Stress Eating and Eating too Quickly....how to stop?

FlourPower
on 10/12/08 9:24 am - PA
O.K. ladies I need some suggestion.  I guess the good part about all of this is that I am aware of the problem and I know that I need to STOP!!

I come home in the evenings between the hours of 9 and 10.  I'm NOT hungry and I WANT to eat.  I guess it's all part of my de-stressing and relaxing.  I'm worried that this is a bad habit.  I have usually eating all of my protein for the day PLUS I don't think it's good to eat that late in the evening.  What do you do to de-stress????  I need some suggestions.

Also I've also noticed that I eat too quickly.  I am suppose to make my food last for 30 minutes.  Instead I'm able to eat everything in about 10-15 maybe at the most 20 minutes.  What do you do to make ever thing last that long???  Maybe I'm taking too big of a  bite???  Maybe I should be using little forks and spoons???? 

My biggest worry is that I'm going to stretch my pouch by eating too quickly?  Do you think this is possible????  UGHHHHH........So, give me some suggestion.....PLEASE!!!

Chrissy

[

jdruski
on 10/12/08 10:20 am - Philadelphia, PA
Chrissy,

I had the same problem, but I get home from work around 4:30 not hungry but would shovel while I was making dinner.  I also got into the habit of eating too quickly.  Unfortunately, the eating too quickly resulted in my getting sick and having to vomit.  I hated that feeling so much that I automatically slowed down.  I am not suggesting making your self sick, yuk, lol. 

After my panni surgery I got very sick and had a hard recovery, I just didn't want to eat.  I swore my GBS doc tightened my pouch up when he fixed my hernia.  Once I went back to work I would come home to my older dog, who had gotten used to my being home, messing in the house.  Of course I needed to clean that up immediately.  I then would make myself busy doing something else.  I still didn't want to eat so I started to drink protein shakes for dinner.  I then started to cook on the weekend so that I would only have to heat it up when I came home. 

I guess that I am suggesting that to keep yourself busy with doing something as soon as you come home.  Eat only when you are hungry and put your protein first.    Coming home and knowing that I might have a mess was stressful and I fully expected it to drive me to the fridge, but I just put it up to a chore that I have to do.  I have a big problem with eating from stress or out of boredom so I can feel your pain.  I have just been trying to take it one minute at a time when those feelings come over me. 

It takes time to change habits.  It is a shame they can't operate on our heads right after they finish on our stomachs.

I wish you much luck.

Jeanne
shoutjoy
on 10/12/08 12:26 pm - Culpeper, VA
Eating too quickly...get some chop sticks.  It may slow you down.

Paula
shoutjoy
on 10/12/08 12:28 pm - Culpeper, VA
Use chop sticks.  They may slow you down.  Using baby utinsels may help too. 

Paula
Patricia R.
on 10/12/08 2:29 pm - Perry, MI
What works for me is relaxation exercises, like deep breathing or meditation.  Or, take a shower or bubble bath.  Problem is, I have not made that a habit yet, so I struggle myself with it.

I also eat too fast.  Problem is, my lunch period at work is only 30 minutes.  By the time I heat my lunch, run to the bathroom, and sit down to eat, I have 15 minutes to swallow it.  I have been trying to eat my lunch during my prep and just have a yogurt during my lunch period.  There is no way I can make a 6 ounce cup of yogurt last more than 15 minutes.

I like the chopsticks idea.  It definitely would slow me down.

Good luck.

Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views