Acceptance

KENSLOVER
on 10/10/08 6:20 am - PA
I haven't even seen the weight loss dr. yet, but when I talked to my Insurance Company, they said they don't cover WLS.  I have BCBS of Michigan.  Should I still go to the appointment or just forget it and cry.
Nicole0216
on 10/10/08 7:17 am - Lancaster, PA
I would have your insurance company send you in writing and exclusions they may have. Dont rely on some random customer service person. I would call the surgeons office and ask them if they have had any other patients with your insurance and how they got them covered.
jackie j
on 10/10/08 7:21 am - Glenmoore, PA
Never hurts to go and get info.   Depends on how much you need this and how willing you are to fight.   There are people on this board that have switched their jobs  to get coverage for this; several that have jumped through hoops for 2+ years documenting diets and doctors, being turned down and appealing.  You have to advocate for yourself, this is NO easy ride and this is the very beginning of the whole long journey.   Few insurance companies want to cover this even if its proved to be more cost effective in the long run.   If this sets you back to tears perhaps you just need to step back.   Unfortunately, this is your first reality check.....hope it gets easier for u.

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/08 6:03 am - Horsham, PA
Some policies say WLS not covered unless medically proven to be neccessary.
Some have a total exculsion.
You may be able to get different insurance that does cover the WLS or even purchase a rider with the coverage for WLS. Good Luck on your journey. I would go to the seminar and start learning now, there are lots of choices and so much information to get your head around.
Jeanne
Jackie W.
on 10/11/08 9:34 am
Wow, you are the first one that I've seen that has my insurance!!  I would find out if it is an "exclusion" or what.  If it is an exclusion, then it isn't covered.  Sometimes they say its not covered, unless the criteria is met. 

Do you know which insurance you have, PPO Blue Care, PPO, etc?

You can set the appt and go to it, they will find out from the insurance company the details.  With mine I had to do a 12 month diet, psych visit, etc. 

Good luck!

There are never any problems, only solutions.  quoted by a dear and special friend!!!

My stats:
Starting weight 234 lbs    Height 5 ft 6 in
Goal in 7 months (127 lbs)
Currently: 120-123 lbs
Tops Small   Bottoms size 2!!!!
UPDATED: 11/11

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views