What are your TRUE feelings about the gym?

bubble273
on 10/6/08 6:24 am - Levittown, PA
Hi Mary,

Like I told you in a PM, exercising hasn't been a major part of my WLS journey.  I have a membership to Planet Fitness and when I did go I enjoyed it.  I pay basically $20 a month and haven't gone in 6 months.  I was ill in those 6 months and haven't felt like doing anything but trying to feel better and be done with all the tubes.  Now that the tubes are all gone and I'm back to myself, I'm going to go back to the gym.  My schedule is so sporadic that I can't ever go at the same time.  So that's hard, but definitely not a good enough excuse not to go.

I never liked exercising and I don't think I ever will, but I know it's for the best.  I want to not only be weight healthy, I want to be heart healthy.  That is so very important.  I actually have off work tomorrow.  So maybe tomorrow would be a good start for me to get something started again.  My problem is I would love to have a personal trainer show me all the things I need to do, but I just can't afford it.  And I need desparate help on the weight machines and to know what exactly I need to be doing to strengthen my muscles.

Thanks for your post and making us all confess to our not so good habits!!!  Hopefully this will kick us all into gear.  I think it's a personal preference with going to the gym versus at home.  If you have the tools to do it at home, then I say forget about the gym and do it at home.

Karen

Ready4 AChange
on 10/6/08 7:02 am - Upper Chichester, PA
My biggest problem is getting out to do anything ! Once I'm out I'm ok . Our township has a rec center. Indoor track, tredmills, couple of elipticals , weights. I went this morning and walked the track. I don't like to be "watched" so I didn't go in the weight room. Even though there were only a couple of elderly men in there.  I was there for about an hour then I had to leave cause my daughter was bringing the baby over so I could watch her while mom went to work.
I am going to try to get there the days I don't have the baby.
I'm starting to gain and I don't want that .....

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

Arlene E.
on 10/6/08 8:47 am - Philadelphia, PA

It is hard to believe that this is me writing this, but I like to go to the gym and do so 5-6 days per week.  With that being said, I am fortunate that I have the time and can go first thing in the morning.  The gym is a small women's place with a wonderful owner who has helped keep me motivated.  I love her step classes and strength training program.  The same group is there almost every day so I look forward to seeing and chatting with them. One of my goals when I began this journey was to make exercise a regular part of my life so I have accomplished that.  I know that if I don't exercise I will not be able to maintain my weight.  And I know that I will not do it alone at home, so for me this gym is now my number one priority.  

P.S. Mary, the consultation went well.  I loved the surgeon and he has come highly recommended.  I still have a few more consults and will then make a decision.  I do have a hernia, which is the only thing that will be covered.   I'm planning on tummy, outer thigh and breast lift which needs to be done in stages.   

Pam Hart
on 10/6/08 9:23 am - Easton, PA
Mary,

I haven't been to the gym. I have been exercising - just not at the gym.  And I'm cancelling my membership with the whole move thing.

Did I like the gym?  Yea - I did for a time.  In the beginning I did the treadmill and the elliptical.  Walking on the treadmill and interval on the elliptical.  Then I found the arc and as much as I loved it - I found I couldn't get a good enough work out in.

I despise weights, which is hysterical to say the least.  At my heavy weight I LOVED weights.  Basically because I was "strong" which I am quickly figuring out was not the truth - rather - had body weight behind me to get things moving.  Not necessarily with weight machines and the such - but more with moving furniture and what not.

I did find a spin class that I absolutely LOVED.  It was an awesome work out - got me there every week, and kept me entertained.  Unfortunately due to my work schedule I could only go once a week.  However....it was at the beginning of the week and got me there and started off the theme for the week.

To be perfectly honest - the 5k training "did me in" if you will.  Mentally I felt I needed to run it (which I did not, by the way....I did some jogging intermittent with a very very brisk walking)  I was training on the treadmill jogging.  And ya know what - I absolutely despised every single second running.  But for some reason....I decided I "needed" to do this.

After the 5k I just couldn't stand walking back into the gym.

Do I like to work out at the gym and do I pay for it?  Yes, I pay for it...and it's an awesome gym....sauna, pool, weights galore, ellipticals, treadmills, arc trainers, weight classes, dance classes, spin classes, belly dancing classes....you name it, they got it and it's all included.  $50 bucks a month w/ my employee discount.

In all honesty I will look for a gym where I am moving....see what LVH has to offer as well.  Because I know in the winter months I will become less active if I don't.  I DO want to start working out at home w/ dvds and such.  My current house does not allow me to....it is a very long and narrow home and it would be like trying to do step aerobics and yoga in a hallway, not to mention having to move a bunch of furniture just to be able to do that.  I'm hoping once we get the new place set up I will have a place to do so.  While I am looking at gyms, for that reason, I will be looking for one without a yearly contract.

I don't know if I answered your question....I know that post was all over the place.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
GD_007
on 10/6/08 9:39 am - Drexel Hill, PA
I love the gym.  I pay $8/month for Bally and will start to pay $40/month for my work gym (includes cleaning of my dirty workout clothes and returned in my private locker within 24 hrs).
-GD
J. M.
on 10/6/08 11:48 am
GASP! How did you score $8 a month at Balys????  I'm paying $40. Are you under some crazy lifetime contract???

~ Jen   

GD_007
on 10/6/08 1:26 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
Yes I am and I can't bring myself to cancel it because it's so cheap.  Everytime my wife sees the credit card charge, and we're talking about cutting back expenses, she always wants to cut out Ballys.  It's *actually* $16/month for both my wife & I.  I had a 3 yr membership (at $40/month) from 2002-2005 (check out the "dip" in my weight loss graph).  After the 3 years it went down to $14/month....they've raised the rates on me once.
Shannon O.
on 10/6/08 9:43 am - Reading, PA
I pay $24.99 a month for Gold's Gym and it has free babysitting and once the new location opens I will have a free membership and Jeremy will take my old membership...

I love going to the gym...

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/08 10:17 am - Poconos, PA
I'll admit that exercise is definitely not my favorite thing in the world but I know that I have to do it if I want to keep my weight down and stay healthy. As far as gyms go, the only thing I have against many gyms is the insane amount of money some of them charge you for a "registration fee" when you first join. I never have and never will understand what it's for exactly. Many claim it's for the time it takes to complete the new member forms etc and I say, I'm the one filling them out so shouldn't they be paying me? lol...just kidding. That's really my only gripe with them but I work out at home simply because it's more convienient especially after a long day at work plus I like the privacy that I have. I have an elliptical machine, a recumbent bike, and a home gym weight bench. Before I starting having back pain, I would do cardio about 4 days a week and work out with weights 3 times a week alternating the upper and lower body. It was working very well for me.
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/08 11:56 am
I pay $10.99/month at my new gym....Rascal's.  It's alot like Planet Fitness, but a bit smaller.  I like the gym, but it can be hard motivating my self to go.  Tonight I started taking Karate.  It was one of my post op goals and now I can check it off my "to do" list.  It was me and a bunch of men...although I hear there are 3 high school girls that also take the class.  It is going to cost me $99.00 per month for 2 classes a week...and I can choose the days I go.  I figure it is a good investment and what woman doesn't need to learn self defense??? 

HG
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views