Withdraw Symptoms

DianeMarie
on 9/24/08 4:52 am - Delmont, PA
My last class is October 8th and I've been really good at following the diet the NUT suggested for us.  There was one thing I put off til now.  I have always drank one cup of coffee each morning with my pills.  It was always my breakfast and what I was used to.  I drank the international cafe francais coffee and it had the equivalent of caffiene of two cups of coffee.  I know caffiene can dehydrate you so I gave it up 4 days ago in preperation of my upcoming surgery.

At first it wasnt too bad.  Then all the sudden I got the daily headaches and feeling of almost being drugged.  Today I woke up with that headache and now I have the shakes.  How long does it take to get past the withdraw symptoms?

Diane

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
(deactivated member)
on 9/24/08 5:43 am
Diane

I was a Pepsi addict and when I withdrew from the caffiene it last about 5-7 days. I had the headaches,shakes and moodiness.  

Good Luck and you are gonna get through it!
Melanie B.
on 9/24/08 5:52 am - Doylestown, PA
I gave up caffeine 24 hours prior to surgery and when I say I gave it up I was like you - 1 cup a day and MAYBE a diet coke so not a huge caffeine junkie.

IMO I wouldn't worry about giving it up at this point if you truly enjoy it until you at least have a surgery date. For me even IF I actually detoxed I did it all at once with sugar and all the other crap I ingested in that lovely first week post-op.

Patricia R.
on 9/24/08 6:57 am - Perry, MI
I did not give up the caffeine cold turkey.  I weaned myself by making my coffee half regular and half decaf.  Same for any sodas I was drinking, or iced teas.  I gave myself a week to wean off entirely, gradually making the beverages I drank more decafs and less caffeines, until I was totally off the caffeine. 

That is my suggestion.  I had no withdrawal symptoms and was off caffeine in plenty of time for my surgery.

Good luck.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

jackie j
on 9/24/08 8:30 am - Glenmoore, PA
Trish's way sound good but I'd say if you are already into it by 4 days just suffer the last couple; it should be over by Monday.  One sip would cure the shakes but can you stop with one sip??

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

dit657
on 9/24/08 9:12 am - Boothwyn, PA
Its amazing how little caffeine it takes to be 'addicted' to it - wish you had written before you went off cold turkey, but now that you've done it just ride it out - won't last much longer. I had a Jenny Craig rep stop me cold turkey one time and I thought I would die from the headaches - they were horrible, and I'm not a huge caffeine drinker either.

Hang in there - it will pass....

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 9/24/08 11:35 am - Easton, PA
I used to be a big Diet Pepsi Drinker.  I would go through probably almost a two liter bottle of it a day - plus at work I used to drink the 20 ounce diet pepsi max - at least two of them a night.  I didn't go cold turkey - but I did do it very very quickly and did get the headaches and moodiness - no shakiness now.

I forget how long it took - but it was a couple of days.

Hang in there now that you've been off it for awhile - it will get better.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
tammypa
on 9/24/08 10:02 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Diane,
I think I had a headache for a week - it was awful.
Now that I have been caffeine free for over a year - I am soo glad.
If I had to do it again, I would wean myself off it instead of cold turkey.
But you should be almost there now - the headache should be almost over.
Good Luck, Tammy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views