Protein shakes making me sick

rdy2looz
on 9/27/08 6:44 am - Bensalem, PA
I started my protein shakes this past week and they are making me very nauseous!  Any idea why?  I am fine with everything else that i am taking in.

Thanks
Suzette
ktreavis
on 9/27/08 7:05 am - PA
It may depend on what you are mixing them with. I had to use Lactaid for a couple of weeks after my surgery. It was fine after that. It may also be the kind of protein you are using. Any Whey protein made me sick right after my surgery also. I havem't tried it again, but I plan on it. Hope this helps.

Katie

Progress not perfection

Shan08
on 9/27/08 7:22 am - the Skook, PA

I had some trouble in the beginning too.  My surgical nurse and all said it may be the high sugar content... So I don't know what you're using, but you may want to check that too.  They recommended I use Carnation Instant Breakfast (low carb) for a while, and it worked out better.  It's lower in protein, but you can work up to bigger amounts.  Good luck.

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
dit657
on 9/27/08 9:10 am - Boothwyn, PA

I know a lot of people post that they can't tolerate milk products post-surgery - at least for a while. Maybe try soy milk or milk substitutes - that might help. Its my only bit of advice since I never had problems with it.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
cleos_mom
on 9/27/08 10:14 am - phila., PA
HI
  If you are looking for a GREAT tasting protein without that stinky smell and is low in sugar only 118 calories & you mix it with water . it is only available at theGNC  on Cottman & Castor Ave near the toys R us  it is called MAX PROTEIN it is in a big blue container, the chocolate tastes like yoo hoo it is awesome and smells like real chocolate it  is pricey but why buy cheap if it doesn't taste goos and now it is on sale you can get 2lb for 40.00 or 5lb for 60.00 and they are buy 1 get 1, 50 offf or buy 2 get 1 free and you can mix the flavors. I originally bought the 2 lb and just went back and bought 3, 5lb for the price of 2 and sometimes they have it made up so you can taste it and if you only use it 1 or 2 times & don't like it GNC will take it back
Susan
kimmiep621
on 9/27/08 11:46 am
the max protein can also be found at gnc in princeton,  it cost me $20 with the sale price and my gold card,  yummy

327/307/192 (-135 lbs)
consult/day of surgery/current 

rdy2looz
on 9/27/08 9:42 pm - Bensalem, PA
Well I know it's not from the sugar content, that is only 3 grams.  I am going to try sipping it cold, see if that helps.  If that doesn't then I will switch to the carnation instant breakfast, I didn't have a problem with that when sipped it for breakfast a couple of days ago.  The texture and smell don't bother me, it's only after I have finished the drink, about 10 minutes later or so is when I start getting nauseous.  Anyway, thanks for everything!  I will keep trying.

Suzette
Pam Hart
on 9/27/08 11:31 pm - Easton, PA
It could also be "to much of a good thing" for your pouch right now.  Try mixing up half a protein shake and sipping that amount and seeing if you feel a little better.  Your pouch might not be able to handle that much protein at once, especially combined with the milk if you are using milk to make them.

Good luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
ShaunainHarleysville
on 9/28/08 12:41 am - Harleysville, PA

My thought is exactly as Pam verbalized.  I had alot of problems after surgery with nausea everytime I had any intake of any kind.  I turned out to be allergic to the whey protein in the shakes, except for one.  I can only take NitroTech made by MuscleTech.  It;s sold at GNC.  Be sure that you are taking the shake slowly and consider room temp fluids-that worked better for me as well.  Good luck and NEVER GIEV UP.  Protein is the MOST impoortant thing for you as a new post-op.

Shauna

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 9/28/08 2:20 am
I had terrible stomach cramping trying to mix shakes with milk, even with lactaid.  I switched to water with the powder and added a little fat free ricotta in the blender for thickness (sometimes a little piece of banana).  It worked for me. 

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views