New and have questions

cargriton
on 9/15/08 7:39 am - exeter, PA
Hi,
I live in Exeter Pa near Wilkes-barre Pa, and was wondering if anyone knows of a doctor or hospital that does lap band surgery in my area. I can't seem to find anything. Also I have Blue Cross and Blue Shield PPO and was wondering if that covers it. I tried getting in touch with insurance company but they never answer just put you on hold. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Gail
Michele S.
on 9/15/08 9:27 am
I ahe PPO blue anf they covered it with 6 months of classes, diet and a truck load of tests.  It took about 10 months form start to band.  Can't help wit h the Dr. I live about an hour north of Pgh. and went through UPMS St. MArgarets.  Would recomened my surgeon to anyone though.
If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.  ~Author Unknown

411 / 210 / 200
Jan K.
on 9/15/08 11:14 am - Was Jenkintown, PA but now NYC, PA
Hi Gail,

I have and had BC/BS PPO and I was approved in 4 days.  I went to the Barix Clinic in Langhorne, PA and actually many, many people go there.  Folks have travelled down from Scranton, Upstate New York, Boston, Mass,areas in New Jersey and from the south in delaware and Maryland.  Actually I go to the support meetings every month even though I moved from PA and now live Quwwns, NY.  I make the drive because of Barix, the support group and all of the folks who go to the support group.  It's the best thing I have ever fdone for myself, having WLS and having done at Barix.  Okay I sound like a commercial but I am very sincere in my appreciation and praise of my Doc, Doctor Pupkova and the staff at Barix.

Good luck with your search for docs, location, insurance and lastly great sucess with WLS.

Jan
         You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
                                                                                 --Mahatma Ghandi 
                                 Celebrate Life, L'Chaim, Peace, Shalom

cargriton
on 9/15/08 11:32 am - exeter, PA
Thanks for the reply, when you first decided to do this how long before you actually get it done, people are telling me 6mos to a year before you actually have the band put in. How many meetings must you go to, I have to get a ride that is why I need to know. Thanks so much
Jan K.
on 9/15/08 11:51 am - Was Jenkintown, PA but now NYC, PA
Gail I went for my first consult in March 2007, I think it was the 23rd, if not maybe the 16th.  I was given paperwork to complete such as: statement from primary care, a psych eval, blood work, and then my primary care also thought that I should get a cardio clearance done.  I had all of these appointments taking care of with my own doctors from the Abington area during the month of April.  Oh yeah, Barix submitted/mailed my insurance request on the 23rd of March and I received my insurance approval March 28th!  On April 26th I was given a date and scheduled for surgery for May 23rd.  I actually requested it be a week later than they had an opening for.  I could have had it May 15th.  WLS is becoming more and more popular ad clinics like Barix that are tops get many people coming in for the procedure so I am not sure how long the time line would be now but I do remember in all of the literature tha*****pically takes up to 6 months but obviously it can be less and sometimes more.  Most of the time is tied up with scheduling the necessary appointments for your clearance.  Pre-Op appointsments (if at Barix) generally are scheduled 2 weeks prior to surgery.  So, consult and/or initial visit and pre-op are the only driving issues prior and then you would be looking at post-op visits at 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months, 6 & 9 months (if you need it) and the 12 month check up.  Every facilty is different but maybe this helps you get a sense of what would be involved.

Jan
                                                                                 --Mahatma Ghandi 

cargriton
on 9/15/08 1:08 pm - exeter, PA
Hi Jan,
Thanks again for replying, I have so many questions I have been going back and forth with this for some time now. I read so much and I get positives and lots of negatives, such as people witht he band being hungry, and I certainly don't want to get this and then I am still hungry ya know. I'm sure they probably arn't eating the right things but it gets scary yet I do know I must do this. How was your weight loss after surgery? Plus I am 58 hoping not to old to get this.
Thanks Gail
Jan K.
on 9/15/08 8:25 pm, edited 9/15/08 8:27 pm - Was Jenkintown, PA but now NYC, PA
Hi again Gail,

I'm 50 and I had the RNY.  I originally considered the band but after learning about the pros and cons I went with the RNY because I know my body does not react well to foreign objects AND I wanted the higher rate of success long term.  It's an individual decsion but many docs will also tell you their preference for an option.   One of my friends in her early 60s had the band done and yes she gets hungry but she also is very good about going for follow ups to receive 'fills.'  You may want to post on the lap band forum to get specific questions about it there.  Also, do a post on this board with LAP BANDERS in the topic, they will help you too. 

By the way, I lost 120-125 pounds since surgery.  I fluctuate up and down around 5-8 pounds and I am almost 16 months out.  Some of the docs have information posted on this website about the age range of their patients.  I believe 58 is not a problem and within the range for these procedures.

Jan
                                                                                 --Mahatma Ghandi 

cargriton
on 9/16/08 7:27 am - exeter, PA

Hi Jan,
I checked out your pics and my goodness you look wonderful. I am very happy for you. It made me cry to see someone with such success. One more question if you don't mind what is RNY I have to get to know the terms I guess. Thanks and continued success

Gail

Nicole0216
on 9/15/08 9:43 pm - Lancaster, PA
HIJACK love your new pic.
Jan K.
on 9/16/08 10:49 am - Was Jenkintown, PA but now NYC, PA
Thanks Nicole!

Jan
                                                                                 --Mahatma Ghandi 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views