I've created my own sign-on

IdaD
on 9/20/08 9:52 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hello Everyone,
Since I've decided to explore WLS for me I've decided that having my own page might be helpful for me.  You all know me as my hubby's sign on Harleyandhisangel :love:

Just a little update.  I have my informational session at Jeanes Temple on September 30th.  I'm a bit scared because I know I'm a light weight.  My BMI is just over 35.  I do have existing co-morbities which should qualify me for this, but who knows.  I've been working with a nutritionist for the last 4 months trying to get my diabetes back under control but instead of loosing weight, I'm gaining.  It's like a switch has been turned on in me, that will not allow me to remain at a healthy weight.  I'm walking 3 miles everyday which used to keep my weight under control.  Then I'm also walking on my treadmill at night another 2-3 miles.  My nutritrionist is completely stumped but we are going to keep working on this.  It's frustrating but it's also nice to know that I'm eating balanced healthy meals exercising and not doing anything wrong to make my weight go up.  In the meantime I'm looking into WLS to get me healthy again.  I've had diabetes for 11 years now, this is the first time it's gone out of control.  I have also been tested for thyroid & cushings disease to try to explain the uncontrollable weight gain. 

I will also be having a hysterectomy next month sometime we still have to iron out the details.  Gene and I discussed it after my last Gyn appt.  I need to get my body healthy if I want to have WLS so with the Gyn problems I've been having hopefully this will heal my body so that I am strong enough to have WLS in the future.

Please keep me in your positive thoughts and prayers.

Have a blessed day.

Ida
Ida

"One single grateful thought raised to heaven is the most perfect prayer."
G. E. Lessing
German critic & dramatist (1729 - 1781)
Ready4 AChange
on 9/20/08 11:12 am - Upper Chichester, PA
Just wanted to say hi ! Nice to meet you. I will be 3 years Sept. 28 and I am so glad I had this done. I feel good ( even thought I haven't lost as much as some of the people on this board) My only regret is that I waited so long to do this for myself.
 If you have any questions there is plenty of help on this board, ( and hubby also)

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

IdaD
on 9/20/08 11:23 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hello,
We've spoken quite a bit in the past when I've been signed on under my hubby   (gene's) OH sign on.  Nice to see that you are still around.  I see so many new faces on here now and not many of those that I used to speak to a couple years ago.  It will be nice to get to know everyone again.
Thanks
Ida
Ida

G. E. Lessing
Pam Hart
on 9/20/08 11:19 am - Easton, PA
Ida,

Welcome!!  I "spoke" with your husband the other week when he gave us all an update on himself and also mentioned you.  Welcome to your own sign on!

I know you are already very well versed in the WLS thing and have been a phenomenal support to your husband which I think is wonderful.  I am/was 5'3" and high weight was 235 so I was considered a "light weight" as well as I just barely over the 100 pounds to lose (107 to be exact)  I am also fairly young....26 at time of surgery, turned 27 a month later.  I already had some comorbid factors - although most were "preliminary"  I was a pre diabetic w/ a strong family history, borderline hypertension, mild sleep apnea, along with some joint problems.  I was afraid of being denied as well - but got approved anyway.  You have a leg up on that you already know the insurance game and just remember to document everything and anything.

Welcome to the boards and good luck!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
IdaD
on 9/20/08 11:40 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Pam,
Thanks.  We didn't have to play the insurance game to have his surgery approved, he was 300+ when he started his journey.  Now we are playing the insurance game to have his PS approved.  What a pain in the butt that is turning out to be. 
It was nice when he first had his surgery I lost about 50 or so pounds with him.  I've continued to eat healthy and exercise everyday except the weekends.  And have managed to pack on every pound I lost as well as a few more.  It's frustrating to know that you have not changed anything but all of a sudden the weight is coming back, the sugar is going out of control, and my back, knees, ankles, and feet are starting to hurt again but I push myself to take that walk every day, I refuse to sit still.  Even my nutritionist is stumped with my weight gain.  Between her and my PCP we've ruled out thyroid - I have many of the symptoms of hypothyroid but the blood test, it always comes back in the normal range.  We've checked all my other hormones since I've turned 50 and they have not been out of wack.  I do have PCOS and do need to have a hysterectomy due to the fibroids getting so big, and the anemia I've had from all of that, so that will be scheduled.  I know I need to get my body back into the best physical shape to even be able to have this surgery. 
I'm pretty sure my PCP will be on board with the WLS since he is the one that really supported the hubby having the surgery.  So I know he'll give me the same support.
As for documenting everything, I've been working on documenting all the diets, fad & healthy I've been on since the 80's.  I was a skinny kid, but after my first marriage ended up getting to 250 pounds at one point.  I lost over 100 pounds then continued to yo-yo since.  When I first met Gene I was very thin, then stopped walking when I moved from NJ to Philly with him.  I was afraid to walk the streets at night when I moved here so I stopped walking for about a year and gained a lot of weight.  Then figured out how to get a walk in at lunchtime at work, so I lost all the weight again.  Then my swich turned off and i gained it all back plus. So now I fighting just to maintain my weight somewhere and it's not working. 

Sorry for rambling.

Again it's nice to meet you.

Take care,
Ida
Ida

G. E. Lessing
Happy to be in
Onederland

on 9/21/08 6:04 am

Hi Ida,

Wishing you all the best. 

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

IdaMae D.
on 9/22/08 5:11 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Nannette,
How are you.
Ida

IdaMae

keri2008
on 9/21/08 10:58 pm - PA
Welcome - you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Keri
IdaMae D.
on 9/22/08 5:12 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Keri,
Thanks. So as not to confuse you I'm on my husbands OH profile at the moment. When I started responding I'd forgotten that I signed in as him, I'm so used to using this one it's hard to get used to using my own

Ida

IdaMae

HopefulFuture
on 9/24/08 9:31 am - Boston, MA
Welcome aboard Ida!  Just wanted to say hi and wish you good luck with everything!

Lisa :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views