Supposed to have thick skin

Shan08
on 9/24/08 11:20 pm - the Skook, PA

Okay, I know what I look like... I'm painfully aware.

And I know that I work with 'troubled' at-risk youth so I should be ready, or thick-skinned, for rude comments.

But I thought I actually looked nice today... and as I walked through the lobby where the kids wait for homeroom, one said... "earthquake!" and held onto his chair.  

Sighhhhhhhhh.

Okay.  Guess i'm done whining.
Now I must come up with a hefty writing assignment *wink*

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
dit657
on 9/24/08 11:25 pm - Boothwyn, PA
That 'at-risk' youth had no idea how much risk he was in if he had said that in front of me - kids are cruel. But I guess in your position there's not much you can do except try to educate them about making remarks like that. Yes, a hefty writing assignment on the subject of not insulting others might be worthwhile!!

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Melanie B.
on 9/24/08 11:32 pm - Doylestown, PA
that truly sucks Shannon, kids can be very cruel, but it's no excuse. At the end of the day, take it where it's coming from.

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/08 12:06 am - Eastern, PA
I see nothing wrong with being as vindicitve and cruel with him as you can without drawing any negative professional attention to yourself.
Pam Hart
on 9/25/08 12:15 am - Easton, PA
Ignorance can't be fixed!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Shan08
on 9/25/08 12:21 am - the Skook, PA

LOL, thanks guys :)
Shortly after that incident, I got a good comment from the receptionist... said she can defintiely tell I've been losing.  So I'll try to focus on THAT one. 

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
Laureen S.
on 9/25/08 12:26 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Shannon,

It sounds like you've got the right attitude and kids will be what they are, especially if you are a teacher or authority figure, add in the 'troubled, at risk" youth and well, like I said your focus is in the right place.

Way to go!

Hugs, L

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

J. M.
on 9/26/08 10:55 pm
It's like being called a fat ass after losing 150 lbs! It hurts like hell.

People suck. Bottom line. Just always try not to be one of those people and you'll be rewarded in the end.

Im sorry that happend.

~ Jen   

joldaker
on 9/26/08 11:50 pm - West Bradford, PA
I would say, if they are in your classes, to assign something that will keep them busy all weekend and make it worth 25% of their final grade. Then when the fail at it you can say, see if you would have been doing your work instead of screwing off you wouldnt have just failed my class.

Do you see why I dont work with kids as a job.

Bless you for doing it.

Jen
Highest Wt 299.8 / Surg Wt 285 / Curr Wt 157
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views