What do I do?

CherylT
on 9/16/08 3:05 am - Perkasie, PA
This sounds stupid, but I've never been in this situation and need tips.

I am now hired at BOTH Kohl's and Michael's. Michael's just called me, Kohl's called me yesterday. I like both of them, but Kohl's doesn't pay squat---just $7.50, but I'll prolly have more hours. Michael's will prolly pay me a lil more, but some weeks could only be 15 hours.

I can't do both cause I am going to college and I have three kids, etc. Any suggestions?

rita61677
on 9/16/08 3:41 am - Philadelphia, PA
what about the employee discount perks? at least at Kohl's you can get discounted clothes. I lOVE Kohl's. i would go by the better discount.
jojobear98
on 9/16/08 3:42 am - Gettysburg, PA

This is just my opinion, but I would personally take the one that offers the less hours. And this is my reasoning.

In retail, if you get hired for an "X" amount of hours.....you are almost always going to work more. People call off.....quit, etc.

And if you are going to school, it may be hard to start at a place that offers you the more hours but then needs you to come in extra all the time.

JMO........

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

Shannon O.
on 9/16/08 4:08 am - Reading, PA
I would go for Kohl's... a discount on undies and bras would be so worth it... that is why I'm working at Lane Bryant... that discount can help a lot...

At Michaels well I would love a discount on art supplies... but you will have to pick what is best for you and your family...

GD_007
on 9/16/08 4:22 am - Drexel Hill, PA
I need a little more information:
1) I need to know how much "a lil more" is.  Only then can you quantify if the additional amount might compensate for the less hours
2) How many hours at Kohls, on average?
3) Do you want more hours/money/take-home or more flexible time?
4) What do like about Kohls and how much is that "worth" to you?
5) What do you like about MIchaels and how much is that "worth" to you?
6) Does driving distance come into play?

In general, though, it sounds like you're busy so the "less hours + more pay" *might* be a good combo for you.

Just my opinion.

-GD
Liz R.
on 9/16/08 6:02 am - Easton, PA
REmember the season you are headed into also - Christmas is right around the corner and hours will be going up and up all across the board - best of luck!

Also - go in and talk to a few employees - see  what they are like to work for!

Liz
joldaker
on 9/16/08 6:22 am - West Bradford, PA
Wow what I would give to be able to give you my job today. LOL

I would go for the one that will meet your needs for time and money. I know that doesnt help much but do the math and see where you will come out ahead.

If Kohls will only give you 750 an hour but 40 hours a week and that works for you then do it.
If Michaels is willing to offer 900 or more an hour then do the math there and see.

Either one you go with, this is a leap of faith, you cant go wrong.

I would personally take the clothes over art supplies any day.
Highest Wt 299.8 / Surg Wt 285 / Curr Wt 157
Laureen S.
on 9/16/08 6:45 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Michael's may pay you more, but I have a roommate that has worked there, this past summer, they cut her hours down to 10 a week because they hired college kids, not to mention that the hours they gave her always coincided with the truck delivery, of which she had to help unload. . .  she had been working for them over 9 months when they cut her hours, no loyalty there. . .  just my opinion and like others have said, discount at Khol's at least you can use for buying clothing and such. . .  you asked, so there's my opinion

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

CherylT
on 9/16/08 6:52 am - Perkasie, PA
Thanks guys,

Well, I just called Michael's and inquired about what position and salary they are offering---the man who interviewed me didn't remember the salary he wrote in my file, had three people waiting, and asked me to call back tonight. I remember thinking when I was there how much I would love working there. So I'm leaning toward taking that one.

OTOH, at Kohl's I would feel pretty and could dress up and be a girlie-girl. lol. I haven't been able to do that in a long time. I think I might like it there too, they are putting me in jewelry.

At Michael's everyone wears black shirt and khakis. The employees look like a lot of kids, too.

The distance is about the same, I think, just in different directions.

Should I go to both orientations, or do I need to pick one first and just go with that one?

CherylT
on 9/16/08 10:27 am, edited 9/16/08 10:27 am - Perkasie, PA
Thanks for all your help. I did a lil research, and found high employee dissatisfaction at Michael's, and that you have to BUY your uniforms? (umm...no) So I decided on Kohl's.

:)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views