Kind of OT question for you. I need input

Nicole0216
on 9/29/08 1:20 am - Lancaster, PA
I would not post this on the main board because I would not want to upset people or make them think I am marketing. I am not I just want a genuine response so I can make some decisions. You all are my friends and I know you will do this.

I have been working with post ops a bit and I am hoping to do more work with them. I have an opportunity to utilize a service to provide telephonic counseling services. This may be a good venue in which to help post ops who dont live near me but who want to talk to a therapist that has had it. 

So here is the question..
Would you ( in theory) be interested in telephonic counseling if the therapist was post op and had experience working with post ops? Would it be worth it to you?
Research shows that people who do telephonic counseling stay in therapy 20% longer and dont drop out as soon.

Tell me what ya think and be honest. Many therapists are doing this now. particuarly those who have areas of specialty.
Arlene E.
on 9/29/08 1:34 am - Philadelphia, PA

Nicole

I see a therapist every three weeks and have continued to do so for three years.  This is the longest stretch of time for me with a therapist.  My opinion of phone therapy is that if you have a good connection with the therapist and the therapist can relate to your situation, such as WLS, then I think  phone counseling could work.  But what about body language?  Don't therapists tune in to that when meeting in person?  Also, does medical insurance cover phone counseling?  Also, what about computer conferencing?  Then you can look at the person while you speak.   

Arlene 

Nicole0216
on 9/29/08 2:05 am - Lancaster, PA
I agree. I should have been more specifi. It would be utilizing something like skype or some kind of video conferencing tool so that both persons can see one another. No medical insurance does not cover telephonic. There are people who are willing to do it and then file a claim. I do have a tax id that they can use in filing claims. But mostly it would be for people willing to pay out of pocket. Not everyone can do this I know. but there are many who are willing.
Pam Hart
on 9/29/08 1:39 am - Easton, PA
I was right off the bat going to answer absolutely.

But after reading Arlene's response I thought about it a little bit more.

I still think it is a great idea, and yes, I would be open to it if in that position.

However - I think there should be a first couple of sessions face to face or whatever, for you to get to know the client and for the client to get to know you.  Perhaps after a relationship has been established, it would be more suited to move to telephone and or internet meetings.

Good luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
ktreavis
on 9/29/08 2:47 am - PA
I agree with Pam, I think it would be wise to have a couple of face to face meetings and then use the telephonic counseling as an option. I know with the busyness of everyone's lives these days that there is more of a want for people to do things from home.
I am not at the point where I think I need counseling, but I think I may at some point and I know that I would look for someone who not only had expertise in my situation but was also felxible. Hope that made some sense. - Katie

Progress not perfection

keri2008
on 9/29/08 3:01 am - PA
I agree with Arlene and Pam.  However, that being said I think any modality that can be offered to potential clients is heads above over no service at all.  I think that body language and all of that (body language interaction) is important but is trumped by the many special needs that some clients (especially WLSs) may have.  In addition, I know many of the client base would perhaps prefer over the phone due to severe confidence issues.  I also think that an excellent therapist (which I have no doubt is the category you fall into) can monitor whether or not meeting is needed at any point during the relationship to solidify ties.  I don't think it would work for everyone but definitely feel that the clients that it would work well for need it and if you are able to meet that need what a wonderful impact you could have on their overall quality of life.

Regards,
keri
ladychief231
on 9/29/08 4:53 am - Douglassville, PA
Nicole,

I would say yes, it's a good idea and I would utilize only after I had a connection with a therapist. I think it is an efficient way of treatment especially since we all have such hectic lives. I think you received some good feedback. For myself personal connection with the healthcare provider is key and I'm not sure I could determine the connection initially without a face to face meeting.

Good luck to you.
Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

lauraanne715
on 9/29/08 6:39 am, edited 9/29/08 6:40 am - Pottstown, PA
Nicole-
I think that sounds like an excellent way to recieve and give therapy.  It would definitely interest me.  People's lives are so hectic today that telephonic or video conference therapy would be an excellent resource and tool. I would definitely give something like that a try.

Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

Patricia R.
on 9/29/08 7:29 am - Perry, MI
Hi Nicole,
This is an excellent question to ask.  I am going to throw a monkey wrench into the feedback you have received because of my own personal experience in therapy.  I have been seeing a therapist for a very long time, and even travel a long distance to see him.  He originally had an office just down the street from where I live, but he relocated his practice when he moved, and I now travel to his office because I was not ready to change therapists when he moved.  I now am determined to finish therapy with him.

I am a recovering alcoholic, and have met a lot of people in AA that prefer a therapist or counselor who is also in recovery.  My therapist is not in recovery, but I have had no problem with his lack of personal experience interfering with his ability to provide excellent therapy.  Since I have had my WLS, I have had occassion to discuss my different issues that have come up, and he has again provided me with excellent care.  I originally started therapy with him for my binge eating disorder, and he has always guided me with excellent care in that arena as well, yet he has neither had WLS, nor been eating disordered. 

In my therapy, the body language and personal rapport that has taken place, especially the transference, has been a key component of my therapeutic alliance with him. 

I am not against the idea of telephonic therapy, if that is the only option for the client seeking therapy.  I just know that I have no problem with a therapist not having the particular life experience I have had in order to be effective in therapy.  A good clinician is a good clinician regardless of life experience.  I also believe that the therapeutic alliance is a very important component for therapy to be truly effective.  I wonder if that can be achieved without being in the same room with each other. 

Just my two cents.  I hope this does not upset you.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Nicole0216
on 9/29/08 8:00 am - Lancaster, PA
Nope not upset just doing research
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views