thoughts that go through my head.

CherylT
on 9/14/08 10:03 pm, edited 9/14/08 10:04 pm - Perkasie, PA
I am always doing this----thinking that I CAN'T do something cause I'm way too fat/heavy. This morning I did it again: I was sitting on the curb at the bus stop, and I said, "I can't get up" I really THOUGHT I couldn't get up. Then I tried it, and I could get up easily, without even using my hands to assist me. It still is so weird. It still shocks me. And I still look at myself in pictures and I think, "omg...what a cow" ,when 7 months ago I would have given my right toe to look like I do now.

I have lost 139 pounds and I still do this.

I need therapy. I really should get my lab done first. LOL.
(deactivated member)
on 9/14/08 10:16 pm
We all go through this.  It's a great thing when we do something we didn't think we could do.  I love when I do something without realizing I did it and then it hits me later.  You are doing great!!

HG
dit657
on 9/14/08 10:19 pm - Boothwyn, PA
You don't need therapy, honey - you just need to have your mind catch up with your body! I do the same things - I'll avoid situations because I think I'm too fat to do it, then when I realize I CAN do it I'm amazed at myself. I know the first time I had to get up from sitting on the stoop on our side porch I much have looked ridiculous - like a contortionist or something, trying to heave my huge body up. When I tried it several months (and almost 100 lbs later), I was amazing that I could stand right up, too.

Sometimes I can really see the difference in my body and my activity levels and things I can do, and other times I still see 388 lb Kathy trying to walk 5 feet without huffing and puffing. It really is a head game sometimes.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
CherylT
on 9/14/08 10:31 pm - Perkasie, PA
I notice a big part of it is fear. Fear that my knees are going to go out, fear of pain, fear of people laughing at me.

Yes my mind if not catching up...lol.

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/08 10:57 pm
Cheryl congrats for getting right up!

It does take time to say hey I can do this? Yet when it hits me that I did something I didn't thinkI could I am so excited inside.

Also I do go once a month to talk to my theraoist just to help talkout my feelings about this surgery and the changes that come with it. For me it does help alot to talk to him since he knew my prior struggles.

Good Luck!

keri2008
on 9/15/08 12:23 am - PA
When I read your post I immediately thought about the many times I've read "They operated on our tummy not our head" on this board.  I think I need to stop and really take this in because it seems to be so very true.  Time to start changing those voices - maybe "OMG......what a SKINNY cow?"  -- just kidding about leaving in the cow part, but time to THINK differently girl!  What a huge loss, congrats on that and on ALL the things you are doing that you couldn't before. 

Keri
Pam Hart
on 9/15/08 12:28 am - Easton, PA
Welcome to the world!!  I think we all have these thoughts.  Over the weekend at a ren faire we went too at one point I went up some bleachers to get a better vantage point for photos - wooden ones at that.  I got up no problem - but then on the way down - briefly I thought to myself - oh **** - how am I gonna hold the camera, keep myself balanced, and walk down the bleachers???  And then I took the first step down - and didn't need the rail - and realized I could walk, pretty briskly I might add - down the bleachers without a second thought - like a normal human being!

Congrats - and go back and look at those old photos vs your new photos and retrain your thinking.  When I catch myself thinking "bad" or "old" thoughts I make it a point to replace that thought with a "new" thought - retraining myself to think about myself the way I should!

It takes a long long time - ask Mary and Jen!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Nicole0216
on 9/15/08 7:40 am - Lancaster, PA
It takes awhile for the brain to build those new connections. Your brain told you that you cant get up because as far as it is concerned you couldnt. That has been your experience so long your mind was predicting the outcome based on previous experiences. It will take awhile of you getting up with no help before your brain builds those new pathways and says oh ok. yeah so we can get up now without help. It is a definate reprogram of the brain. You have to show it that things are different a few times before it defaults to the new you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views