing.

Beth - I would love to do the singles support group.
Good work kicking that bum to the curb.

I don't think I am ready to date  yet.
I would love to hear what others are thinking and
how they feel about it.
Tammy
lauraanne715
on 10/14/08 5:46 am - Pottstown, PA
****Thread Hijack****

Beth you look HAWT!!! Wow what a gorgeous new pic!!!! You go girl!!

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/08 5:49 am
Thank you laura!
(deactivated member)
on 10/14/08 3:38 am
I have heard  the thinking behind that (waiting a year) is that many people were not getting attention from the opposite sex (or same sex if that is their preference) pre-op.  Once the weight starts coming off and the attention starts coming your way, you might jump on the first person that shows interest.  And, being so wrapped up in the "new" experience, you may overlook the fact that is is not  a good fit, because you are so happy to have attention.  Not only are you changing on the outside, but you are changing on the inside too and need some time to learn about the new you before you become a "we." 

That being said....I know that doesn't apply to everyone.  I do understand the thinking, but I also understand that everyone is so different, what is right for one person, might not be right for the next.  It is vital that you learn to listen to your inner voice and when it is screaming NO NO NO, take it's advice.  Also, it's good to get the opinions of those around you...sometimes they can see things you don't...love can be blind. 

Most importantly, have fun with it and don't get wrapped up in one person too quickly...play the field...there are millions of fish in the sea. 
Liz R.
on 10/14/08 4:04 am - Easton, PA
now from teh 'ol married one - I see what Heather is saying. I think that you need to be comfortable with you before you can be out dating. And if you don't want to advertise that you had the surgery - how do you explain our eating habits to an "outsider"? Just a thought.

You ladies are great though!! Find yourselves a terrific someone to share your experiences with! Well other then your OH friends of course!!

Liz
(deactivated member)
on 10/14/08 5:24 am
I ran into that problem in late August.  I went out with someone that didn't know about the surgery...and of course we went to dinner, but I barely ate anything.  He was perplexed LOL  I felt bad that I took most of it home with me....I used the excuse that I just talked too much (which I probably did LOL)

HG
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views