Information on Leaks

callie07
on 10/11/08 8:38 am
Hi,

I'm having my surgery on Tuesday and I'm starting to get a little nervous.  I'm hoping to find out some information about leaks.  What are some of the symptoms?  Also, if I don't have problems within the first week - does that mean I definitely won't have a leak ever?  or how long does it take to be in the clear?  I guess I'm overly nervous because my father had a friend who had RNY and he died because of a leak.  Thanks for your help in advance!

Callie
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/08 8:45 am
I don't have any answers for you.  Have you addressed this with your surgeon?  I'm sure someone here will be able to give you some insight too.

Good luck with your surgery on Tuesday!!!  We will want to hear how you are doing.

HG
Pam Hart
on 10/11/08 4:41 pm - Easton, PA
I have to put in a disclaimer here.....this answer is not meant to scare you at all.  It is, however, truthful.  I'm RNY and just about one year out.  I have not had any leaks...and although did have a bowel obstruction which resolved on its own...I would never change my choice to have this surgery.  I highly reccommend you talk with your surgeon in detail as they are best able to give you the answers you are looking for.  I'm going off my nursing back ground only and could be wrong on these topics....also....ask your surgeon what they do to identify leaks prior to surgery being completed (for example...mine uses a stapling machine to staple the pouch together...then does an endoscopy at the end of the procedure to physically LOOK for holes...then fills the pouch up with fluid with the endoscopy to physically look for leaks)

I think there are multiple answers to this question.  If a leak is defined as the gastric contents leaking out due to a poor suture area...I would assume your risk for that is "over" fairly quickly.

HOWEVER....there are things called "perforations" which are ruptures or holes in any organ not just pouches of RNY people...and perforations are a risk factor for any time after surgery.  Perforations can also happen due to a bowel obstruction which is also another life time risk of any abdominal surgery and definately a big cause for concern for RNY patients.  If a "leak" is defined as a perforation...well....I guess it isn't over fairly quickly.

Also...things like ulcers (more common in those who drink and smoke in combination with RNY but is also a risk factor after RNY alone) can cause perforations...meaning the ulcer gets so deep - it goes through.  That would obviously cause a leak as well.....

You have a right to be nervous...no surgery is without risk.  Then again...crossing the street is never without risk either.  Know that you have done your research with your surgeon and your hospital program.  I believe firmly you MUST have a strong relationship with your surgeon and your surgeon should be comfortable explaining the risks to you...problems they themselves have encountered...having accountability....and be there for the patient not just before and during but after the surgery as well.

I'm sure you will do fine.  You can ask any question here any time!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
callie07
on 10/12/08 12:51 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the information.  I'm going to ask my surgeon a few questions on Monday when I see him.  I'll let you all know how I make out when I'm feeling back up to getting on the computer!

Callie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views