Question for those who are gall bladder-less

Liz R.
on 10/7/08 10:56 pm - Easton, PA
I had my gall bladder out 2-1/2 weeks ago after battling with it for MONTHS. Well I was told that the worse shape it was in the harder the recovery. Well I have found that fat and meat are the enemies. Now normally this isn't all that big of a deal - but since we rely so heavily on protein this concerns me. I get very ill and become good friends with the toilet if I eat anything remotely fatty or greasy (as of late this has come to include 2% milk fat cheese) and well almost any meat. I am starting to worry. I am going to call Dr Brader today - just to let him know that I had the surgery, he wanted to be kept posted.

Just wondering if this is part of the healing process or something that I am going to have to adjust my life for?

Also, still having the pain in the lower left of my abdomen since surgery - Shauna thought that it might be a fluid pocket. Surgeon told me to give it 2 weeks and see how it feels so I am waiting it out. THANK GOD the pain that sent me to see the Dr in the first place is gone though!

Thanks to everyone for being so wonderful through all of this!

Liz
NANCYL
on 10/7/08 11:06 pm - PHILA, PA
Liz,
HI I had my gallbladder out when I had my RNY, but YES I still after 2 years have problems with certain foods and I always blame it on my gallbladder. My sister who does not have a weight problem and it a tiny thing( Yes lets all hate her) LOL also had her gallbladder out about 3 years ago and she too still has problems, I was told that the gallbladder "filters" out and with out that I guess we have to get rid of it some how!

Your pain and problems my still be because you are so newly out of having surgery just give it some more time  to heal you did have major surgery, and always call the Dr if you think there is a problem. I always believe we know our bodies the best and if we are having a problem we should know right????

Hope all is well with you and I am so bummed that I missed everyone last Saturday.

Nancy
Liz R.
on 10/7/08 11:09 pm - Easton, PA
Thanks Nancy! At least I know I am not the only one.

I have to remind myself that I did have major surgery 2-1/2 weeks ago because the incisions are so small and are just about healed over. I will give it time, but will be sure to call the Dr if I think that there is a reason to worry.

We missed you last weekend too!

Liz
Pam Hart
on 10/8/08 12:17 am - Easton, PA
Fat will be your enemy.  The role of the gallbladder is to secrete enzymes to break down fat and to also store excess fat, even if temporarily, after ingesting it.  That being said when your body is given fat, it doesn't have the resources in it to "digest" it if you will.

I'm not sure about the meat thing...but depending on the meat, I guess it could be related to that.

I think calling Brader is an excellent idea - maybe he will have some advice for you.  It also couldn't hurt to call the surgeon.  He might be the one to be able to tell you if this whole meat/fat thing is a reasonable thing to expect.

You are INCREDIBLY active for just having surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago - going back to work after one week and all the activity you did this weekend is a testament to that.  Try to take it easy on yourself.

Oh - and about the cooking thing - Brian and I obviously don't eat at the same times (He thinks 8am is a bit early to eat dinner, silly man)  I have gotten really good at making meals for the two of us when I get home from work and putting a plate aside for him as well as putting extra portions aside for me.  If you are having trouble adjusting to "feeding yourself" (as I have trouble with that too) maybe a few times a week (3?) cook a regular meal as if Chris WERE home and put the left overs in the fridge.  I don't know how he feels about left overs....but it might help you plan a little bit better.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 10/8/08 12:26 am - Easton, PA
Thanks Miss Nursey - I firmly stand by the fact that you nurses know more then 99% of the doctors!  iwill call Dr Brader later today just to make him aware. The surgeon isn't the best about "follow up" he does great surgery but his bed side manner isn't the best. I will call him if I have to though.

I had a feeling that was the case with the fat and the meat - I'll just have to experiment. Good news is this all has the scale moving in the right direction again! Maybe goal by my 2 years isnt' all that unreasonable.

I have been active - your right. I do need to slow down - although that is though because physically I am about 90% feeling better. I know I am still healing though - I try and remember back to how terrible I felt 2-1/2 weeks after my bypass. This weekend I will try and get some rest - most of the stuff I have to do is running around shopping things - much easier then the physical labor I make Chris do! :)

As for dinner Chris won't eat leftovers - he is a pain. I have been trying to cook myself something every night - I just have to plan better - and well grocery shopping would help too! lol

Thanks again Pam! :)

Liz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views