'Morbid' Wow Moments

dit657
on 9/28/08 11:41 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Yesterday my husband and I attended the viewing of one of our best friends' fathers - we had only met his parents once or twice so we really went out of respect for our friends (but I guess its always that way, right). Anyway, the man was 93, lived a long and healthy life and died peacefully in his sleep last week. His wife is in the end stages of Alzheimer's so she was really out of it and they kept her away from the casket facing the other direction.

So all that being said, I saw a lot of people that I haven't seen in about 2+ years and they were truly amazed at how much I have changed. See, I don't see it as much as some - but we've all been thru this, right.

Anyway, our friends' daughter had flown in from Albany and saw my husband come into the funeral home but didn't see 'me' and asked her sister where I was - her sister responded 'right behind Len' and she said that is NOT Kathy! She didn't recognize me! Several other people came up to me and were shocked and amazed at the transformation - I guess because I'm still in the mid 200's that I still consider myself extremely obese but I guess compared to the high 300's it is a huge change.

It was a sad, yet joyful day - sad for my friends losing a parent, but joyful for me embracing so many wonderful heartfelt WOW moments.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Laureen S.
on 9/29/08 12:14 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Kathy, I'm sure seeing you look so good, brought some measure of happiness in their sorrow.

I had a similar set of WOWs yesterday at a bridal shower I attended for my best b/ff's future daughter-in-law. . .  several of my b/ff's family members looked at me and didn't know me, could see they knew me, but did not know it was me (lol), it was funny when the light went on and they finally got it.  I heard over and over again how wonderful I look, years younger, etc., my b/ff's ex-sister-in-law, who she is good friends with, said how before I had the surgery, she was not for it, thinking I was not really a candidate for it, but seeing how wonderful I look, she thinks I made the right choice and seeing me walk without the pain I was in the last time she saw me, was awesome. . .  so I know exactly how wonderful you feel today!

Hugs, L

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Pam Hart
on 9/29/08 12:15 am - Easton, PA
Kathy,

I'm sorry to hear about your friends father.

You understand that you don't see it - and probably won't.  I have people at work (who work on the floors and I don't see them very often) that they don't recognize me until I start to speak.

It seems that many of these moments will happen at the oddest times for us - such as life changing events like funerals because sadly that's when we reconnect with people whom we haven't seen in such a long time.

Although a sad day, I'm glad people recognized you for your efforts and for your changing health (and appearance!!)

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
keri2008
on 9/29/08 4:13 am - PA
Congrats on your wow moments even if they were during a time one doesn't normally associate with joy.  Much like life is actually don't you think?  Sometimes the good and the bad come at the same time.  Bad for them but good for you.  Enjoy it and revel in it, I don't think the gentleman would have minded, in fact, he probably was happy for you too!

Keri
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views