excersize good for me but easy on my bad back and knees?

therealfroglady
on 9/23/08 6:37 am - mill hall , PA
Hi everyone  I had my surgery July 28th , I have a Tony Little  GAZELLE I get on that at lest 3 times a week but I was wondering if anyone has ideas of some other kind of excersize besides swimming , getting to cold ,( hoping to get another grant at YMCA , 3 month ran out )  thanks ahead of time for any and all responses
God bless everyone os us on our journies of a healthier life

Wendy

God bless everyone on their journey to a healthier life!!
Wendy

jdruski
on 9/23/08 7:50 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Wendy,

Welcome to the PA board.  I have severe bone on bone so most times even walking is painful.  Everyone recommends the swimming.  Can you walk without much difficulty?  I just bought one of those little bikes that you sit on a chair and peddle away.  If this works and I stay committed to it I might invest in a recumbent (sp?) bike.

There are several people on here who will probably be able to help you with exercise questions.

Jeanne
therealfroglady
on 9/23/08 11:09 am - mill hall , PA
guess I will have to start looking around for one of those lil bikes to sit and pedal

thanks
Wendy

God bless everyone on their journey to a healthier life!!
Wendy

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/08 7:59 am
Hi Wendy,

I find the eliptical machines are easy on the joints and back.  The only thing that bothers my knees is the recumbent bike so I limit my time on them.

Happy exercising!

HG
jdruski
on 9/23/08 9:15 am - Philadelphia, PA
Heather,

I am glad you posted about the bike.  The MD that I do to for my knees recommended it.  Do you have an eliptical or do you use one at the gym?

Hope you are feeling better

Jeanne
(deactivated member)
on 9/23/08 9:32 am
I use the one at the gym.  I like the ARC trainer too...it is  a lot like the eliptical.

I do feel better, thanks!

HG
dit657
on 9/23/08 10:32 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Wendy, I have a recumbant bike that I use for the majority of my exercise. I have bi-lateral knee replacements and that really helps my knees and back. The recumbank bikes have a nice back rest to support your back. If money is an issue I would recommend Craig's list or start looking at fall yard sales - people are always selling exercise equipment.

I've tried elipticals in the past - unfortuately I was much too heavy and pushing my own weight on those was not a good thing, I might try them again now that I've lost a lot of weight. And I love treadmills but that might bother your back.

Best of luck with whatever you choose - start slowly and work your way into it. Oh, and music really helps when on the bikes - keeps you motivated and moving!!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 9/24/08 12:00 am - Easton, PA
Wendy,

Everyone had ideas that I was gonna say - the elliptical, the arc trainer, things like that.

If you do get to go back to the YMCA, perhaps they have a lite yoga class or something like that? I have not taken a yoga class myself but have heard very good things about it.

Good luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Shannon O.
on 9/24/08 2:31 am - Reading, PA
if you have a bad back and knees I wouldn't do yoga or pilates in a class but a one on one session... other wise you will hurt yourself a lot... some of the moves aren't easy unless you have some help guiding you to make sure you don't hurt yourself... which is why I said the one on one... some insurance companies will help cover things like that if they are seen as physical therapy... the other thing is Ti Chi and things like that... very slow graceful movements that you hold... you see a lot of nursing homes use it because you can do it sitting or standing...

There is also the walk away the pounds videos... if you have a spongy mat that you can walk on at home that will keep the movements from being to jarring on those areas...

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views