Okay I wasn't adequately prepared for this....

lauraanne715
on 10/13/08 6:57 am - Pottstown, PA
Hello-
Well I am almost 5 months out and now the hair loss is beginning to freak me out....

I mean my dresser is covered in hair after I do it in the morning...when I bru**** --the hair just comes out...not like in clumps but enough to make me go "AHHHHHH!!!"

Tell me this stops and I won't be bald!!?? Egads....I mean I am pretty good about getting in my protein and all my supplements each day..should I be doing something more??

AHHH! Hair loss...I was so not prepared for this part...I mean I knew about it but it really is emotionally tolling...

Thanks for letting me ramble...

Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

ktreavis
on 10/13/08 7:07 am - PA
Laura -

I have lost a lot of hair too. ALthough I think it is tons of hair it is unoticeable to all other people and now that I am about 6 months out it is dying down now. I even got it cut while I thought it was falling out drastically and the stylist said it was anymore than normal. I didn't do anything extra as far as supplements go, but it is a little better now. I hope this helps. Talk to you soon.   - Katie

Progress not perfection

EileenWalton
on 10/13/08 7:31 am
I think everyone goes through the hair loss trauma.  I started at about 5 months also.  I started taking 5000 units of Biotin, but hair was growing everywhere....not just my head, so I stopped taking.  I didn't think it was making much of a difference anyway.  I stopped losing at around 7 months.  It was traumatic while it was happening, but it stopped just as quickly as it started.  You'll be fine.  Just hang in there.
Eileen

BuCwiLd
on 10/13/08 7:34 am - pocono lake, PA
its normal, dont worry about it. Everyone goes thru it, it grows back.. Your body responds to the stress in this manner
joldaker
on 10/13/08 8:53 am - West Bradford, PA
This happens to everyone and it will get better. Just remember that if it gets to bad you can buy a wig to get you past it.

I would rather go bald then weigh 300 pounds again. I am sure there are others who would back me up on this one.

Remember it is just another bump in the road, and you will get past it.

Jen
Highest Wt 299.8 / Surg Wt 285 / Curr Wt 157
BellaNell
on 10/13/08 11:51 am - Pleasant Mt., PA
 Laura,

Many of us have gone through what you are experiencing...As the other posters have said....this will pass even though it is so traumatic now.  Biotin may help...you can try that.  For me, I just rode it out an all is well now--AND 130 lbs gone to boot!!!
tammypa
on 10/13/08 10:29 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Laura,
As everyone said - it is normal. Not fun - but normal.
I made sure I was getting all of my protein.
I started taking Biotin everyday.
My hairdresser suggested taking some omega 3
fatty acid supplements. I alternate between that one
day and flax oil the next day. We cut most fats out of
our diet and hair needs some oil.
It seems to have helped - or maybe it is just in my head - lol.
Tammy
VickiVega
on 10/13/08 11:24 pm - China Grove, NC
I have to tell all of you, it is very encouraging to know I am not the only one.  I clog my bathroom drain with every shower, every single time I brush my hair my hairbrush looks like it has more hair than I do. Sometimes I am not even sure how I have any hair left to fall out!  I had bypass on May 2nd, so hearing that it usually stops around 8 months or so is very encouraging!

Michelle B.
on 10/14/08 12:41 am - Pennsauken, NJ
Laura
It DOES stop!    My loss started like clockwork around 3 months postop, and by 8 months, had stopped coming out.  It wasn't until about 20 months postop, that I noticed a dramatic change in my hair - coming back fuller, with more texture, and I have a head full of curls!  My hair was poker straight all my life - I used to get perms!  If I let it dry naturally, it's all curls!  Now I have to use a straightener to iron out the frizz... and if it's humid out, forget about it!

The hair loss was the single worst side effect, for me, of the surgery.  It was very depressing for me.  My hairdresser was very helpful in creating styles for me to get through.  I just wanted my hair to grow long, but she had advised me to keep it shorter, on the top, where the loss was so dramatic.  She was right. 

Best of luck to you.  You'll get through it.   If you need anything else, please feel free to contact me!

Michelle
Laureen S.
on 10/14/08 6:50 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Laura,

Other than Biotin supplements and getting your protein in, there is nothing to do but accept it as part of the process.  The hair does come back, I've seen it in family members who've had this surgery before, in the meantime, get your hairdresser to work with what you got.  I lost probably half my hair and am still losing a bit, but I think for me, it has to do with age and hereditary too.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views