New and have questions

Pam Hart
on 9/15/08 11:18 am - Easton, PA
Gail,

I have BC/BS NJ PPO and was approved - although it did take awhile for the answer to come.

I also used Barix inLanghorne, pa.  Unfortunately I'm not familiar with where you are in Pa (I'm one of the jersey girls Jan spoke about - although hopefully moving to pa by november) but would reccommend travelling there.  It is an hour and half - and lemme tell you - worth the drive.  Even with all the post op appointments (2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 mos, 6 mos, 9 mos, 1 yr)  I can't say enough about the staff along with my surgeon, Dr. Pupkova (again, something Jan and I have in common!)

Good luck in your journey!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 9/15/08 8:22 pm - Easton, PA
Gail - I'll be up your way this weekend! Beautiful!

Anyway, I Believe that Geisinger in WB does the surgery. Also, LVH In Allentown and of course Barix - that's where I went, I live in Easton PA, just outside ALlentown.

I had Keystone when I had my surgery, I went for my consult August 1st and was approved the middle of september, scheduled surgery the end of January.

Best of luck with the journey!

Liz
Elayne2
on 9/16/08 7:15 am - Dalton, PA
Hello Gail,

I'm in the middle of my evaluations - about half way through.

I selected Dr. Bono from Hazleton.

So far  so good.
His assistant Jane is a wonder with the insurance hoops and hurdles.

They're having a monthly support and information meeting tomorrow night (Sept 17, Wed) at the Hazleton General Hospital.

I have 1st Priority HMO (BC/BS PA) and I'm also 58.

I'd go tomorrow night to fulfill my pre-op support requirement but it's our 25th anniversary.
I plan to go to the October session.

Here's a link -
Dr. Bono
cargriton
on 9/16/08 7:21 am - exeter, PA

Thank you so much are you going for lapband? I will check out Dr. Bono, I have been going crazy trying to figure things out. Negs and Pos of this surgery. Confusion and then also hoping I can get it. Thanks for the information.

Elayne2
on 9/16/08 7:48 am - Dalton, PA
He suggested the Realize Band.

He explained the difference - Not a huge difference.
They address the different methods at the info sessions and even pass around the 2 bands.

I have a BMI of 37 and a slew of co-morbidities - Diabetes II, Sleep Apnea, Hypertension, High Cholesterol, arthritic knees (add a hip to the list as of last week)

I don't have 6 months of Dr. supervised diet - which seems to be the biggest hurdle that many people face - especially with BMIs under 40.

I hope I can use the weight management program from BC/BS that I was on for a year (but did very VERY poorly)

3 weeks to lose 5 pounds and 3 days to put it back on.

This forum is good for information -

and Lapbandtalk.com is excellent because there is a thread specifically for over-50 people of all stages.

I'll make you my "friend" so we can exchange more info if you are interested.
cargriton
on 9/16/08 8:36 am - exeter, PA

Thanks Elayne,
Yes please make me your friend, I also don't have 6 months of supervised diets but I think my BMI is bigger 43.9 so I don't know what that means. I have been on a million diets only to lose 40 gain 50 ya know same old song. I feel this is my last resort but my only hope to gain control of my life. I have high cholesterol, arthritic knees, high blood pressure and I am sure there is more to come if I don't do something. I am getting scared now. So I can use all the friends and help there is. How far is Dunmore from Exeter? Is that where you are from?

Gail

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views