Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Cups

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 9/28/08 2:15 am

Daily Dish The Best Way to Start Your Day It's often said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. That's because skipping your morning meal can lead to a dip in blood sugar that may cause cravings for unhealthy, refined foods. This creates a cycle that can lead to overeating and thus impede your weight-loss efforts. Instead, start your day with this nutritious, irresistible meal. Not only will it keep you satisfied and stabilize your blood sugar, but research shows that a morning meal can increase energy as well as improve work and school performance. Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Cups (Phase 1) These egg "muffins" make a hearty breakfast that can be eaten on the run. Make them ahead and warm them in the microwave for a fast and slimming breakfast treat.

Makes 6 cups

Ingredients

4 ounces turkey sausage or crumbled turkey bacon

1/2 green bell pepper, chopped

1/4 onion, chopped

5 large eggs (Use Egg Beaters to reduce cholesterol, calories, and fat)

1 can (12 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained

1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded, reduced-fat cheddar cheese

Instructions: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 6-cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray, or line with paper baking cups. In a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage, pepper, and onion for 5 minutes or until the sausage is no longer pink. Spoon the mixture into a bowl and let cool slightly. Stir in the eggs and mushrooms. Evenly divide the mixture among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until the egg is set.

Recipe reprinted with permission from The South Beach Diet Cookbook.Click here to pick up your copy of the book today.

Nutritional information

140 calories

9 g total fat (3 g sat)

195 mg cholesterol

4 g carbohydrate

12 g protein

1 g fiber

400 mg sodium

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Pam Hart
on 9/28/08 2:24 am - Easton, PA
I made a similar version when you posted this recipie awhile back - and they are very yummy!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Melanie B.
on 9/28/08 4:17 am - Doylestown, PA
EggFace has tons of recipes for these little "cups" on her blog. I swaer I want to lick to computer somedays...

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 9/28/08 5:57 am
TEEHEE

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/08 6:21 am
oh my....yummy
Nicole0216
on 9/28/08 6:48 am - Lancaster, PA
thanks for posting. I have made these they are good.
Patricia R.
on 9/28/08 10:47 am - Perry, MI
I can't wait to go out and get some muffin tins.  They sound scrumptuous.  Can they be frozen and reheated, do you think?

Hugs,'
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Pam Hart
on 9/28/08 2:06 pm - Easton, PA
Some in my freezer as we speak.  I've reheated them before - my only advice would be to possibly just barely undercook them as when I reheated mine they seemed to be a little tough.  I'm not sure if I over heated it the second time or it was just the re heating process itself.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
deebatt
on 9/28/08 10:52 am - Imperial (Pittsburgh), PA
Trish,

I have made those before and i had no problems with freezing them and just popping into the microwave.  I usually baked them in small pyrex ramekin bowls and they worked out just fine.

~Denise
~ Denise 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views