insomnia?

Lesley G.
on 9/13/08 5:35 pm - Allegan, MI
I am just about three weeks out from my RNY, and I've been struggling with insomnia lately.  I can fall asleep just fine, but I can't stay asleep.  It's frustrating because I'm tired, I just can't sleep!  I haven't changed anything about how I'm sleeping -- I'm still using the CPAP, etc -- and I haven't had caffeine in weeks, so it's not that.

Did anyone else experience this?  How did you deal with it?  Any advice would be appreciated!

Lesley
Patricia R.
on 9/13/08 7:08 pm - Perry, MI
I had a little of the insomnia because of not being able to sleep like I usually do until I healed.  I had open RNY, and was only able to sleep on my back for a while.  Rolling over was a bit of a pain, literally.  Could that be the problem? 

Hang in there.  Now, my insomnia is totally unrelated to my surgery. 

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Alice P.
on 9/13/08 7:41 pm - Bensalem
Hi there,
    If you are still taking pain medication it can cause you to stay awake. Sometimes if you are battling depression it is almost a classic sign when you said "I cant stay asleep". I think we all go through something when we have surgery whether its anxiety or depression. Good luck and go see your primary doctor.

Alice
(deactivated member)
on 9/13/08 10:22 pm
Lesley

I started with insomnia about 3/4 weeks out of surgery I struggle to sleep all through the night other nights it is just to fall asleep.  I talked to Dr. Pupokva about it she had me talk to my PCP they don't know why . At first I heard others had problems adjusted to the b-12 and such but settled down after a few weeks. Me I am still struggling with the sleep monster I do have ambien but hate taking pills so when really craving the sleep I give in.

I hope this passes for you!
ktreavis
on 9/13/08 11:19 pm - PA
Hey there - I also had some trouble sleeping at 4 weeks out, when I started to work out more I noticed I sleep much better. Even now if I don't work out hard enough I cen't sleep. Hope you get some rest soon. Keep up the good work. - Katie

Progress not perfection

Pam Hart
on 9/13/08 11:34 pm - Easton, PA
If you find the answer, let me know.  I don't think my insomnia is related to the surgery - but mine has gotten real bad. At first I thought I was all of the sudden having problems sleeping during the day due to my night schedule.  But whether it's my day off and I'm sleeping at night or I am working and sleeping during the day - I have a LOT of trouble sleeping.  Basically I am only sleeping about 4 hours a day - and then one day a week I end up crashing and sleeping for about 12 (that was last night, by the way....lol)  I think maybe I do need to up the exercise - for obvious reasons - but also because yesterday with walking around the Ren Faire we went too - I slept like a rock.  Perhaps I just need to burn off more of this new found energy!!

Good luck!
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Lesley G.
on 9/14/08 2:10 am - Allegan, MI
Thanks for the replies.  This insomnia has been very frustrating, to say the least.  I'm already dreading going to work tomorrow.  I need a good night's sleep so I can think clearly at work, esp. since I still can't have coffee now (which was my usual remedy if I wasn't well rested).  I'm going to try working out harder to see if that tires me out more.  I'm also going to talk to my PCP about it this week.  I think for now I may just resort to taking a Benadryl tonight before I go to bed.  I definitely think the insomnia is something metabolic.  It feels a lot like when I get insomnia from having my Synthroid dose increased.  Either way, it's not fun!

Thanks again,
Lesley
amy C.
on 9/14/08 3:49 pm
along with that working out theory is tomorrow your first day back to work? If oyu havent been at work and havent been doing a lot of stimulating things physically and mentally  your body has been "resting" more thn usual so your not going to sleep well ...your body is confused. I had the same problem .  now im back to work and all i do is sleep if im off, sometimes its hard to stay awake.  I also learned that before suregry i could do 70+ hours a week between my part time jobs and my fulltime job but damn i tried that last week...yeah not so good.LOL..   GOODLUCK!!!

Amy
Lesley G.
on 9/14/08 9:29 pm - Allegan, MI
No, I went back to work last week, and I stopped napping so it wouldn't interfere with my nighttime sleep.  I really think it's my body responding to something metabolic that's going on.  I slept better last night, so I am hoping this continues!
tammypa
on 9/14/08 9:39 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Leslie,
I am almost a year out and I still have trouble staying asleep. I have talked to other WLS patients and alot of us seem to have this problem. Noone seems to know why. I used to be the queen of sleep. I would fall sleep for 9 hours straight. On the weekend - I was never up before noon. Now I wake up at least 3 -4 times a night and I usually can't sleep past 5:30 or 6:00 no matter what time I go to bed.
Tammy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views