OT: Should a girl go out to a bar alone?

CherylT
on 9/19/08 11:26 pm - Perkasie, PA
Up for discussion, if you chose to:

Is it wrong or unwise? Is it a corrupt, evil world where predators are just waiting to slip something in your drink, or is that a rarity and you should live it up, or somewhere in between?

Dennis Belk
on 9/20/08 12:13 am, edited 9/20/08 12:15 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Cheryl,
I'm not the WLS po po (police),
BUT I wouldn't want you to go to ANY bar alone. Unless it was in your neighborhood and you know the crowd and you have a stringent plan for not drinking at all or very little. 
Is it wrong or unwise? I'd say it's always better to have a plan so you get back home safe. 
Is it a corrupt, evil world where predators are just waiting to slip something in your drink? Oh yeah even in the safest hoods.
Or is that a rarity and you should live it up, or somewhere in between? Everything is rare, until it happens to you or someone you know.

Most of us have lived our lives spending too much time alone. Now don't get me wrong, I like solitude too, but away from everyone, not in a social scene, in a bar where there are all kinds of folk with differing agendas. There are safer places to meet people, but if the bar is calling you go ahead get your beautiful self together and go out with several of your beautiful WLS girlfriends and have some fun. Don't prey on the boys too badly. LOL. Bring along some pre-mixed Crystal Light to mix with a spirit if you so chose. Vodka has a low hangover potential. Just be careful and avoid too many different kinds of alcohol. Drink responsibly and slowly, I don't want you to get sick on your night out.. And one of you should be the designated driver. Have a safe time.

Dennis
Pam Hart
on 9/20/08 12:36 am - Easton, PA
I personally don't like going to bars alone - not due to the danger, but just because if I'm going out, I prefer to have people with me for socialization.  I'm not much for hanging out by myself (but love being home by myself sometimes)

For others...well....I would like to think that it's ok to do and potentially harmless.  Unfortunately that is not the world we live in.  I think if someone IS going to a bar alone they need to take precautions.  A)  Have a ride home B)  Don't get drunk (or even tipsy for that matter) C)  Never ever leave the bar with someone in their car D)  Have a plan to get the heck outta there at a moments notice.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
CherylT
on 9/20/08 12:40 am - Perkasie, PA
Thanks Dennis. The thing is, there's a band playing that I'd like to go see, just not sure about going cause it's a hard rock band and that may bring an unsavory bunch of folks.

Dennis Belk
on 9/20/08 2:19 am - Philadelphia, PA
I hear ya Cheryl,
May be you can get someone around here to hang with ya.
Post it. It can't hurt.
I'd rather you not be alone.

Dennis
CherylT
on 9/20/08 12:42 am, edited 9/20/08 2:41 am - Perkasie, PA
Thanks Pam. Yeah, I just don't know...never been out much...

Shan08
on 9/20/08 2:46 am - the Skook, PA

I don't see anything wrong with it... as a matter of fact, I went out to a bar alone last night (relax, drinking water).  Of course it's a bar from my hometown, so I always just run into people I know, so after a while the whole fact that I actually entered the bar alone becomes unimportant.  Know what I mean? 

And I would definitely go alone or with others to see a good rock band... perhaps that makes me part of the 'unsavory bunch', but yea whatever, lol.  I feel confident enough in my social skills (and my ability to make safe decisions and take care of myself) to have a decent time, even if I don't stay til closing.

Go out, and HAVE FUN!  Just be smart... know what I mean?

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
Nicole0216
on 9/20/08 4:35 am - Lancaster, PA
hey if you want to see the band. Just make sure someone knows where you are and check in with them so that your whereabouts are known. Dont drink too much and stay alert, should be fine
CherylT
on 9/20/08 9:21 am - Perkasie, PA
Well, I made it into a starbucks. Do coffee bars count?

LOL. Hey, studying the nervous system is borringggg.

Liz R.
on 9/21/08 8:49 am - Easton, PA
Cheryl  - If it is a bar in Perkasie you are probably safe. Just remember if you are going to drink alchol and haven't yet I would try it frist at home - it hits fast and hard!

Nothing wrong with going out to a bar to see a band on your own though!

Have fun and be safe!

Liz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views