Anyone ever been to an Overeaters Anon Meeting?

Ataraxia
on 9/28/08 7:08 am - Morrisville, PA
I went to one meeting and was not impressed at all.
My experience may be different from others but I didn't enjoy the meeting at all.
My problem is more with mindless eating not emotional eating.
I don't go on out of control binges because I'm sad or angry or whatever.
I didn't care for the whole AA type theme. Thats just me though.
~*~Corrinne~*

Patricia R.
on 9/28/08 9:26 am - Perry, MI
Hi there,
I spent years attending Overeaters Anonymous meetings.  They are a 12 Step program that offers support and recovery from compulsive overeating.  I found it very helpful in teaching me coping strategies and a spiritual basis for dealing with my eating behaviors.  I would be attending them now, but I believe I need to focus my recovery on my AA program at this time. 
The only reason meetings are usually held in churches is because that is where they find rooms to rent for an hour or so each week.  Some are also held in libraries, or community rooms, wherever they can find space available for their meeting.  Some are also held in hospitals, in dining rooms or classrooms as such. 

The God part of the program is suggested, and how you define God is your personal preference. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.  I was very active in OA for years and have a few of their books. 

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

natalie1975
on 9/28/08 11:37 am - Yardley, PA
i checked out 5 or 6 meetings a few (maybe 4) years back, when i lived in TX. at the time i was pre-op, not heavy enough yet to qualify for any type of WLS but suffering from a couple of eating disorders and very overweight by my standards.

it's a 12 step program where a so-called 'higher power" is periodically mentioned but, while many meetings were held in churches, i did not feel any type of actual religion was ever pushed on me (for the record, i'm a secuar jew, so any preaching-like christian overtones would have me running in the opposite direction.)

i thought i was a wonderfull organization and wouldn't mind going back myself fot additional support (right now my BMI is in a healthy range but all my food demons are far from gone:).

cheers,
nat

Dolores O.
on 9/28/08 12:23 pm
I've been thinking about it a little.

ALL TRUE 12 step programs are faith based and were built on that premise.  So you would find that most of them are held in churches.

I dont think I will go to a meeting, but it would be great for additional support sometimes.

Dolores~

Laureen S.
on 9/28/08 11:07 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Jenn,

Many years ago I went to OA and they are a 12 Step Fellowship that follow the principles of AA, of which I have been a member for 21+ years now, and while the word God and Higher Power is a part of that, the principles are spiritual not religious and the backbone of those are honesty, openmindedness and willingness, therefore, if you can go in with an open mind and realize that it is your right to chose what your foundation in that area is and just know that it works for many people, some of which have no religious affiliations whatsoever. 

They generally meet in churches due to the fact that most churches charge nominal fees to use their facilities for an hour or so and OA is nonprofit and fully self supporting through passing a basket at the meetings at which most members, that can afford to do so, usually contribute a dollar or two which goes towards paying the rent, supplying pamphlets and any other services of OA.

The OA ideal is that within the framework accountability, having a food sponsor who you need to check in with daily with your food plan for the day is a part of that, any deviations must be passed by that sponsor and abstinence from sugar is required and learning to utilize the 12 Steps as tools towards healing our addiction to food.  As with all things, it depends on what type of support you are seeking and again what type of openmind you have. 

I would suggest your trying at least 2 different groups to see what it's like before making up your mind.

Hugs, L

PS, I still don't belong to any religious denomination ;)

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Patty T.
on 9/29/08 3:45 pm - Boalsburg, PA
Delurking.

I attended a few OA meetings when I lived in State College. I also went regularly for a while after I moved to Oregon. Maybe it was because SC is a college town, but they were much more accepting of alternate spiritual beliefs that I've found here in Oregon. Way too much Jesus for me here in the Salem area, but I suspect Eugene or Portland meetings would be more like State College.

So shop around.

Back to lurking....

Pam Hart
on 9/29/08 6:48 pm - Easton, PA
Why back to lurking?

C'mon in and join us!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
LisaAC
on 9/29/08 11:50 pm - Philadelphia, PA
I attended two OA meetings through the years - first when I was really young and not familiar with 12 step programs.  I didn't get it; they were sitting around whining about their lives and no one seemed to have a plan.  Next one, I was about 30 and I was the only overweight person there...the rest were all anorexics, complaining about how they couldn't eat...and all I could think, while I sat there fuming, was: "If only!!!"

My personal view, one that many people disagree with, is that 12 step programs are a crutch that can be a good thing temporarily, but block real healing in the long run.  I attended AlAnon and ACoA meetings for a few years.  People say they have to attend these meetings the rest of their lives.  If, after five years, I am still attending the same meetings and doing the same things, then I have to say that they have not worked. 

And yes, they are faith-based.  How heavily and how focused on a particular faith depends on the individual group and its makeup.
"The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views