Medic Alert Bracelets

Dolores O.
on 10/5/08 10:53 am
HI everyone,

I've been putting it off because I love the simply girlie ones, but I've seen all over the net at other boards, people having issues with breakage and so forth.
After our OH event on Saturday, I am more determined now to get one.

So I decided on getting the Titanium Lynx from American Medical ID.
The price is steep, but I have piece of mind knowing it won't rust, break, etc.

There are varying opinions about what to put on the bracelet and I want a few suggestions.

I have A LOT to put on mine and could you offer suggestions as to what to put where. With the Lynx bracelet you can put 4 lines on the front and 4 on the back:

Name
Gastric Bypass 3/8/08
No NSAIDS/No Sugars
No Blind NG Tube
Surgeons Name
Surgeons Number
Greenfield Filter
DVT/PE
Warfarin
Allergy to Percocet

Those are the things they would need to know...what would be the most important to put on the bracelet (I'm sure the Coumadin/Warfarn since it's a blood thinner and they wouldn't want me to bleed to death). The allergies I could put on the wallet card since I'm only allergic to one drug.

Any suggestions?

Dolores~

Pam Hart
on 10/5/08 11:37 am - Easton, PA
How about:

Front:
Name
Allergic NSAIDS/Percocet
On Warafin

Back
Gastric Bypass 3/08
Surgeons Name
Surgeons Phone Number

I'm not sure you would need to put down the concentrated sweets thing....cause reality is if you need sugar replacement due to loss of fluids or a hypoglycemic issue they would give it to you.  The no blind NGT I personally have issues with.  My theory is this.  A blind NG tube poses risks to us because it can perforate the pouch causing infection/bleeding etc.  If you have a serious bowel obstruction and DON'T get an NG tube in time, you can rupture your bowel causing serious infection/sepsis/bleeding.  Either way, you are rupturing something and causing potential sepsis.  However, if you are adiment against it - No blind NGT could go as the 4th line on the back w/ the rest of the gastric bypass information.

The greenfield filter/DVT would probably not be as important as well....the whole point of the filter is to prevent clots from going where they shouldn't (although they have been known to pass through anyway...) and the coumadin alert will let them know you have some sort of issue before, either a heart irregularity,or a clotting disorder.  If god forbid you are in a situation where it deals with respiratory issues or something....they will probably do a CT scan of the chest to make sure it isn't a blood clot anyway.....

Good luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Patricia R.
on 10/5/08 1:26 pm - Perry, MI
If you go to the actual MedicAlert website, and register with them, and buy from them, you get your medical information put into their database and an ID number on your bracelet with them.  Then, if/when a need arises, the emergency medical personnel contact MedicAlert and they access your medical information from the database.  Plus, you can put emergency contact info and doctor info in the database as well.  There is an annual membership with it, but it gives me peace of mind.  They have all types of bracelets, as well as pretty ones.  They also have necklaces.

Good luck with your shopping.

Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views