Need some help - my back is killing me

Melanie B.
on 9/17/08 6:00 am - Doylestown, PA
So i woke up from surgery screaming my face off with back spasms and it really didn't get better for 2 weeks straight. Constant nagging back pain.

A little back story (pardon the pun) I fractured my spine in 1987 in a car accident and have 2 herniated discs and 1 bulging disc along with a compression fracture. the pain is exactly in the same spot it always is when it flares up - so I'm ruling out lingering gas from surgery.

so here I am 3+ weeks out and it has started to KILL me again. I think that laying flat on my back for 3+ hours and then 2 days in a hospital bed, I have done a number on myself.

Barix already told me I can take my Flexeril (muscle relaxants) safely, however I cannot function on them.

anyone have a bad back and see a chiropractor? Also, I was told I could take tylenol (but not anti inflammatories) In what form do you guys take Tylenol? post op? I also still have plenty of my lortab if it gets bad enough, but of course I can't function on that either.

any suggestions?

joldaker
on 9/17/08 7:36 am - West Bradford, PA
This is the first time I am going to say this.   Do NOT  let a chiropracter touch you. Go see a back doctor and see what you need to do to fix this. Call your gastric bypass surgeon also.

Highest Wt 299.8 / Surg Wt 285 / Curr Wt 157
BrunetteKimberly
on 9/17/08 8:10 am - Pittston, PA
I love my chiropractor!!! 

start 275/ current 272.5/ goal 139   5'8

rita61677
on 9/17/08 8:35 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi - I actually had a car accident where my car wa**** by a tractor trailer in 2004. I was hurt pretty bad. I had 2 herniated, bulging discs that were impinging on my nerves. i had no feeling in my left leg and foot but also i could barely walk. i went to PT but that did NOTHING!!!!!!!! eventually in 2006 after lots of trigger point shots and pain managemnt. i was a neurosurgeon and had back surgery. It was hard as hell but i have been 110% since. bck issues are terrible and i wish you all teh best. i wouldnt go to a chiropractor i just dont trust them moving my back around. my brother was messed up by a chiro in his teenage years when he playued football.
dit657
on 9/17/08 11:20 am - Boothwyn, PA
At two weeks out from my RNY I had the worst back pain I have ever experienced - I couldn't get out of bed without help and laid one whole day taking the pain killers they had given me post surgery. The day of my 2 week check up I took liquid Tylenol w/Power Boost, which caused me to DUMP big time - it was horrible.

My surgeon explained that the back pain was most likely from them cutting thru my stomach muscles for the surgery and weakening that area, so that I was slumping and it was pulling on my back. It went away in a couple of days.

All that being said, I agree with Jen - contact your surgeon - stay away from chiropractors at least rigfht now, especially this soon out of surgery. And watch the liquid Tylenol for the sugar content - it made me miserable for several hours.

Hope you're feeling better soon. Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Nicole0216
on 9/17/08 11:48 am - Lancaster, PA
i had awful back pain post surgery. The best thing I ever did was start seeing a chiropractor. saw him the first year after surgery. I would definately talk with your surgeon first.
Liz R.
on 9/17/08 8:30 pm - Easton, PA
So sorry to hear this Melanie! I too have terrible back problems - first step - call Dr P. Then if seeing a chiro is OK (I LOVE mine!) She is Dr Robin Linster over in the Baliwick Plaza (kind of across 313 from Superfresh) her number is 215-230-0111.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

OH I take the tylenol rapid release pills, talk to the Dr and see if they are OK for you to swallow this early out. Ice packs also helped me HUGELY!

Liz
rita61677
on 9/17/08 9:51 pm - Philadelphia, PA
as to the tylenol - dr. p had suggested i take tylenol jr. chewables. they work pretty well she said to take 2. on the package it says take 4 - so i took 2.
Dianne P.
on 9/17/08 11:47 pm - DE
Hi Melanie,
I started with a chiropractor 3 weeks ago surgery was Aug. 6th-08, and where my bra line is my left side is killing me. I told my neighbor/chiroprator that I had this surgery and it went well, I will continue to go to him 1 time a week. It's helping the pain trust me !
Hugs-Dianne
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views