Something pretty amazing happened at work today...

GD_007
on 10/7/08 12:07 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
Thanks Karen.... unfortunately it comes from many years of being psycologically manipulated by others - LOL !! 

Hope to see you next week,
-GD
ktreavis
on 10/7/08 9:14 am - PA
That really made me smile and gave me some hope. We can win these battles with food and others. You are doing a fantastic job. - Katie

Progress not perfection

GD_007
on 10/7/08 12:14 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
Thanks Katie!  Keep fighting the fight!! 

As  a great leader once said:
Stopped they must be; on this all depends. Only a fully-trained Jedi Knight, with the Force as his/her ally, will conquer ....THE EVIL CANDY DISH

or something like that 

Hope to see you next week (hunt me down),
-GD
Pam Hart
on 10/7/08 11:40 am - Easton, PA
Well is "Amethyst" a gem in and of herself (pun intended)!

I'm very impressed by your actions, many people would just complain to others and not do anything about it.

I'm glad this went over sooooo well!!  Way to go, you deserve BIG PROPS on that one!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
GD_007
on 10/7/08 12:19 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
Hey Pam,

Thanks.  

"Amethyst" is a new employee that started when I was out on FMLA.  She also deserves a bunch of credit since she's the one *****ally takes the time to put these goodies together.  And, you know, that those cherry tomatoes don't wash and bag themselves.

If I knew her better I'd have given her a hug. 

Hope to see you and the hubby next week!
-GD

Jackie W.
on 10/7/08 12:07 pm
HI Greg!  I normally just lurk here, but I have to comment!  That is wonderful that she took you advice to heart and felt your support for the healthy choices!!!  What is even better...is that others are feeling the urge to take the healthy stuff over the less than healthy snacks!!  Hopefully the VP will see how well the healthy stuff is going over and decides to help keep it mixed!!  Good for you!  And good for Amethyst!!  Way to go!!!

There are never any problems, only solutions.  quoted by a dear and special friend!!!

My stats:
Starting weight 234 lbs    Height 5 ft 6 in
Goal in 7 months (127 lbs)
Currently: 120-123 lbs
Tops Small   Bottoms size 2!!!!
UPDATED: 11/11

GD_007
on 10/7/08 12:33 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
Jackie,

Well I'm glad I pulled you outta the shadows :)

You are 100% correct - "Amethyst" deserves big kudos since she's the one *****ally takes the time preparing everything for the office/floor.

As for the VP....I've got that covered.  The healthy food isn't going anywhere as I've spun it, to him, as "a motivator for the staff" and "what a great idea you're new person is doing.  Very innovative.".  You know executives LOVE to hear good things (with a few buzz words thrown in)about the staff they have working for them  .....  AS for him as an individual it, unfortunately, might be one of those "Now Greg weights less than me, so I better lose weight" moments (a la a former post from Karen, several weeks ago).

EIther way - if we can inspire others to making healthier choices and adopt sometype of regular exercise we've won a battle against the great evil. 

AS A GREAT LEADER HAS SAID:
“Named must your fear be before bani**** you can.”

Hope to see you chime in more often,
-GD
Patricia R.
on 10/7/08 2:00 pm - Perry, MI

I love this story.  The fruit and sunflower seeds is a great alternative for your colleagues.  Plus, you can encourage your boss, or colleagues in the fact that eating the healthier food will lead to healthier people working, and less sick time, or down time due to low blood sugar, which is a by-product of those sugary snacks.

I teach middle school, and can attest to the effect that sugar has on behavior and ability to keep going and going and going, or NOT.  My morning classes are great, my afternoon classes are nuts immediately after lunch, then they lag.  Lunch has too many sugary options to suit me.

Keep fighting the good fight. 

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Liz R.
on 10/7/08 8:29 pm - Easton, PA
Greg - Great Job! My office did something similar, but I was very open about my surgery, we now have just 1 small "gumball" machine of M&M's. I admit if I am having a bad day I will steal 2 or 3 but most of the time they have no effect on me. WE also have pretzels and other snacks.

My hardest thing will be around the holidays when the gifts from clients and vendors start rolling in... most of the office eats pretty healthy so we usually just shuttle the junk right down to the guys in the shop.

Great step for WLS kind! :)

Liz
dit657
on 10/7/08 9:48 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Good for you!! This is a great idea - I myself am keeper of the candy dish in our area - it sits on my counter right in front of me, but I KNOW I dump, so it keeps me out of it. I no longer buy for the candy dish, either - that's my way of not contributing to what others are eating. But most of the people in my office are pretty healthy and carry good weights - they walk, run and bike at lunch - very active group. But they do miss the candy dish when its not there.

I do keep a small dish of sf treats for myself if I really get the urge for something but its hidden on my desk - I know if I put it out there people would dive into it. During our last birthday celebration I made 2 sugar free pies to go along with the usual chocolate layer cake, and lo and behold my pies went first! So people do want to eat healthier but if the junk is around they'll latch on to that, too.

Keep fighting the good fight!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views