Give me a break!

Mary Benford
on 9/26/08 12:30 am - Emmaus, PA
Hey everyone!

The past 2 1/2 weeks have been pretty rough for me.  I came down with an awful case of the flu on about the 11th.   It started off with 3 days of vomiting, followed by a week of sore throat / fever / vomiting / chills / every other flu symptom you could imagine.   It just wasn't good, and i couldn't kick it.  I finally felt better on Saturday..     and since Saturday I've encountered another problem...    This one a little more embarrassing!    I'm so constipated it isn't even funny.   Now I say this, knowing you fellow pa'ers totally understand where I'm coming from.  No one wants to talk about it, but I need suggestions..   cause honestly i'm so uncomfortable.  Monday night, it hurt pretty badly..   Norm gave me 2 laxative pills...    and nothing...   Tuesday night, it still was uncomfortable, so we tried eating ruffage (lettuce, ect.)  and nothing...   Wedns, I had enough, and we went out and got a bag of sugar free candy (the sugar alcohol in that is so high, it usually causes me to have dumping like symptoms)  and sugar free ice cream...  and miralax, and if you can believe it...  didn't dump, just had a very small bowel movement.   I've been taking the miralax since, which is 2 nights now, and i'm still feeling crampy, and uncomfortable..    My next step is shove sugar down my throat so I will for sure dump!  I'd really rather not have to take it to that extreme...     What do you all do when you're "stuck" like this???  I'm thinking it's happening because I was sick, and wasn't eating right...   but I've had enough!

Help!

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

tanya72100
on 9/26/08 12:41 am - Schuylkill Haven, PA
 I TOTALLY feel your pain!!! Ive been going thru it for a couple weeks now!! I hope you feel better.

keri2008
on 9/26/08 12:48 am - PA
I have had some problems with that and use the stool softener tablets.  In addition to adding bout 32 ounces of EXTRA water per day.  That being said, I think you should call your doc.  With all you've tried you really should have "released" more by now.  Best to go over what's been happening and know that you're okay than take a chance (since your symptoms are so severe).  Just my thoughts.  I hope it all resolves for you very soon.

Keri
CherylT
on 9/26/08 12:59 am, edited 9/26/08 1:57 am - Perkasie, PA

I'm having the same troubles! I end up taking too many laxatives, which works in the short term but weakens my bowels and compounds the problem in the long term.

:(

Pam Hart
on 9/26/08 12:59 am - Easton, PA
Step away from the sugar darling.  No need to dump to make you well....have a dump (sorry for being so graphic)  Normally I would suggest starting with peri colace tablets but you might be a bit far along for that and have already been taking the miralax

Dulcolax suppositories.  I swear - they work almost every single time.  For me, they work within 15 minutes.  Oh - if you buy a suppository - buy some medical gloves at the store too - cause otherwise it's just gross.  And for the nurse comment in me...get it up as far as you can.  Keep those cheeks closed for as long as you can.  I've had one or two episodes where it hasn't worked.  For that....

Dulcolax suppository
If no BM, that evening take 4 (yes, that's f-o-u-r) peri colace tablets
Dulcolax suppository in the morning (if you don't wake up going OMG where's the bathroom that is).
Stay close to the bathroom. 
And if you feel you need to pass gas after a bowel movement might I suggest doing so in the bathroom....I did not and it was not a good experience and cost me a pair of underwear.

I must admit - none of this is real comfortable and I do cramp quite a bit with it - especially on those "suppository, peri colace, suppository" cycles - but afterwards I feel great.

The best thing once you are really constipated (which it sounds like you are) is to "hit it from the bottom".  We do similar things at work for patients who are stuck....

Good luck!  Glad the flu issue is doing better and hope the rest of you will catch up soon!!

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
EileenWalton
on 9/26/08 2:54 am
I feel your pain Mary.  I am constipated all the time.  Since surgery, I have NEVER had a bowel movement without the aid of Peri Colace.  Follow Pam's suggestions and it will work.  Hope you are feeling better soon.
Eileen

Pam Hart
on 9/26/08 3:07 am - Easton, PA
Eileen,

I was using colace on a regular basis and peri colace very frequently to help move things along.  Like I said to Mary - I still use these aides when needed (along with the suppositories I might add)

I have since discovered,however, sunsweet ones dried plumbs and/or Dole (I think it's dole) flavored dried plumbs (lemon and orange)  I don't remember about the sunsweet ones, but the flavored ones have no added sugar (they are high in natural sugars).  I have about 4-5 of them a day now before bed and have been fairly regular ever since.  And they are sweet so I feel like I'm getting something "naughty"  Otherwise - BMs au natur-al are a thing of wonder to me.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
EileenWalton
on 9/26/08 3:13 am
That's a good tip.  The dried plums sound yummy.  I'll have to give them a try.  Thanks for the advice.
Eileen

CherylT
on 9/26/08 3:15 am, edited 9/26/08 3:15 am - Perkasie, PA
Pam--you are wonderful! Thank you!

:)

Pam Hart
on 9/26/08 3:21 am - Easton, PA
Trial and error my dear.....you know how long it took me to get that combination right???

Hope it helps!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views