How do I get my exercise groove on???

Gail M.
on 9/24/08 1:18 pm - Scranton, PA
OK...5 months out and I'm losing the weight  nicely. But the problem is that it's starting to slow down and I can't seem to get into exercising.  I know that if I kicked in the exercise groove I would speed up the weight loss process. I believe that I need to work it into a daily pattern but I just haven't done that yet.

How do all you guys find the time and energy to do this?  How do you make it a daily ritual?  Any suggestions?
Gail

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/08 2:57 pm
I'm not sure there is a magic answer for this.  You just have to make yourself do it.  Just like you have to eat and breathe and pay taxes LOL.  You will be surprised that once you start, you will crave it.  I, for one, like to exercise later in the evening.  I go to the gym around 8:30/9:00 PM.  Don't push yourself too hard at first, or set goals that are too high.  Doing so can cause frustration and burn out. Start out with short sessions....10 minutes and add a minute every few days...pretty soon, you will be up to 30 minutes or more.  If you like organized classes, find something in your area...yoga, aerobics, karate....When you have a set day and time where people are expecting you to show up it can be easier to make yourself go. 

Good luck!! 

HG
Gail M.
on 9/25/08 3:03 am - Scranton, PA
In the winter months, I'm in my pj's around 9.  I think I'm going to do something at 6 a.m.  A morning wake up call.  I'm not sure if I should go out to a gym, or something at home.  The YMCA is only 3 blocks from my house.  My current gym membership is up in Oct so I have some desicions to make.  I love the gym I belong to....yes even though I haven't been there since March.   But I think I'm ready for classes.  I'd like to try yoga.

lauraanne715
on 9/24/08 7:17 pm - Pottstown, PA
I don't know if this would work for you but it does work for me --I schedule it in like an appointment; I know when I get home I am not going to want to do a full blown work out so I do my mine bright and early before work--it is in my plan book as an appt each day!

Hope this helps!!

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

Gail M.
on 9/25/08 3:00 am - Scranton, PA
  I am in agreement with 1st thing in AM.  If I don't do it than, I won't get to it later.  Now...go out to a gym or do something at home????

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/08 8:13 pm - Eastern, PA
One thing that really helps is doing it at the same time every day.

If your schedule allows, make it part of your routine, and stick to it.

You will find you have MORE energy after a week or two of exercising. I know it sounds like crap, but it's true.

Start slowly. If you tire yourself out and make yourself sore, you'll just be frustrated. Did you do any walking post-op? If not, that might be a good plac to start. Plus, it's a beautiful time of year to be outside!

All that said, there are no magic beans. You just have to put your time in. It will pay you huge dividends though. It's absolutely worth it!

Keep us updated. If you tell us where you're starting, I'm sure some people will have some suggestions for you.

cheers!

shoutjoy
on 9/24/08 8:59 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi,

Finding something you reallu like to do helps.  I dance.  I take Irish and tap classes.  I make sure I budget it in so I can continue.  Practicing is scheduled in my phone calender like an appointment.  I don't always get it in but I am constantly reminded.

Paula
dit657
on 9/24/08 10:01 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Hi Gail - not much I can add that the others haven't already said, but once you make it a habit you will miss it and your body will crave it.

For me walking was the best way to start - I had a puppy who demanded walks, so we went out several times a day! I also had to join a fitness center and get a personal trainer for insurance reasons prior to surgery so that did help me, but it took me a while after surgery to really get back into a fitness routine.

I also agree that you need to fnd a time of day that works best for you - Heather likes to work out in the evenings - I'm a total slug in the evenings so getting my butt up early in the morning works best for me, plus I know that if I want to do extra stuff at night its just icing on the cake since I've already had my work-out.

The latest Barix newsletter also said to work out 6-7 days a week, not the 3-5 that some recommend because its to easy for forego exercise on that type of schedule. If you make it a daily habit its easier to keep - and maybe mix it up. I love my recumbant bike and get good work-outs on it, but also include walking and upper body stuff as well.

All that being said your weight loss is going to slow a little at this point - I'm sure you're eating more, and more substantial foods now than you were, so its bound to slow down a little, and maybe even stall (I had a big stall at 6 months), but exercise will definitely help kick that weight loss back into gear, and even tho pounds may not come off inches definitely will.

Good luck!!

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
ronni5468
on 9/25/08 3:50 am - West Middlesex , PA

Hey Gail, Just thought that I would say Hi! I know what you mean. Our WLS was 6 days apart. I am In a still for about 3 weeks now. It sucks. also I am having a hard time getting in exercise. My hubby keeps at me but I just dont want to. I know that I have to. My son was walking with me for awhaile. I also have no reason not to. I dont work and am at home all day by myself. To bad we dont live closer we could do this together. Good luck.
Ronni

HopefulFuture
on 9/25/08 3:54 am - Boston, MA
Hi Gail!

Nice to hear from you!!  The others have already given you great suggestions and advice.  I exercise regularly and to be honest, I still don't love it.  But when I start to tell myself I don't want to exercise today, I try to promise myself I will at least do 10 minutes and see how I feel after that.  Usually I will keep going.  Also, I'm reading the book for Nicole's weekly chat and here's something that has really helped me the past 2 weeks...

When I say to myself:  "I don't want to exercise"
I counter that with:  "I shouldn't go by whether I want to exercise.  If I want to lose weight and keep it off, I need to exercise.  There are also lots of other benefits to exercising.  I might be making this into a much bigger deal than it really is.  I can do this"
When I think of it less like a choice and more like something that I just have to do, I'm more likely to find the motivation.

Getting started is probably the hardest part.  Once it becomes part of your routine, it will feel strange not exercising. 

And as for whether to join a gym, or exercise at home, or even just go for walks outside, it is really up to you and is really a personal preference.  Personally, I do all 3.  Some people prefer 1 over the other.  Ask yourself which fits better in your schedule and which will make you more likely to fully commit?  Will paying another gym membership give you the motivation you need to go?  Will exercising at home allow you more time to fit it into your routine?  Only you can answer these questions, but I promise it won't seem so daunting once you get started!

Good luck Gail and let us know how you make out!

Lisa :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views