Anyone ever been to an Overeaters Anon Meeting?

J. M.
on 9/28/08 4:19 am

I'm considering checking one out...just for more support.

Anyone have any input???

~ Jen   

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/08 4:22 am

I don't know about OA, but I have been thinking about going to weigh****chers.  I think the weekly weigh in and support might be good, as well as helping me get re-focused on planning my meals.  I may check out OA though and see that that is all about.

HG

Melanie B.
on 9/28/08 4:25 am - Doylestown, PA
I did OH for about 2 years back in the 90's. The group I went to (in NY) was VERY strict and structured. It was actually called 'HOW" (as in "how it works" from AA)

Anyway, I had a sponsor and had to call EVERY morning at an exact time and tell her what food I was going ot eat for the day. I could not vary from that list or have ANY sugar and if I did it was considered a slip.

We followed the 12 steps of AA and read the big book.

All in all it was good and I lost 70lbs - but then I got pregnant wiht my son and stopped going...and you know how it goes from there.

Best of luck.

J. M.
on 9/28/08 4:32 am
Im noticing all the meeting are held at churches.

Do you know if there is a religious push behind them?

~ Jen   

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/08 4:38 am
Jen,

I just checked out the OA website and read some of their stuff.  It is very "God" focused.  That may be great for some and I am not knocking it, but honestly, it made me a bit uncomfortable.  http://www.oa.org/twelve_steps.html  I think I will stick to WW.

HG
J. M.
on 9/28/08 4:43 am
thanks heather. i was thinking it might be like that.

well, i might give it a shot anyway....just to try something new.

~ Jen   

J. M.
on 9/28/08 4:44 am
okay...just checked out that link. i think i'll try something else.

~ Jen   

Melanie B.
on 9/28/08 5:06 am - Doylestown, PA
They are pretty much AA, only you are powerless over food vs. booze. So you're most lilely to find them in church basements (and hospitals) They will not be "run" by anyone - they just sort of 'happen".

They are structured on a spiritual basis and not religious. But yes there is a lot of "god' talk.

jdruski
on 9/28/08 5:24 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Jen,

I attended one many years ago.  It was a disaster.  I would think that with so much focus on addictions to food being brought up in the most recent years the OA meetings may have changed.  I have thought about OA and WW but realized that because of my special cir****tances and also being GBS those programs might not be a help. 

If you do venture out please let us know how you make out.

Jeanne
Nicole0216
on 9/28/08 6:46 am - Lancaster, PA
I did not enjoy OA. It was too negative, and did not empower me to change because I had the power to. It promoted helplessness and that I am doomed to fail without a higher power. I know this works for some, but it did not for me.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views