WOW moments at school

GD_007
on 9/20/08 9:04 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Just wanted to share with everyone.... today was my first day back to the in-class MBA classes.  This summer had been a 100% online term so my schoolmates had not seen me since around May.

In our class of 30+ - I had, at least, 20 people approach me and say something along the lines of "Wow, Greg, you look good - did you lose some weight?" or "Wow - Greg, you've really lost weight".  It was really nice to hear it from people who've not seen me for a few months.  After about the 10th person it almost got embarsing.  A few asked "How did you do it?".....that was the tough part....with some topics I open up like a book and "other" topics I keep close to the chest.  I'm not yet ready to shout from the mountain tops that I had RNY WLS.  I don't know if I'll ever - it's personal and frankly, as I've posted in the past, I really don't want to hear other people's opinions about WLS and YOU KNOW as soon as you bring it up most people will feel obligated to give you their $0.02.  At the same time I have this moral compass that does not want to lie to people.  So this was my reply:
"Yes, thank you, I have lost weight over the summer and I hope to lose more.  I've been walking with the baby every day, about 3 miles, and I've just started jogging for some portions of the walk.  I've also been eatting on the babies schedule - 6 small meals roughly every 3 hours.  I've also given up sweets, soda, alcohol and other high calorie stuff that we shouldn't be eating anyways.  I now focus on protein and small frequent meals while drinking water water water inbetween meals". 

That seemed to work and most simply smiled and said "well, good for you - keep it up".

Boy - o -boy, I can only imagine what people at work will say when I return on 9/30..... or friends/family in Canada when we go up around American Thanksgiving...

Thanks for reading.
-GD
p.s:  My new avatar is an old "before" picture, from work, however I do have updated photos from my 1-month out date (8/28) that only "friends" can see.

dit657
on 9/20/08 9:30 am - Boothwyn, PA
Congratulationson the wonderful wow moments you just had - it really does make your day, doesn't it!? And I love your answer about weight loss, because its all true - I don't have any problem telling people about the RNY, but I do add that I work out regularly - I watch everything I eat, etc. That way they know its not a miracle cure but a tool to help us do the things we should have been doing all along.

So good for you!! The people at work are going to be amazed and in awe of you too. Enjoy!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
GD_007
on 9/21/08 12:50 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
Thanks Kathy!
-GD
IdaD
on 9/20/08 9:32 am - Philadelphia, PA
Congratulations on your wow moments.  I am currently beginning my WLS adventure.  My hubby had WLS in 2006.  Like you there are a select few that know how he lost the weight, however, most he chooses to not tell due to the negative stories. 
Enjoy your adventure and all the up coming wow moments.  I know how much my hubby enjoyed this adventure to a healthy lifestyle.

Ida
Ida

"One single grateful thought raised to heaven is the most perfect prayer."
G. E. Lessing
German critic & dramatist (1729 - 1781)
GD_007
on 9/21/08 12:51 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
Hey Ida,
Thanks very much!!  I saw your husbands post a week or so ago - so good luck to you both!
-GD
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/08 9:34 am
Enjoy those wow moments.  I know how you feel about being embarrassed by all the attention.  It will become more natural as time goes on, but I still can get a bit uncomfortable with the attention sometimes. 

I was/am selective about who I told about my surgery.  Only a few people at work know.  A couple "non wls" friends know and my immediate family.  Doctors, etc know....and I have told some neighbors.  Really, the only people I do NOT want to know is the majority of people I work with.  It's your medical history and no one except those you choose to tell need to know so don't feel strange about not telling people. 

Keep up the hard work...you are doing a great job.

HG
GD_007
on 9/21/08 12:53 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
Thanks Heather! 
-GD
"not the fish guy"
Dennis Belk
on 9/20/08 11:03 am - Philadelphia, PA
You're doing a great job Greg!
Thanks for sharing,

Dennis
GD_007
on 9/21/08 12:53 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
Thanks Dennis!!
-GD
Pam Hart
on 9/20/08 11:25 am - Easton, PA
Greg,

Great moments!!  Your answer for the weight loss is almost word for word what I tell most people too.  My immediate family knows (parents, in laws, brothers) but everyone else in the family does not know.  I have two non wls friends who know, and then my co workers know (we work in a hospital....so I told them)  But all of the extended friends, relatives etc....don't have a clue.  They are not quite buying my story at this point...cause I hit goal in under 11 mos....but that's ok.  What I tell them IS the truth same as you.

Congrats and many more continued moments!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views