What a rough 2 weeks

Marlo71
on 9/21/08 11:51 pm - Harrisburg, PA
Hi Everyone!  Sorry I havent been around much, I've been stuck on the couch in miserable pain.  The first week after surgery was ok, alot of pain but I knew it was normal. Then I started feeling better, then all of a sudden last Wed, I started getting this HORRIBLE screaming pain on my left side and near my belly button.  I had already had my 1 week check up and the DR. said every thing looked good and then the pain hit.  So after 2 days I called the Doc back and told them that it was very hot at my Drain incision on my left side and there was a big knot underneather it and I was in alot of pain.  So he prescibed me some antibotics thinking it might be an infection.  Well after 1 day I was still in so much I was crying, I could only lay flat on my back and not move.  And my skin around the incisions is so senstive, I cant touch it or have anything laying against it, its weird.  Finally my BF made me go to the Emergency room.  My surgeons assistant looked me over and said there is no infection anywhere, you look fine, I think you are havng muscle spasms, here take these muscle relaxers.  UGH  But I've been taking them for a few days now and it seems to help.  I can get up and down much better, but man if I move funny, it feels like razor blades cutting me from the inside.  I have never felt such pain!  So, it hasnt been much fun for me.  But I have lost 18 pounds and now am on Soft Foods.  My pouch has been fine so far no problems there.   But I cant wait to feel better.  So, thats my update!  I hope everyone is doing good and had a good weekend!

Also, does anyone have suggestions on whats good to eat on the Soft Foods.  I have all the basics, cottage cheese, eggs, etc...but would like any other ideas!  thanks so much!  Have a great day!

-Marlo 

Pam Hart
on 9/22/08 12:06 am - Easton, PA
Marlo,

continue getting better.  That left sided pain can be real bad - although I didn't have drains.  Glad to hear it's not infected.  I know my surgeon uses the bigger instrument in the lower left side and it's the deepest one and she said that's why the pain was there.

Soft foods - I loved (and still eat) non fat ricotta cheese one of two ways:
1)  Sprinkle w/ cinnamon and splenda, tastes almost like rice pudding
2)  Combine w/ a little spaghetti sauce and some mozzarella and microwave it till heated through sprinkle w/ garlic powder.  Like a pasta-less italian dish.

I was also allowed cheesesticks on soft foods - but that was at 5 weeks out for me - so I'm not sure if you are allowed that so early out as the cottage cheese and eggs and what not sound more like a pureed stage to me (and about where I was at 3 weeks out)

If you are on pureed foods and its ok with your doctor, you can take things like taco meat, chili, hamburgers etc and puree them in a food processor with some liquids (broth or whatever) and have it that way.  It gives a nice change of pace to everything else "sweet" that we are allowed to have (yogurts, puddings, etc)  Just remember to read labels for sugar content especially if you are not making them yourself at home.

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
keri2008
on 9/22/08 1:21 am - PA
Marlo,
I'm so sorry to hear you're having so much pain!  I know I felt some discomfort on my left-sided incisions (bending, etc.) because the biggest tool is used on that side.  Either cold packs or a LOW heating pad might help too.  Gentle massage around the area might also help loosen things up.

I have fallen in love with ricotta cheese, it's high in protein and my pouch loves it.  I mix it with 1/2 T of s/f blackberry jelly.  I also love mashed taters (low-fat butter and not much of it, and skim milk - or instant if that's easier).  Then I make a package of chicken gravy up and keep it in a container in the fridge.  For a meal I put some taters (1/4 c) in a bowl.  I puree/blend 1/4 of the gravy with 2 ounces of canned chicken (it's moister than cooked chicken right now for me).  I pour that on top of the taters and heat it up.  The chicken is 7-10 grams (depending on the brand) of protein.  It's all smooth and my pouch loves it.  It's a recipe from the Barix book made "my way."  LOL.  You can also take refried beans with some sals and lf sour cream and blend them.  I LOVE that one!  Enjoy.

Keri
Laureen S.
on 9/22/08 1:24 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Margo,

The left-sided pain is a pretty common complaint with many people who have had WLS and can last a few weeks, I think I read somewhere that the instruments they use are inserted in that area which is why it can hurt so much, but it does subside and it seems you are having luck with the muscle relaxers, so that is a good thing. 

Sounds like you are doing great so far, as for soft foods, there are the creamy soups, that you can put in the blender and give your tastebuds a treat with.  I used to take ricotta cheese, egg, pepper, garlic powder and a small piece of mozzarella cheese chopped up and nuke it till it had a soupy consistency, can't remember, think it was about 2 to 3 minutes, then I would take a fork to make sure there were no lumps of cheese and I would eat that, it was like the filling you find inside a calzone. . .

Good luck as you progress on your WLS journey!

Hugs, L

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

FlourPower
on 9/22/08 3:52 am - PA
Oh my yes, I too remember that horrible left side pain.  It really does hurt and what can and does make it feel worse is if your bowels are not moving. 

I hope that you feel better soon and are able to come here to the message boards more often. 

Just rest and take care of yourself. 

Congrats on the 18 pounds!!!!

Chrissy

[

FastFingers ~*~
on 9/22/08 4:31 am
Sounds like a hematoma to me.  You might want to call your doc about it again.

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

evrblue
on 9/22/08 7:14 pm - McConnellsburg, PA
Hope you are feeling better soon. I have colitis so I can relate. Not quite as severe as pain as yours but in the same area. Heating pad or warm wash cloth helps me. Take care of U!
Congrats on your 18 lb loss!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views