Another goal accomplished!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/08 12:22 pm
When I first started this journey, I wrote out a list of goals.  I have met many of them and tonight I was able to check off one more.  I started taking Karate tonight!  Even though I don't know what I am doing yet...and I can be a bit of a slow learner, it felt so empowering.  One of the things karate is good for is teaching you to defend yourself.  I was stalked and attacked when I was 21 and I know I am not the only woman here that has something similar in their past.  It's not something you ever completely get over.  It f*cks with your head and you never know when something is going to bring up the fears or make you panic.  Even men you trust completely can trigger fear without even realizing they are doing it.  Although the attack happened in June, for some reason, the fall tends to bring back some of the fear, anxiety, etc.  I wonder if it has to do with days getting darker earlier, but regardless of why, it happens and it is something I have had to accept as part of who I am.  This may be why I finally made the leap and signed up for the class...I want to be able to protect myself...especially the lighter I get.  I smaller I become, the more vulnerable I feel.  The topic never comes up, but I wonder if other woman feel the same way?? 

Anyway....I didn't mean to get off on that....so...if you are looking for something to shake up your fitness routine (Let me tell you, I was sweating my ass off)...you might want to give it a try.  I was a bit intimidated at first...I was the only woman, but it was great once I got started. 

Now, I am off to look at my "to do" list to see what other goals still need to be accomplished!

Heather G
Shannon O.
on 10/6/08 12:49 pm - Reading, PA
That is so awesome Heather... I want to take a karate class as well... but I wanna wait till after I get the boobs fixed lol... can't do some of the arm moves with them in the way lol...

What are some of your other goals... I think I need some new ones to help me get my spark back...

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/08 1:02 pm
Some of my other goals are to run a 5K (I walked one on july 4th) and run in a cancer fundraising related run...like the one for ovarian cancer.  I still need to meet my surgeons goal weight and get my bottom half into ALL misses sizes....I am still teetering between the low end of womens sizes and the high end of misses. 
Pam Hart
on 10/6/08 2:14 pm - Easton, PA
Good for you Heather!!

I too find myself a bit more "vulnerable" and something along these lines would definately be something I would be interested in at some point in time.  In fact, Brian is a martial arts expert...he did try to teach me...but in all honesty his training style and me don't mix - so that fizzled out fast.  And if I take a class I can guarantee you I wouldn't be able to practice with him - cause it wouldn't be "his" way and therefore, wrong.  Stupid men ;-P

Great goal!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Mary Benford
on 10/6/08 6:56 pm - Emmaus, PA
Heather,

Enjoy those classes and the empowerment they're going to give you!!!  :)

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

Jackie Smith
on 10/6/08 9:16 pm - Coatesville, PA
Way to go Heather!  I can't wait to start checking off some of my physical goals. 
Jackie
bubble273
on 10/6/08 9:54 pm - Levittown, PA
That's GREAT, Heather!!!  WAY TO GO!!!!  I wish you all the luck with it.  I know you'll be kicking all those guys' butts in a few months!!!

Karen

Arlene E.
on 10/6/08 9:56 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Heather

Good for you!!!!!  I took kickboxing at my gym, and it does feel powerful to feel in control.   I cannot imagine how horrible it is to be attacked.  I hope as you become more empowered your fears and anxiousness lessen.  Keep us posted as to how it's going.

Arlene 

ladychief231
on 10/6/08 10:11 pm - Douglassville, PA
Good Job Heather. Enjoy those classes and kick some butt.
Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

dit657
on 10/6/08 10:42 pm - Boothwyn, PA
I just read a great story about a woman who was overweight and very shy, but her two sons took karate and one day she felt like she wanted to try it - and she loved it!! She was intimated at first because of her size, but soon fit in and has lost quite a bit of weight just doing that.

I think its fantastic that you're doing this - it sounds great! I'm not sure my bionic knees could take the kicking part, tho. But go, have a great time, and god help the next guy who tries to stalk you!!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views