No sugar added yogurt....... help

JoAnn C.
on 9/20/08 12:50 am - PA
Every yogurt I pick up has sugar. What is a good  brand for pre op diet and after surgery?
I have yet to pick one up that doesnt have at least 16 gr sugar.
Non  of them say no sugar added.

and what is greek yougurt and where do you get it?  Havent seen that one.
JoAnn

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/08 1:37 am
There is a carb control yogurt out there...at least there used to be.  I think it is by Dannon.  Also, the non-fat greek yogurt is a great choice.  You can get the Fage brand or Trader Joe's.  TJ's is cheaper and just as good.  It is more expensive than regular yogurt, but worth every penny.  I mix it with sugar free jams, fruit, applesauce, etc.  Also, it is good used as a substitute for sour cream.

HG
JoAnn C.
on 9/20/08 1:55 am - PA
THanks Heather,

I saw the greek yogurt but I didnt notice if it was fat  free.  I will check that out;  We dont have a Trader Joes around here I will check at all the local stores.  thanks again.
JoAnn

Pam Hart
on 9/20/08 2:04 am - Easton, PA
If all else fails, read the ingredient list, not just the label (you should get into the habit of doing this anyway)

Dannon Lite and Fit is no sugar added - made w/ splenda.  The sugars are high - about 11gm but it's natural from the milk and fruit.

Other name brands of greek yogurt:  Fage, Oikios (sp??), and Chonobi (sp?)  Chonobi is my favorite one.  All of them come in 0%, 1%, 2% fat.  Even the 2% fat is still within my guidlines - but the protein count diminishes just slightly with the higher fat - so I use the nonfat one and find it is fine.  I use splenda, fruit, sf jams, and davinci sf syrup (which I buy online but have heard you can get in WalMart and such) to sweeten them.  I also use it in the place of sour cream on tacos and in dips such as sour cream and onion. 

Good luck!!

Pam

PS:  Dannon Lite and Fit also smakes yogurt smoothie drinks sold in bottles - which is 5gm of protein per bottle - not bad for a snack.  Most of the Dannon Lite and Fit Yogurts are 5gm of protein in a 6 ounce cup.  The greek yogurts are anywhere between 11gm-18gm per 6 ounces.
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Patricia R.
on 9/20/08 7:41 am, edited 9/20/08 7:41 am - Perry, MI
I only buy the Dannon Lite and Fit yogurts, because they have no added sugar and I believe no fat.  I use them in my protein shakes, as well as for snacks at work.  I can usually find them on sale for 50 to 60 cents a piece.  So, I stock up on them at that time.  Make sure they have the "zero" on the front.  I sent my mom to the store right after I had my surgery, and she accidentally bought me Dannon regular yogurt.  She didn't know to look for the "zero."

Good luck.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

dit657
on 9/20/08 9:18 am - Boothwyn, PA
The Dannon Lite n Fit vanilla is very good - and I'm very prone to dumping but I can eat that - rarely eat a full serving (what they consider a serving) so that may be why I can tolerate it. Other than that the only other one I've seen and had is the Fage and you had to add stuff to that.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Ready4 AChange
on 9/20/08 11:19 am - Upper Chichester, PA
Since my surgery I have used Dannon Light N Fit yogurt. In the beginning my husband would add protein ( unflavored) to it for that extra protein. My grandson who is 3 when he visits he heads to the fridge for some of "mom mom's yogurt" he likes the peach and it won't hurt him either.  You may want to try that to see how you like it.
Good Luck,

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

hudockmew
on 9/20/08 12:23 pm - bensalem, PA
I was told after surgery that Dannon Light and Fit is the best.  If you look, it has sugar, but it is 7th on the list, which means its a go...i have been eating this for almost two years, every morning and put my protien right in it.  If you stir and let it sit a few minutes, then stir again, you won't even know its in there....Acme has it on sale this week around here anyway, 20 for $10
Pam Hart
on 9/20/08 8:12 pm - Easton, PA
NONFAT YOGURT [CULTURED GRADE A NON FAT MILK, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, KOSHER GELATIN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D3], STRAWBERRIES, WATER, CONTAINS LESS THAN 1% OF MODIFIED CORN STARCH, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SUCRALOSE, SODIUM CITRATE, MALIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE (TO MAINTAIN FRESHNESS), RED 40.

This is copied and pasted from Dannon's website for Dannon Lite and Fit Strawberry flavor.  I believe you are referring to "sucralose" which is not sugar, rather, the generic name for splenda.  No sugar in it except from the milk!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
jjs1981
on 9/21/08 1:40 am - PHILADELPHIA, PA
Dannon Light and Fit just switched to using aspertame instead of Splenda as a sweetner. I saw it a few weeks ago when I noticed the calorie count was a little higher. Still tastes good, but I know some olks don't like aspertame. I also tried Bryers light since it was on sale last week and it tasted pretty good. Only 80 calories, but still has aspertame.

Consult           Day of Surgery          Currently        Goal
 282lbs                270lbs                     168lbs          165lbs?
2/7/2007          12/7/2007                  10/18/2008

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views