what am i doing wrong????

rita61677
on 9/14/08 8:38 am - Philadelphia, PA
ok - so now i have moved on to soft foods and certain things (meat - chicken breast, ground beef - everything has some sort of sauce as well so its not dry) seem to make me vomit. Im starting to think im eating too much.... i cant even finish a serving of any kind of meat. i eat until i feel full ... but im not sure how to know im full. i usually feel fine initally then about 30 minutes later i feel like there is food stuck in my throat and then it finds it way out. it takes me forever to even eat - i chew for like 5 minutes per bite. so i know im not eating too fast. please help .... i dont want to throw up anymore.  even when i do throw up its not too much (sorry to be graphic). i think maybe im eating too much and filling up my pouch and then i fill up and up and up and thats where the food stuck in my throat feeling is coming from. i dont even know if that makes sense but.... i go back to see dr. pupkova on thursday for my 6 week check up so i will inform her and find out as well. but i thought maybe you all might have some thoughts for me. thanks
(deactivated member)
on 9/14/08 9:09 am
Rita

You are still healing inside and the nerves are healing you more then likey are not going to feel the fullness. You HAVE to measure your food the 2 ounces per serving right now ( i think that is the amount my book is away) . Plus meats can be tough to digest I am 5 months and battle meats on some days other days they are fine. Hope you get to feeling better
Shannon O.
on 9/14/08 9:10 am - Reading, PA
When I hit that stage I eat roasted chicken breast or broiled/grilled steak... and then diced it up fine for me to eat with gravy... but try this for serving size... measure out a tablespoon or 2 and eat that... then wait the 30 mins and see what happens... I ran into that issue a few times and once I started to do that I did better... I still have that issue in the morning... so I eat a couple bites of my protien pudding or yogurt and then 30 mins later I can eat my normal breakfast...

J. M.
on 9/14/08 9:11 am
make sure whatever you are eating is  very moist.  add chicken/beef broth to whatever you are eating and see if that helps. you dont have any digestive juices in you pouch and with it being so new and sensitive, it will be hard to digest food for a while. 

i had a tough time too. make sure your bites are very small too. and take a few bites, then go do something...like wash a few dishes....then come back to it. you'll need to take it real slow for a while

good luck

~ Jen   

Shan08
on 9/14/08 9:19 am - the Skook, PA

It's not AS yummy, but I'm finding the chicken breast in a can (looks like a can of tuna) to be working just fine.  Hope it gets better for you :( 

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
Pam Hart
on 9/14/08 11:48 am - Easton, PA
I agree with everyone else - you probably can't feel "full" at this point - I know I didn't.  Cut your portions down, make sure things are moist etc etc etc.  Meat can be very very difficult to digest and many have a lot of problems with it especially early out.  You may need more time.

I still get quite a bit of my protein from dairy (ricotta cheese, greek yogurt, etc)  Although I don't have "problems" with meat any longer....it's still easier to eat softer foods especially at work when I don't have "all day" as it sometimes seem to eat.

It does get better - it just takes awhile.

Hang in there and definately talk to Dr. P she will help you out!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
rita61677
on 9/14/08 9:45 pm - Philadelphia, PA
thanks everyone for your help. i will stick more to things that i know do work well for me - dairy. I had a bowl of protein plus special k this am and that went well. i think its the meat issue and not stopping eating soon enough. i will be revising my diet as of today. thanks again
dit657
on 9/14/08 10:05 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Even now (almost 7 mos out) if I eat until I feel 'full' I've gone way too far and then I'm miserable for several hours afterward. I agree with the others - measure small portion sizes and eat those, but not until full. It takes a while for your pouch to feel 'full' after eating. I still struggle with meats as well - they have to be super moist and I rarely eat leftovers - they are just not good for my pouch.

Good luck - take it slow and easy.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
(deactivated member)
on 9/14/08 10:36 pm - Eastern, PA
You might not be ready for meat and other dense protein yet.

Have you tried seafood? I found that to be more tolerable earlier out.

Shrimp, tuna, salmon, scallops, all good choices!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views