Anyone have surgery at Elkins Park with Dr. Dallal?

ncleary24
on 9/19/08 2:18 pm - Broomall, PA
Hello everyone...

I am scheduled to have RNY surgery with Dr. Dallal in Phila on 9/30....I'm on a 2 week prep liquid protein diet...they tell me that's the worst part of it....has anyone had surgery with Dr. Dallal? I am encouraged when I see all the before and after pictures on the OH site. I feel confident with my doctor...he's never had a fatality, but I'm still a little nervous.
Patricia R.
on 9/19/08 2:22 pm - Perry, MI
Hello there,
I have not had surgery with Dr. Dallal, but I do recognize his name on the PA forum.  Of course you are nervous.  We all were at one point prior to our surgery.  The key is to focus on the positives of the surgery, and trust that God is in control of everything.

Welcome to the PA forum.  We have the best group of supportive people on OH.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

ncleary24
on 9/19/08 2:37 pm - Broomall, PA
Thanks for the kind words, Trish...I am nervous, but that's not going to change my mind. I keep looking  at the before and after pictures, and tell myself "that's going to be me!!!!" I have to figure out how to navigate this site...so much information!!!
SammySam
on 9/19/08 3:33 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hello! 

I had surgery with Dr. Dallal and I love him!  He is super competent, has done more than 1200 of these surgeries, and will talk to you like a person.  He is patient, and will not rush you through your appointments.  YOU ARE IN EXCELLENT HANDS! 

One of your best resources in his office is Christine (and you can tell her that Coni said so!!).  Linda is great too, and is super smart. 

I'm happy to talk to you if you'd like!  Please, please, please PM me with any questions.  I am really happy to help. 

all the best,

Coni
ncleary24
on 9/20/08 6:10 am - Broomall, PA

Thanks Coni,

I have heard nothing but wonderful things about him...someone I work with went to him and feels like you do...I am still nervous, though...hearing what you said and what my co-worker said helps to relieve my anxiety. It is such a big, life changing step. Do you go to the support group at Elkins Park? I went to the last meeting...really nice people....one of the women suggested that I check out this web site...that's how I found it. I will tell Christine and Linda you said "hi".

Thanks,

Nancy

ncleary24
on 9/20/08 11:27 pm - Broomall, PA

Coni,

I went for my pre-admission testing last week and got my prescriptions...your suggestion of getting them filled before surgery is a good one. I've been getting a lot of things done before surgery so I can rest afterward (cleaning, errands, cat supplies...)  It is very comforting to hear you sing the praises of the staff at Elkins Park...I have never been to that hospital before, so even the area is foreign to me. I live in Delaware County, but I work as a nurse in the Einstein Health System, so that's how I knew about Dr. Dallal. Did you know he got an homorable mention as one of the top docs in Phila. Magazine? All thes things help me to feel more confident in my decison.

I'm having the lap done. I had a lap for gall bladder sugery in 2004 and was up and around after a few days. My 26 year old daughter lives in Boston and she will be with me for a few days, then a friend of mine is coming for a few days. I'm planning on reading, watching movies, and just relaxing.

The meetings at Elkins Park are the last Tuesday of the month from 6-7p. I can make them because I get out of work between 3:30-4p. I just needed to talk with some other people who have been through the surgery. This forum is also good for me...everytime I look at the before and after pictures, I am so encouraged.

Enough of my babble. How is your weight loss going? Have you had any roadblocks?

Thanks for responding,

Nancy

SammySam
on 9/20/08 12:52 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hey Nancy!

I understand being nervous, but again, you are in great hands.  The nurses were great too - I hope you have the same experience.  Are you having LAP or Open?  I had LAP and was only in the hospital one night, and was home by around 3:30pm the day after surgery. 

I still have yet to attend one of Elkins Park support group meetings.  As I recall, they are during the week (I forget what day) and they start at 6pm - it is really difficult for me to get up there at that time.  I live and work in Center City, and traffic is a nightmare going north and having to be anywhere by 6pm.  I wi**** was at 7pm instead, or even on a Saturday morning. 

Make sure you get your prescriptions filled prior to surgery - it makes it a lot easier to have them on hand when the time comes to take them. 

Please let me know if I can help in any way! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views