One Year Surgiversary - long

tammypa
on 9/16/08 10:46 pm - Philadelphia, PA
I can't believe that my surgery was one year ago today . Last Sunday I walked in my first 5K and was so proud of my former couch potato self. This will probably be all over the place - so please bear with me.

A year ago I felt like a total failure and hated the way I looked. I thought that just losing weight would make me happy and was surprised when that did not automatically happen.
People don't really look at you or acknowledge you when you are heavy. They tend to look away or pretend you are not there - so I became good at being invisible - in my own mind anyway.
Talk about the elephant in the room.

I went to a therapist and she urged me to join a support group. It was so hard to walk in to the first meeting. I met some nice people who made me feel welcome. I think if it was not for Laureen that I would not have come back again.

Along the way I have learned some new things.
Shauna showed my how my buckets were empty.
Dennis brought up the food addictions - bulk eaters, grazers, carb addicts, sugar addicts, etc.
I thought - OMG - do I have to pick only one.

I found the OH website and had to learn some new lingo.
I wondered why everyone was so excited to go to PAT's.
I was truly amazed how many people had a nut. We have quite a few nuts in our family but we don't ask them for advice on protein.
I finally figured out what a MIL and a DIL are. I still don't know what an OT or a DH is.

I have made some wondeful new friends.
I have left behind cigarettes, alcohol, caffeine, carbonated beverages and prescriptions.
I used to want loads of plastics - now I am adjusting - which means I realize I can not afford it all.  Guess I will need to hang with people who like sharpeis.
Also, if they have lost their sense of smell would be a bonus.

To my surprise - I find myself feeling happy more and more often.
Thanks to all my wonderful OH/Barix  family. You guys are always there for me.
Tammy
Laureen S.
on 9/16/08 10:52 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Tammy,

Congratulations on your surgiversary!  You look fabulous and I hope to walk with you at 5K soon!  I wanted to be at this last one, but my life has been full of social activities of late and I was out on the Raritan Bay sailing with friends instead ;)

Hope to see you this evening to congratulate you in person!

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

bubble273
on 9/16/08 11:04 pm, edited 9/16/08 11:04 pm - Levittown, PA
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO, Tammy!!!!!  Congratulations on your one-year surgiversary!!!  It's amazing how fast the time has gone.  Next month will be my turn and I'll be at the meeting with bells on!!!

You've done so well and have come so far, weight wise, social wise and mentally.  I hope you're proud of yourself, because I know I am.  You're a beautiful person inside and out and I'm glad to have met you.

Congrats again and I'll see you tonight!!

P.S.  OT means off topic and DH can mean damn husband or dear husband or any other "d" word you can think of to describe a husband :)

Karen

New_Beginnings_36
on 9/16/08 11:29 pm - PA
Tammy - Happy 1 year Surgiversary!! Congratulations!  You are an amazing person and I am so happy to know you. Wishing you much continued happiness :)

<3 Stefanie    

way-of-life.gif image by SissyLalaSamantha
(deactivated member)
on 9/16/08 11:29 pm
Tammy,

Congrats on your one year! What a wonderful post to reflect on the past year it made me smile and even tear up a touch.

You are someone I have come to admire the last few months you always have a kind supportive word to lend when one is needed.

I would love to have hang out with sharpeis

Can't wait to see what the future holds!
dit657
on 9/16/08 11:36 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Happy One Year Surgiversary Tammy!! I know I saw you at the PA Pilgrimage in Lancaster but unfortunately didn't get to meet you - hopefully at the next one!

I'm so happy for you - you've come a long way and have done an amazing job with your tool and your life. These boards have taught me so much as well - especially the fact that even tho most of us are total 'strangers' to each other, the support and love and comfort (and sometimes a**-kicking) that comes from everyone is amazing to me.

I figure if we ever are invaded by aliens they're going to wonder what breed of human this is that carries around all this loose flesh like we do!! yeah, I'd love to think someday I'll be doing the plastics thing, too - and if I hit the lottery it will happen - otherwise I'll be hiding my folds with fabric.

Take care - congratulations again!!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 9/16/08 11:44 pm - Easton, PA
I don't think that post sounded "all over the place" at all!  What a wonderful wonderful post!!

Congratulations on your surgiversary - and celebrate the day away!!!

Thanks for being such a wonderful roll model for all of us!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Dennis Belk
on 9/16/08 11:46 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Congrats Tammy!
You've come a long way Baby!
You're doing great.

Dennis
CherylT
on 9/16/08 11:52 pm - Perkasie, PA
Congratulations Tammy!!

I have a choc lab to hang with your sharpei.

:)

Patricia R.
on 9/17/08 12:47 am - Perry, MI
Congratulations Tammy.  Keep up the great work.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views