Something pretty amazing happened at work today...

GD_007
on 10/7/08 6:27 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Hey all,   Well something pretty amazing happened at work today and I wanted to share it with a group of people that could relate to my happiness.    For any of us that work at a company I’m sure you know about “the candy dish” that is available for anyone to grab from. These “candy dishes” are usually placed in strategic positions so that those of us that *try* to avoid them simply can’t. My work place is no different. We have a large candy dish area that is located along a path I am forced to walk daily. Now the *fear* of dumping keeps me away from sweets/bad foods however the temptation is still there – if only very subtly. I don’t like being tempted in this way so I decided to combat the evil candy dish.    Now for those that have not read any of my former posts –I’m one of those people that has decided to *not* tell my co-workers about my RNY. So I had to handle this battle slightly different.   The other day I casually raised the topic of healthy food choices to the lady that “hosts” the candy dish – we’ll called her Amethyst. I was pleased to learn Amethyst was receptive to my comments and she herself likes healthy choices and only loads the candy dish with sweets due to our VP’s preferences. Our VP, BTW, is one of *those people* that could eat a whole freaking cheesecake and actually lose weight and still look great. …but I digress. So after Amethyst & I spoke about health food choices, last week, I noticed that on Monday there were some packets of pre-seeded sunflower seeds and a handful of raisin packets amongst the assortment of Halloween-ish candy choices. I happily put my laptop down at my desk and came back for a sunflower packet. Low and behold – the sunflower seeds were missing. Amethyst looked up and said, “Oh hi Greg, I put a few health food choices out today and they’ve been flying off the shelf.” She reached in her bag and handed me a sunflower packet. I, of course, said thank you and retuned with a couple dollars of change for “the healthy dish” and simply commented “I really liked those sunflower seeds and raisins. What a great idea you had. Here are a few dollars to support our health choices, Amethyst”.   Had it been left at that – I wouldn’t have posted anything and simply been happy to pick through the candy to find the handful of raisin packets.
  Today, when I came into work, here is the cornucopia that I saw:

Now nearly 2/3rds of the selections are HEALTHY CHIOCES!!!   In the pictures you see oranges, pre-packaged fresh cherry tomatoes, pre-shelled sunflower seeds, apples, packets of wheat crackers, raisin packets and the evil candy dish relegated to the corner – representing a miniscule 1/3 of the selection. When I saw Amethyst today she commented that a few people gave “the candy dish area a weird look” but a large percentage of folks, she observed, have been selecting from the healthy options.
    ahhhh…. One small step for me, one giant leap for my colleagues     I WON *THIS BATTLE*, EVIL CANDY DISH, AND WILL CONTINUE TO FIGHT THIS WAR AGAINST YOU WITH ALL MY MIGHT!!!! 

Thanks for reading,
-GD
sbrunell
on 10/7/08 6:59 am - Bensalem, PA
My whole job is the candy dish....I sell food!
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

GD_007
on 10/7/08 11:39 am - Drexel Hill, PA
...but healthly food, Mr. "fish guy".

Thanks Steve - hope to see you next week.

-GD
(deactivated member)
on 10/7/08 7:20 am
Good Job on getting the healthy food carvan running through! We have a pumpkin filled with Halloween candy plus to others jars on the frint counter right where I sit and it doesn't even phase me at this point I open my drawer and it is stocked with protein goodies!  
GD_007
on 10/7/08 11:42 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Thanks Beth.  I do get "phased" or "tempted", once and a while, but I tell myself "nothing tastes better than being healthy"....sometimes repeatly in my head to the point I feel like Rain Man...

-GD
(deactivated member)
on 10/7/08 7:56 am, edited 10/7/08 7:56 am
I hate our evil snack table in the kitchen....it has something on it at least two days a week.  I guess it's not nearly as bad as in some offices though.  It's hard to stay away from!!

Good for you for taking up the fight against the evil candy dish!!!

HG
GD_007
on 10/7/08 11:46 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Thanks Heather!  I will continue to fight the good fight .....

BUY WAR BONDS!! 

-GD
Ready4 AChange
on 10/7/08 9:04 am - Upper Chichester, PA
That's great ! Now you need to start a "walking lunch " ? I wonder how many people would join you

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

GD_007
on 10/7/08 12:03 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
Sandy,
...just one step at time....umm, pun intended .

I have motivated a few people, though, to start taking stairs when we have meetings just a few floors up or down of where we sit.

L8R,
-GD
bubble273
on 10/7/08 9:04 am - Levittown, PA
Greg,

That is sooooooooooooo frigin' fantastic!!!  I love the fact that you have been able to turn your office around!!!  All the while, not revealing one of your main reasons for wanting it different!!  That's awesome.  Good for you.

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views