question about recovery time for RNY

deebatt
on 10/11/08 11:49 am - Imperial (Pittsburgh), PA
it may be a little early for me to ask, but i like to plan ahead.  Was just wondering how much time off of work people usually take after RNY surgery.  I know it depends on the individual and what type of work they do, etc...but i just thought i could get a better idea of how most people feel.  I think mostly i'm concerned about energy level and being able to work a full 8 or 10 hour shift. 

Thanks
~Denise
~ Denise 

Laureen S.
on 10/11/08 12:15 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Denise,

You'd be best to discuss this with your surgeon, as there are a lot of variables involved and whether or not you have an open procedure or a laproscopic one and other things.  My doctor suggested 6 weeks post-op, but there have been some people *****turned to work after a week, I believe I've even heard of some *****turned sooner.  Please realize that no matter which procedure you have, it is still a major surgical procedure, there are things you need to do in the weeks post-operatively that if you have a job where you can't get the proper time in to take in nourishment and fluids, it might be better to take the full amount of post-op time.  So depending on what it is you do, ask your surgeon what he/she recommends you do.

Best wishes, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

JillZ
on 10/11/08 1:37 pm - Warrington, PA
Hi, I had Lap. RNY and I took 4 weeks off.  I could have gone back to work after 3 weeks but it just worked out that I already had a planned vacation so I kept it.  I had to be cleared to lift as I work with patients in a hospital and I was cleared by then.  It's always good to plan ahead!  Best of luck.

Patricia R.
on 10/11/08 1:40 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Denise,
Congratulations on researching and pursuing RNY.  Also, welcome to the PA forum.  We are a terrific WLS family. 

Laureen is right, each individual is different, and it depends on the open/lap procedure.  I had open RNY, and I took 6 weeks.  I am also a 7th grade teacher, so I am on my feet all day, and running around a classroom.

Talk to your surgeon.  Remember that you are having major surgery regardless of the type of procedure.

good luck,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

sbrunell
on 10/11/08 1:57 pm - Bensalem, PA
I am sure this is varies on an individualized basis, but here goes my scenario.
Surgery on Friday.
Home Sunday
Took last pain med Monday nite, so I would make sure I would sleep the nite.
Wed- drove myself to the Barix support group meeting.
My company allowed me to work from home for two weeks, so I did, but it wasn't really necessary.

My wife had the surgery on a Thursday,
Home Saturday,
Work on Monday.
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Pam Hart
on 10/11/08 4:06 pm - Easton, PA
It really really depends on your job and your healing like everyone else said.  Gina was back to work in one week - and yes - she was very fatigued by the end of each day and for quite some time afterwards.....

I personally am an extended leave considering most RNY cases.  Dr. P told me because I was an ER nurse and had no option to return with light duty or no lifting, and also could not guarantee that I would not be physically assaulted while at work (it has happened before) I would be out for the full 6 weeks.  I had an unrelated heart problem that I needed cleared by a cardiologist - and that took an additional two weeks (so we're up to 8) and then she took me out an extra week after at my request because I was greedy and it would have meant returning the week before Christmas and my employer would have had me working Christmas eve and the following 4 nights....which just would have stunk....so I went back to work on Dec 26th so I could enjoy the holiday.

Discuss it with your doctor in detail.  I personally knew that I wanted to be somewhat comfortable with eating by the time I returned to work.  My co workers knew about my surgery - but I didn't want to be on full liquids while everyone else was eating food at the nurses station (mind you - I had very few problems with this at home...even went out to a restaurant for thanksgiving on pureed foods but for some reason work is a trigger and I didn't want to put myself in that position)  It should also be mentioned that I am a jersey girl and state law here is that we have short term disability coverage which covers 60% of the pay and my employer benefits pick up the rest....so I had the comfort of being at full pay the entire time I was out.  If that wasn't the case....I can guarantee you I would have been back much sooner.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
lauraanne715
on 10/11/08 9:43 pm - Pottstown, PA
Hi Denise--
Welcome to the PA board!! Like the previous posters said it really varies between what kind of job you have and how your body reacts to the surgery.  I am a teacher and was initially scheduled out for 2 weeks but recovery took a bit longer and I wound out being out for 3 weeks and then had the rest of the summer to take care of myself!! It all depends...I would talk it over with your surgeon and just take it from there!

Good luck!!

Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

Patti M.
on 10/11/08 10:40 pm, edited 10/11/08 10:40 pm
Hi Denise,

Like everyone has said, it all depends on what type of surgery (open or lap) and your job etc.  I am an accountant and had open RNY.  I was out 3 weeks and went back to work for 1/2 days (for the most part) my first week.  Just talk to your dr and see what they recommend.

Patti      
Melanie B.
on 10/12/08 11:50 pm - Doylestown, PA
I had a LAP RNY and planned to only take a week and a half, but I ended up talking just shy of 3 weeks.

I was simply just too weak and tired all the time to go back. i have a desk job and was most likely physically capable (meaning healing wise) but the malnutrition and/or anesthesia really took a toll on me.

good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views