meatloaf

Shannon O.
on 9/14/08 11:35 pm - Reading, PA
For some reason I am craving meatloaf... anyone have a good recipe that is kind of lowcarb aka not a ton of bread or bread crumbs in it hehehe...

Patricia R.
on 9/15/08 12:14 am - Perry, MI
I always make my meatloaf with uncooked old fashioned oatmeal.  It adds fiber to the meal, and really absorbs the liquids well.

Good luck.
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Pam Hart
on 9/15/08 12:30 am - Easton, PA
I know Loretta has one - but her computer access is limited.  I know she has used Kashi cereal before.

I would think - although I'm not sure - that you could substitue some parmesean cheese for bread crumbs and up the protein by that little amount....or maybe some soy crisps done up in a blender or food processor??

I don't generally make meatloaf cause hubby isn't a big fan - but now that you are talking about it - it sounds pretty good - so maybe in the next few weeks I'll have to experiment!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 9/15/08 1:36 am - Easton, PA
Shannon -  I was going to use this one for the cooking class - haven't tried it yet but it sounds good! Extra benefit - NO CARBS and the quinoa has extra protein - I am thikning though that it may be a bit "crunchy" as I have never had the quinoa get soft. If you try it you'll have to let me know!

You can also use wheat bread in there or corn meal - I haven't tried that either but my grandmother has done it before.

This meat loaf recipe is nothing fancy. It's just delicious. I will give you the ingredients for three different sizes. We usually make the 3 lb. size because people tend to eat a lot. 1 lb. 2 lbs. 3 lbs.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.  
Ground Turkey (I prefer Shadybrook Farms) 1 lb. 2 lbs. 3 lbs.
Eggs (Large) 1 2 3
Hot sauce. I use a mild hot sauce. My favorite is a brand called Sharkey's (scroll down for picture) but it can be a little hard to find. If you are using regular hot sauce you might want to cut his back by at least half. This is especially true if you are serving the meat loaf to children. You can always add more to taste later. 1 tbsp. 2 tbsp. 3 tbsp.
Worcestershire Sauce (I use Lea and Perrins) 1 tbsp. 2 tbsp. 3 tbsp.
Adobe Seasoning (Scroll down for picture) 1 tsp. 2 tsp. 3 tsp.
Vidalia Onion - Diced 4 ozs. 8 ozs. 12 ozs.
Olive Oil 1 tbsp. 2 tbsp. 3 tbsp.
Quinoa (I use Ancient Harvest) 1/3 C 2/3 C 1 C
Water (I always use bottles spring water) 2/3 C 1 1/3 C 2 C
  1. Cooked Quinoa
    You know it's cooked when the spiral tail appears. It's that little tail that stays crunchy giving quinoa turkey meatloaf a unique and fantastic texture.
    Put the Quinoa and Water in a saucepan. Bring
    to boil and cook for about ten minutes. See the picture on the right to find out how you can tell when quinoa is cooked.

2. Put the ground turkey and all other ingredients except the quinoa into a large bowl.

3. Mix thoroughly.

4. Place the Quinoa in the bowl and mix it in. You gotta say it. DON'T BURN YOURSELF. Be sure the Quinoa has cooled off.

5. Place mixture in appropriate size baking dish. Sprinkle some parsley flakes over the top to add some color.

6. It's difficult to say precisely how long to bake your meatloaf since it depends on the dish you're using, your ovens characteristics, etc. I bake the 3 lb. meatloaf, covered, for 1½ hours and then check to see if it's done. If it's a shallow baking dish you might want to start to check it after about an hour. You want it to be done but don't overcook it. You want it to be moist.

7. Remove from oven and let stand for about twenty minutes.

rivardstarr
on 9/15/08 7:38 am - phoenixville, PA
Hi,
when I make meatloaf I use a jar of marinara sauce, finely diced onion and green peppers, and a box of chopped spinach which sneaks in a green vegetable. Quinoa is a great whole grain to use instead of oatmeal. I use ground turkey too, instead of beef.
Chris
Nicole0216
on 9/15/08 7:36 am - Lancaster, PA
I make the south beach recipe for meatloaf. It has oatmeal in it.
sunshinedaze
on 9/19/08 11:02 am - Franklin, PA
Shannon, not sure if you visit this site or not, but I was looking a few days ago and seen this.
I've had the craving for meatloaf since I began puree. That was the first 'meal' I had in the hospital, meatloaf, veg and a fruit. I've craved it every since. However due to some set backs, I've been extra careful on trying meats. Nine more days and I may just make this tho!
http://www.bariatriceating.com/BEhealthnutrition/recipes/zuc chinimeatloaf.php
~Trobyann~
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views