What are your TRUE feelings about the gym?

Mary Benford
on 10/6/08 4:22 am - Emmaus, PA
This isn't a post about wether you exercise or not...    we all know a good fitness regimin is ESSENTIAL to your progress, and to help maintain your weight loss.    This post is about who actually pays for a gym membership??  

I pay 40.00, and I for one, will be completely honest with you all.   I go to the gym on fridays.   That's it.   I work out 3x a week in the mornings, and that consists of crunch yoga monday and wednsdays...   and friday I go to the gym.   It seems silly almost for me to be paying 40.00 a month...    for 4 days at the gym.   Go more often you say?   Nope...   I burnt myself out a few months back, and where I would enjoy the gym before, I despised going all of a sudden.  It was becomming more of a chore for me, and my head certainly wasn't in it while I was there.

So be honest....  how many of us pay for, and utilize our gym memberships...    and how many of us are doing it on our own?

* As a side note, I have a feeling Norm will be jumping all over this thread in protest :)

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/08 4:55 am - Eastern, PA
I pay $5 a month for a work gym, and I go 7-8 times a week.

I have to stay consistent, or else I get lazy and begin to put weight back on. I'm not, nor will ever will be a "small eater." I eat pretty well, but far from perfect.

I advocate maintaining some type of fitness regimen. I can't count the number of people who I've seen lose weight "OMG without exercising," then fall into despair as they struggle to maintain low low low calorie intake, yet still see their weight creeping back on, BECAUSE THEY REFUSE TO EXERCISE.

If you're not exercising (unless you are physically unable to do so), then you can't complain about not losing quickly enough or not maintaining your weight. You're simply not commited to the process.

That's the same boring line I've been preaching for a few years now, and some people still don't want to hear it. And that's maybe why some people think I'm a raging douche.

That said... it's about the physical activity. If someone can stay active and be happy and healthy without doing it in the gym, then go for it.

I am not a doctor, didn't play on on tv, didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, and certainly didn't have Subway today. So take my ramblings for what they're worth.

Melanie B.
on 10/6/08 4:57 am, edited 10/6/08 4:58 am - Doylestown, PA
I think $10 a visit if you average it out isn't that bad if you atleast go 4X per/month. As for me I won't spend the money because I know I will never have the time to go. I may however sign up for classes (yoga, dance, etc) and I am certain that they cost more than $10 per class.

What do you do at the gym? Weights? Cardio? If you can replicate what you do at home for $480 or less, than I say quit the gym and buy weights or whatever it is that you do for your home.

good luck.

And I'm sure you can put norm in his place

tracyb330
on 10/6/08 5:00 am - Temple, PA
Now that I have lost 60 pounds I love the gym. I can stay on the elliptical (sp?) for 40 mins. I love that. I actually go to 2 gyms at the moment. I will cancel my other membership soon but just forgot. I like to join gyms that don't have a year contract. I get bored at the same place all the time. I love my new one. They have water aerobics. That's my thing right now. I am only 10 weeks out but I used to be a work out queen back in my mid twenties...I'm hoping to be like that again.

Tracy
5'9 and a size 6...I love my tool.
keri2008
on 10/6/08 5:02 am - PA
I would have to say that I love what the gym has to offer, multiple weight sets, pool, etc.  BUT I don't use it enough!  I am thinking about joining the one at work after reading Norm's post, maybe that would work.  Otherwise, I do it all at home.  Maybe I should just invest in a good weight machine????
EileenWalton
on 10/6/08 5:14 am
Okay, well now you're going to make me confess.  I haven't been to the gym since July 7.  Yes, I had a good excuse at the time.  I had fallen and hurt both knees and broke my thumb.  I really couldn't lift weights or do any circuit training without the use of my thumb, so I just didn't go.  I did, however, up my walking and continued to do that all summer long and into early September.  However, suddenly it has all come to a grinding halt.  And the scale is showing the bold truth.  I haven't lost any weight since Labor Day.  I also am throwing $40.00 per month out the window, but truly plan to go back soon.  I actually got up early this morning to lift some weights, which were still a little difficult with my thumb, but definitely doable.  When I was going to the gym, I went three days per week.  I will tell you that I dreaded every trip there.  I am not a gymoholic, that's for sure.  But I do try to get in as much activity as I possibly can on a daily basis, whether it be walking the steps, taking a nice walk, and now that I can, continue to do some weight training at home.  I also plan to get back to the gym as time permits.  Will I renew my gym membership when it's up in February....probably not at that gym.  But I will search out one with longer hours so it will work with my early/late schedule.  I do know the importance of exercise and how it will impact on my successing.  I never want to go back to where I came from!
Eileen

cleos_mom
on 10/6/08 5:41 am - phila., PA
I did pay for the gym but now @ my home I have an elipictal,treadmill,ab blaster total gym weights big ball & tapes & I workout @ home 3 to 5 times a week and I love it but I had to go to the gym to realiz how much easier it is to do it at home & even if you don't have a lot of equipment you can do DVD's I collect them also  & do a different workout everytime .I collected my equipment over the years the treadmill used to be a holder for clothes until I moved all the clothes and found a treadmill under it.
"
Norm you should have been at the OH event in Conschocken because they had a "fitness expert "there named Jeremy and basically what we all got from him was that excercise doesn't matter th results are the same with or w/o excercising and basically  he said Cardio was  waste of time  for weight loss. at first I thought I mis-understood him but then I asked several at our table if  we heard right he said you won't loose weight doing cardio . he said the survey showed that 50 people who did cardio and 50 people who did nothing lost basically the same amount of weight, well I don't know who they did the survey with but that is hard to believe . jus****ch the biggest looser they all work out .but I am sure glad that i won't listen to him because i know I am burning calories evn doing cardio I wish you were there to speak up and tell him what you know they must have gotten him to speak for FREE.
I enjoy doing it @ home but you have to be disclipined t workout at home but you can do it whenever you want to. I know how good I feel after doing 30 minutes of cardio I feel alive & refreshed.
Susan
dreamgirl119
on 10/6/08 3:29 pm - Lansdowne, PA
I agree with you Cleo, I was there at the event.  I don't know where in the hell he got his information, but I know what my body is telling me whether I'm using free weights, cardio, or just plain getting my groove on with a walk. I feel everything I do and know my body is burning up the calories.  I think he needs to do some more research or something.
Nicole0216
on 10/6/08 5:55 am - Lancaster, PA
i hate the gym hate it., I am lucky if i go once a week
i know it need to be excercising but i hate it
i pay 19 a month and dont go how pathetic
jburgh
on 10/6/08 6:06 am
49.99/month, has become my lunchtime regime.  I find, like norm, if I don't I get lazy.  I will admit somedays I just don't want to go, and only do about 10-15mins on the arc machine, but I figure that's better than nothing. 

I love to eat and have changed my diet to the foods im allowed to eat, but exercising keeps my weight were I like it, and I have also found if i don't go to the gym, I resort back to my old lunchtime habit of wanting to eat everything and daydreaming about what I was going to have for lunch. 

I also find that if I don't hit the gym, I want to run to the mall and shop and that can get expensive quickly. 

Do I like going, not all the time, do I need to go at 4 years post, yes.  I am holding at 225lbs.  I am a big guy and will never be under 200lbs unless I go bulimic.  at 6'3 225 is a perfect fit for me.  I wear the 34 jeans I want and the medium/large shirts I want.  I still can't get over the fact that I dont have an "X" in front of my shirt size...that too me is worth the 30mins at the gym. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views