Need some feedback...I'm frustrated and down today

ladychief231
on 10/7/08 11:26 pm - Douglassville, PA
Hi All,

I'm trying not to be down but I am and I need a pick-me-up . I'm six months out, working out 3-4 days a week at the gym, eating well but not meeting protein goal everyday, and I've lost 2 pounds in a month. I've tried changing my food up...all the tricks that we tell each other to do but still stuck.

My protein goal is 64 gr a day. I meet that maybe 2 times a week. On average I get in 50 grams. Could this really be the main problem? I consume on average 600 to 800 cal per day. The carbs I eat come from fruit, cereal (special K), beans, 1/2 muffin on occasion. even though I feel like I an eating all the time could I not be getting enough calories? If you do the math as Pam suggested earlier this week with working out I would say I burn off about half of what I'm eating which leaves few calories for the day. You would think I would be melting away quickly.

Do I drink 64 oz of water? most days yes.

I would appreciate any feedback even if it is telling me to be patient and chill already.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

Shannon O.
on 10/7/08 11:30 pm - Reading, PA
I can't tell you anything calories wise hehehe because you have seen my last posting... I'm still trying to figure out what I should be hitting lol...

But, you have to meet those protein goals... mine is 64g as well... if you don't meet them your muscles can't repair themselves... I normally have a protein shake in the morning to help meet those goals...

But, I would ditch the muffin... and trade it in for veggies...

Laureen S.
on 10/7/08 11:36 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Teresa,

First off, at about 6 months I hit my first major stall, so that might be what you are experiencing. . .  however, you really do need to meet your protein goals daily,  if you add one shake a day, that will take you to your goals there as well as increase your fluid consumption. . .  Also, I think, if you have the opportunity, you should ask your nutritionist for some feedback on what you are eating and are you tracking your food intake daily on Fitday or one of the other free online food logs?  You say you are hitting the gym 3 to 4 days a week, try a new class or switch around your exercise routine.  Believe me, I understand your frustration, as I am sure others here will attest to, this journey has it's fair share of them, but if you do your Protein, Exercise and water as instructured, you will break the stall eventually.

Wishing you continued "successing", Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

dit657
on 10/7/08 11:47 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Hi Teresa - I'm about 7 1/2 months out and am feeling the same thing - the scale has been moving like a turtle, if at all - I think I might be getting too many proteins in a day! My daily goal is 73 but I average around 80. And I've been exercising 5-6 times a week - some days clothes feel looser - other days I feel like a tub. And it is frustrating because I know I keep thinking 'god, I have another 60 pounds to lose - this can't be it!', but I see other people stall around this time and think it might just be a normal thing for us?

You're not alone - I'm trying not to get down about it, too - but its hard sometimes. Hang in there, tho - it will start coming off again. When I get back from vacation I'm going to change up my work-out routine a little bit - add some things, etc. Maybe that will help me past this stinking stall too.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
ladychief231
on 10/7/08 11:59 pm - Douglassville, PA
Thank you for your comments so far.

I wanted to aske this question too....what is your take on mixed nuts? I measure out 1/4 cup into snack bags and I snack on one bag a day while at work. I know they are high fat but the nutrition, fiber, and protein I'm hoping out weights the fat.

Thanks,
T

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

dit657
on 10/8/08 3:02 am - Boothwyn, PA
Planters has a South Beach Diet Nut mix from their NUT-rition line - they're low in carbs (7 g); low in sugar (1 g) and good in protein (5g) per serving - fat is 15 g -  which is about 21 pieces.Its a mix of almonds, cashews and macadamia nuts. I like to keep them around because I LOVE nuts and they satisfy a salty craving when I have one. They're not cheap (about $6.50 a can), but a can lasts me quite a while.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Shannon O.
on 10/8/08 7:33 am - Reading, PA
The nuts have told me many time to add nuts to my diet and I do when they are on sale... I normally just get the low salt dry roasted ones... or when at my in-laws sneak some cashews hehehe... but just a few...

Pam Hart
on 10/8/08 12:02 am - Easton, PA
For me, personally, I do not do well with added carbs other than those from dairy and fruit.  That being said, things like the 1/2 a muffin and the cereal specifically are generally out for me (this weeks menu will have more carbs as I am low on some foods and can't go food shopping until Friday)

Protein is very important for your health and you are aware.  You may need to encorporate more protein.  Some of my staples that pack a protein punch without doing the shake thing:

1/2 cup ff ricotta cheese = 20 gm of protein (I eat mine sweetened w/ splenda and cinnamon for a dessert like treat or heated up w/ spaghetti sauce and mozz cheese for an italian dish feel)

6 ounces Chanobi yogurt = 18 gm protein (I sweeten mine w/ sf davinci syrup and some berries, or splenda and sf jam.  Others use crystal lite powder, sf jello crystals, etc)

2 polly-o string cheese 16gm

A typical menu looks like this:

Greek yogurt 18gm
2 cheesesticks 16gm
Salad w/ 3 ounces chicken 21gm (more chicken than veggies in this case)
1/2 cup ricotta cheese 20 gm (although I have been hungrier and at 11 mos out sometimes have 3/4 cup for 30gm)
Chicken or red meat for dinner (chilli, burgers, meatballs) 21-28gm

Those 5 meals have 76gm of protein in.  Now, most of the time my meals are not your traditional "well rounded" meals meaning I don't have many veggies, fruits, or carbs.  That's why I add berries to my yogurt and try to get in a salad or something with lunch or dinner.

People at work think it's funny that sometimes my "lunch" is ricotta cheese and that's about it (sometimes some nuts or whatever on the side) but it is what works for me.

I think the other posters of tracking everything on fit day is a good idea.  I used fitday for quite some time and it worked well for me - but now I just kind of "know" what I'm getting.

Also, they are so right on w/ stalls at 6 mos.  Keep up the good fight!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Eileen51
on 10/8/08 2:01 am

Teresa,

My protein goal is also 64 grams, but I find that I feel better if I am for more.  Add a protein drink or cheese - but try to do a better job at getting more protein.  (Are you taking your vitamins - calcium in particular - you promised at the support meeting that you would).  Also, try to get in more fluids.  You've been exercising a lot and could be putting your body in dehydration. 

I, too, went into a real spiral when it came to the scale moving at about 6 months.  BUT - even though the scale wasn't moving, my clothes were getting bigger on me.  I was told that it takes the body more time to catch up to what the scale says.  I don't know if that is correct, but I do find that when the scale stops moving, my clothes start to get bigger.

Don't get frustrated - remember that we are in this for the rest of our lives and now is the time to start habits (like getting the protein and liquids, and all of our vitamins) that we need to stick to FOREVER.  I know it is easier to say, but much more difficult to live - but you need to do what is best for your body so that your body can reward you with staying healthy for the rest ofyour life.

Good luck,

Eileen

p.s.  I have a bag of clothes ready to bring to you next month.  Did you say that you don't need jeans?

ladychief231
on 10/8/08 3:04 am - Douglassville, PA
Thanks Eileen! I ordered new calcium tabs right after the meeting and yes I'm doing better at taking them. I will work harder on the protein goal....it's a drag sometimes but you are right, this is a lifetime change. I'd better suck it up and get used to it.

It is helping to hear that others had major stalls at six months.

I'm good on jeans and I'll be looking forward to the bag of new clothes! THANK YOU.

Thanks everyone for your time and comments today. You guys are the best.

Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views