Barix Saturday Meetings

Dennis Belk
on 9/19/08 5:52 am - Philadelphia, PA

We are still developing these meetings.
We are building a leader base, format and many other matters.
I will post info right here for the 1st - First Saturday Meeting.
Information will also be available on the Barix website.

Stay tuned,

Dennis

Patricia R.
on 9/19/08 9:16 am - Perry, MI
Thanks Dennis,
I hope and pray that they are on the weekends I don't work.  I work every other weekend.

You are the best.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Dennis Belk
on 9/19/08 12:10 pm, edited 9/19/08 12:31 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hey Trish,
The idea is to have these meetings on the 1st Saturday of the month. This goes along with the 2nd Tuesday for pre-ops and 3rd Wednesday for post-ops. It's easy to remember.
However, the meetings may expand to include additional Saturdays. We'll see how it goes.

Dennis
Pam Hart
on 9/19/08 12:13 pm - Easton, PA
Thanks Dennis!
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
sbrunell
on 9/19/08 10:18 pm - Bensalem, PA
Hello.
I posted this a while ago, but I wondered if other people thought the same as me. I would be interested in a smaller group experience.

At any  meeting at Barix there are a handful of men.  I think we might have issues that we might not want to discuss in a forum that large, and wonder if  the Saturday meeting might be a better time for it.

As you are probably well aware, there aren't as many of us Y chromosomes floating around here.
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Dennis Belk
on 9/19/08 11:29 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Steve,
There are several factors driving the creation of these Saturday meetings.

The average size of the 3rd Wed. post-op group has been 65-75 for over a year now. It can be great for rallying the positives we experience but intimidating to those who are new and difficult for those who need the intimacy of a smaller group. So the intention is to have several smaller groups for the Saturday sessions that can be based on your surgery type (RNY or Lap-Band), your stage (how far out from surgery you are), a subject or topic (food addictions, your mirror image, emotional eating, when hunger returns, addiction transfer, etc.). Your idea of a Mens group would be well received.

Many are unable to attend the week night meetings (if they could we would average well over a hundred every month). A Saturday afternoon is more convenient for most of us.

During a week night the time limititation and the group size can make managing the meeting a challenge for any leader. We're starting with a time block that will go from 12P - 4P for the Saturday sessions. 

So Steve to answer your question, Yes a Saturday would be ideal for many smaller groups, including a Mens group.

Currently there is no official date for these meetings to start, but a leader group will meet next month to further develop a format. Once things are ready to roll info will be posted here and on the Barix website. Barix will also promote it at the Langhorne clinic. Once we start, the meeting will be the 1st Saturday of the month, but depending on need we may expand to an additional Saturday. 

Steve and Everyone,
please feel free to offer any comments, questions, or ideas you have. Everyone of you has a role to play in this and that is what will make it successful.

Stay tuned,

Dennis  

lauraanne715
on 9/19/08 10:28 pm - Pottstown, PA
Dennis--
You rock!! This is great!  The Saturday meeting might be a lifesaver for me since the Wed. ones have been so difficult for me to go to! Thank you!! You are the best!!

Much luv!!
Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

Dennis Belk
on 9/19/08 11:35 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Thank you Laura,
I look forward to seeing ya there!

Dennis
dit657
on 9/19/08 11:25 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Dennis - thank you so much for following up on this - I really feel like I miss out on a lot of good information and bonding because I can't make the Wednesday meetings but I know I can get up there for Saturday meetings. Thanks for being so diligent about this - I don't know what I could volunteer to do that would help facilitate these but if there's anything please let me know.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Dennis Belk
on 9/19/08 11:42 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Kathy,
We are moving along with it and I'll be in touch if anything new comes up. I'll keep Everyone informed as it becomes real. I just want all of us to get what we need whenever we need it.

Dennis
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views