Soo SLOW

Shan08
on 9/26/08 3:27 am - the Skook, PA

Has anyone else experienced veryy slow-paced weight loss after surgery... yet ultimately losing a large amount after a period of time?

I get SO discouraged.  This damn weight just seems so STUCK on me!!    It's like one of my worst fears happening.... doing what the docs and all tell me, yet failing.

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
Pam Hart
on 9/26/08 3:40 am - Easton, PA
Shannon,

You are just over a month out - give yourself a bit of a break regardless of how hard that is to do.  You won't fail at this.  Not if you work and do what you are told to do.

You didn't become morbidly obese in a matter of a 4 weeks.  You won't become a normal weight in the matter of a 4 weeks either. 

All of that "normal" talk aside - I know where you are coming from.

I thought I was losing pretty slowly too - after the first month or so I slowly started losing "slowly".  But I kept at it.

Less than a year later I am down 107 pounds.

Remember - gold standards of WLS success is 50-75% of excess body weight lost in the first year.  For me that would have been 50-80 pounds.  Granted my surgeon expected "more" than that because I was a "light weight" and thought by the end of the first year I should be at goal.  And I was.

I was never one of those people to lose 6 pounds a week - except for maybe the first couple of weeks with water weight and what not.  And starting at about month 3 or 4 I started gaining weight each time around my monthly friend (granted it would go away with the end of her...but it was still frustrating.)

You'll do fine....even though you don't think so at this point.  Do not get discouraged because that's what led us into the viscious diet/eat cycle to begin with.

Pam

PS:  I just calculated my stats....and that's an average of 2.4 pounds lost per week.  Keep in mind I stalled multiple times so there were 3-4 week periods I didn't lose an ounce, and even some that I gained.   2 pounds a week doesn't seem like much - but when you add it all up - it's a whole lot!!
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 9/26/08 3:53 am - Eastern, PA
You're not failing. Your surgery doesn't have an expiration date! The only people I have ever seen "fail" at this are people *****fuse to follow their eating rules and for some reason or another won't make exercise a part of their lifestyle.

The best advice I can give you, and bear in mind that I'm not an expert ;), follow your doctors advice to the letter, and if you haven't yet, make it a priority to get regular exercise 5 times a week. It sounds like a lot, but it will absolutely pay you massive dividends.

That said, stalls happen. They're frustrating. But keep in mind that weight is not the only number you're measring here. Your weight can stay the same while your body changes. Shapes change. Sizes change.

It's not a race. It's a marathon.

Do what you're supposed to do, and it will work for you in the long term.

tanya72100
on 9/26/08 4:42 am - Schuylkill Haven, PA
I feel the same way Kinda.. Was falling off in the beginning. Now  it is has REALLY slowed down. Im hoping my dr gives the ok for more exercise!

IT will get better.

Melanie B.
on 9/26/08 4:56 am - Doylestown, PA
For me I wanted to wake up and be skinny...but I knew that was only a dream. I've lost 34lbs in 30 days and while part of me wishes I lost 50lbs, i'm pretty happy with the 34.

i also know that I'm still not exercising, and once I start it should help matters. Hubby and I are meeting after work tonight to pick up my new elliptical from Sports Authority!! woo hoo.

It will happen for you Shannon. I hit a 10 days stall at 2 weeks out - so it happens to all of us.

hang in there.

Nicole0216
on 9/26/08 8:22 am - Lancaster, PA
You are fine. It slows down then speeds up. It is all about the number at the end not how fast. I am kind of glad it slows down at some point because it is so dramatic it gives you a chance to wrap your head around the changes.
You will be alright
Shan08
on 9/26/08 9:14 am - the Skook, PA

Ughh I know.  I guess it's that darn instant gratification thing that got me here in the 1st place, lol.

And Tanya, trust me, you're doing really well.  You had surgery after me, and you have lost more so far. 

And I definitely do have to start exercising.

Thanks for listening.

((hugs))
kredfern
on 9/26/08 9:37 am
I am 17 days post op.  The first 6 days I lost 12 pounds, and then NOTHING for the past 10 days.  I know I am still VERY early out, but I hear you on the frustration!!  I have to change the way I am thinking.  I really think I need to put away the scale and only weigh myself once a week or every two.  I just have this fear that, like all other attempts, this will somehow not work for me.
bustme42
on 10/1/08 11:23 pm - plumville, PA
I am also frustrated I had my gastric bypass on july 1. I was doing really good i lost 60lbs, but this week i gained 4lbs and i dont understand what went wrong. I have been eating the same way.  The same amount, same foods.  I am scared of failure.
Laureen S.
on 9/27/08 1:39 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Shan,

Your post could have been written by me and I believe I did post something similar in the first month or two.  Our bodies are being robbed of their fat stores, so I think they want to hold on tight and there will be periods where the weight loss will stall, I've had stalls that lasted 8 weeks, but if you do your part, I can promise you that you will lose the weight.  Protein, vitamins, minimum 64 oz of fluids and EXERCISE are the keys to getting the best results.  I will tell you again, if you want the best results, you MUST exercise.  There will come a day when, as Laura posted yesterday, if you don't exercise or do only a half of what you're used to, you'll feel like something is missing or you'll feel guilty.  I still do not love to exercise, but I feel bad when I don't do it, so it's a good thing!

Hugs, L

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views