Hemoglobin 10!

shoutjoy
on 9/25/08 9:29 am - Culpeper, VA
Ok!  Just found out I am anemic and my PCP didn't even consider it an issue.  Very little support out here.  I need to hear from someone who knows!

Paula
Patricia R.
on 9/25/08 10:30 am - Perry, MI
I learned I had B12 deficiency at my 3 month bloodwork, right after I had surgery.  I suggest you do as much research as possible, and pass the research onto your doctor's i

Good Luck,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Gail M.
on 9/25/08 11:11 am - Scranton, PA
Paula,
   A hemoglobin of 10 isn't terrible bad.  I think they don't think about blood transfusions until you are under 8.  You're doc will prob recommend iron.
Gail

Pam Hart
on 9/25/08 11:24 am - Easton, PA
Paula,

Don't freak out to much.  A hemoglobin of 10 isn't real bad.  Definately not criteria for transfusions or anything.  The fact that it could become lower because you are a bypass patient is the only real issue.  Until you find out from your surgeon/pcp try to increase red lean meat as much as possible.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
tammypa
on 9/25/08 10:11 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Paula,
My suggestion to you is that you get copies of your bloodwork each time it is done. Check it all over yourself - see what is going up and what is going down. If you have any concerns, then u have this info ready when you see the doctor. It is good that you found out about the hemoglobin now and can start taking iron to take care of it before you need a transfusion.
Tammy
Laureen S.
on 9/25/08 10:28 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Paula,

As has been said a hemoglobin of 10 is not serious, I had past issues with anemia and  was told10 is low normal, mine went down to 7 and I had to have a transfusion in 2000, but since I had my hysterectomy 3 years ago, no real problems, though there was a slight dip at my 3 months post-op visit, so Dr. P told me to eat more red meat, however, I don't tolerate red meat well and asked if I could have liver (chicken or calves), was told yes that is great if you like liver.  Also, I make sure to eat spinach, I make an egg white omlet with spinanch a regular part of my diet.  So research foods with a source of high iron and you should be able to bring your count up some.

So good luck and don't worry at this point, just be vigilant about getting good sources of iron into your diet.

Hugs, L

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

shoutjoy
on 9/25/08 10:51 pm - Culpeper, VA
Ok, Thanks so much.  I don't tolerate iron well.  I can take it in small doses like in spinach.  I like meat so I will try that.

Paula
FlourPower
on 9/25/08 11:03 pm - PA
As the above posters have stated 10 is not bad.  Did he bother to tell you about your Feratin levels?  Thats something that should also be checked if your anemic.  Feratin is like your savings account when your anemic. 

I've battled anemia off and on for 16 years.  I've had the Drs tell me to take the OTC iron supplements and they were tought to tollerate. 

My Dr. has me on Feratol right now.  I have to take two per day and it's helping.  My Heoglobin was at 7 and my Feratin level was very low (not sure of the exact #)...Slowely things are getting better and my Dr was very happy that my hemoglobin is now up to 10....LOL!!!! 

There are prescriptions that might be able to help you.  If your concerned I'd call the Dr. and talk about it.  Also do an internet search on iron rich foods and try some of them.  Oh, and one thing that I've been  trying to do is cooking in an iron skillet.  I know it sounds silly and maybe odd but it does help a bit.

Chrissy

[

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views