Dumping sucks...

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/08 2:20 pm
I am sitting here dumping on watermelon.  Never dumped on it before....my heart is pounding out of my chest, I am nauseous, shaking, etc.  I am finding that I have become more sensitive to foods at two years out than I ever was.  I have never once had a full blown case of dumping at work, only at home.  I usually dump in the evenings, not earlier in the day.  I either dump immediately or exactly 5 hours after I have eaten something that didn't agree with me.  I have maybe had foamies at work 2 or 3 times in 2 years....at home i can count on it at least once a week.  Sometimes, it is on a daily basis...seems to come in cycles.  All of a sudden, I can actually throw up....not just spit up foamie crap.  Sometimes I can eat almost like a "normal" person, other times I take 3 or 4 bites and I am full or worse yet, sick.  I seem to be able to eat more at work than at home....of course, I eat much slower at work than at home, where I tend to shovel food in without being aware of what I am doing.....will I ever learn??  There is never any rhyme or reason to  when something will make me dump just because of what it is, not because of how fast I ate it.  It keeps me on my toes, but I also get frustrated.  Seriously folks...why would I dump on watermelon now  when I have had it plenty of times in the past.  Over the last 4 or 5 days, I can barely eat before I am sick or full...its almost like my pouch shrunk up on me. I have noticed that when I am sad, stressed, upset, anything other than happy and at peace, I have trouble eating.  I don't do emotional eating other than when I am bored.  I actually have no desire to eat lately...it's a chore just to figure out what I am going to eat.  I had no desire to eat this morning...I usually eat at 7:30 when I get to work.  By 10 I felt myself getting shakey, so I forced myself to eat.  Maybe this would be a great time to go back to all liquids.  Of course, I haven't dropped a pound with the decrease in calories and increase in exercise....that is also a huge frustration for me. 

Anyway....does anyone else have such unpredictiable reactions to food?  I wonder if my body is becoming more sensitive or is it that I am pushing the limits more than I did in the past.  Although, I honestly don't think I am pushing more.  

OK...it is WAY past my bed time.  Good nite.

HG

Patricia R.
on 9/22/08 4:42 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Heather,
I am so sorry to hear you dumped on wathermelon.  I would hate thet, big time. 

Hangi in there. 

Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Pam Hart
on 9/22/08 9:59 pm - Easton, PA
I can't offer any advice especially with how far out you are in comparison to me.  Wanted to say that I hope it passed and you feel better soon.

Actually - sitting here thinking about it - what kind of foods are you dumping on besides the watermelon?  I know the non sf ice was a problem for you awhile back.  I'm wondering if it is the reactive hypoglycemic issue?  That wouldn't explain the 5 hour later attack...but it might for the ones that happen sooner.  Watermelon, although natural sugars, has carbs and that's what can trigger the reactive hypoglycemic issue.

Have you had your two year follow up?  I remember you getting your blood work done but don't remember if you saw brader or not.  This might be a great topic to bring up to him.

Feel better.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 9/22/08 10:17 pm
Pam,

Funny you mention the reactive hypoglycemia.  I had just come back from an hour at the gym....hadn't been able to eat much dinner before I went.  After the gym, I hit the grocery store for milk...which of course turned into a much longer trip than planned....but I still left with almost nothing because nothing appeals to me any more.  When I got home...which was after 11PM I had some cheese and, at most, a cup of watermelon. 

I dump on sugar and sugar free stuff. Its not like I eat a lot of the sugar or sugar alcohols, but sugars seem to add up in my body during the day and if I go one gram over what my body can handle in a day , I dump. Sugar alcohol causes an immediate reaction. The 5 hour later thing seems to be from too much fat, although, I keep a careful eye on that too. 

Haven't had my 2 year yet...waiting for them to get my labs and my charts from Barix. 
FlourPower
on 9/22/08 9:59 pm - PA
Heather I too have problems eating at times.  Usually when I am stressed my pouch will dont allow me to eat more then 3-4 bites.  If I'm relaxed then I can eat my 2oz. 

As far as dumping on the watermelon.....I'm not sure.  Did you just ea****ermelon and not have any protein with it?  Maybe that's where the difference is this time?  I've dumped a few times but for me it's almost instantly....once on a protein drink and then another time on a few baking chips for cookies (peanut butter flavored..) I ate five of those little buggers and was a dizzy lizzy for a while. 

I've also had the foamies early out because I had to learn to eat slowely and chew a lot better ....LOL!!

I hope you feel better....

Chrissy

[

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/08 10:25 pm
thanks Chrissy.

I did have cheese with the watermelon (funny combination).  I am wondering if my blood sugar was low because of not eating much dinner, then exercising for an hour and then eating something so high on the glycemic index.  I don't know.  It passed with in a half hour, but I hate the heart pounding, shaking and feeling of panic. 

Unfortunatly, I can be a slow learning and I am still beating my head against the wall when it comes to eating slowly.  Someday I will get it through  my thick head LOL

hg
tammypa
on 9/22/08 10:17 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Heather,
I am only one year out - but I have to say that I can sympathize with the watermelon. I ate a couple of bites of watermelon - so I thought I was okay with it. I had it as a snack one day at work and I was so sick. It was the worst case of dumping that I have ever had. I was talking to my  a friend who has diabetes and she said that it is very high on the glycemic index. I am so sorry to hear of all your eating woes. It would probably be a good idea to call your doctor. Tammy
dit657
on 9/22/08 10:18 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Heather that really sucks!! I love watermelon and its one fruit I can eat most of the time - I think I like it so much because its so juicy and goes down so well - so don't want to hear about dumping from that! But then I dumped on pineapple, too, so who knows.

I hope you're feeling better, tho - dumping sucks big time....

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
jdruski
on 9/22/08 11:13 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Heather,

I have asked myself the same question.  I never dumped, still haven't 2.5 years out.  But after my hernia and panni surgery in January, I became very sensitve to foods also.  I also don't feel hungry and only a small amount of foods fills me up. 

I am doing the 5 day pouch test every 8 weeks, and it seems that after I do that I feel really good.

I don't know about you but I am very grateful that this is happening as for awhile there I really thought, "I broke my pouch".

The other thing that I noticed is that prior to my reconstructive surgery that I could eat and enjoyed chocolate.  I am not a chocolate fanatic but I liked it.  Now I really don't like the taste. 

I hope you are feeling better.  I have no advice only empathy for what you are going through.

Jeanne
EileenWalton
on 9/23/08 1:44 am
No advice from me either, just hoping you are feeling better and can get  the answers to your questions. 

Makes you wonder if what's happening is really a bad thing, doesn't it?  On the one hand, being two years out and still not have a huge hunger is wonderful.  After all, that's what will keep us from gaining our weight back.  Now if we can just keep the hunger away without the dumping, that would be magic.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
Eileen

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views