steak

sbrunell
on 9/12/08 5:30 am - Bensalem, PA
Any idea how I could cook a steak and have it be tender enough? I have no problem w/ it, but my wife had problem w/ chicken and rice the other day. I know it could be the rice......but she can't deal w/ chewy things...so thought I would ask for some advice.

Thanks.
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

jojobear98
on 9/12/08 5:37 am - Gettysburg, PA
I have learned that.....for myself......Delmonico cuts are the best for me for digestion. They are more tender. They do have fat on them but that helps when you grill them to keep them juicy. I just trim it all off afterwards.

Also, it depends on how well done the meat is cooked. I like mine pink. and I handle that fine. But if my BF cooks it longer and it's more well done, I have trouble chewing it to the right consistancy. Then it just ends up coming back up again.

A marinade is good. My favorite is Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce (diluted a little) with a mixture of whatever spices I am in the mood for. But this also depends on if you can have or aloww yourself to have sugar in a condiment.

Lastly, I think grilling the steaks is the best way to keep tenderness. JMO. But when I cook them on the stove or oven, they never seem as tender.

Sorry about the rant. But.... I LOVE STEAK! And eat it often so thought I would share with you.

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/08 5:41 am - Eastern, PA
It's not quite as "steaky," but you pan sear the outsides, then cook them in a crockpot with some beef boullion or the sauce of your choice. Be careful not to use to much bullion, or they get very salty.
jackie j
on 9/12/08 8:01 am - Glenmoore, PA
Is it "steak" you want or beef?   I only eat filet mignon and I grill it; most everything else is too fatty.   Put a little pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and dried minced onion on cold filets and let it soak in to room temp about 15 mins. while the grill is getting to "high" and I make up some mushrooms and onions to top it,  cook on each side about 8 mins.   Take it off the heat to check for doneness, if ready, rest for about 5 mins. before cutting up in small pieces and serving.    I often can't finish mine (size of the palm) and it's great leftover the next day cold and sometimes much easier to chew down.   As for beef, cubed steak will give you the steak taste but will be more squooshy to eat in the beginning and chipped steak too (real stuff used for cheese steaks).   Chuck is fabulous in the crock pot/slow cooker with veggies; doesn't get anymore tender than that and cooks while you are at work.   Beef and chicken were my two favs in the beginning; pork wouldn't go work for about 6 mos.  Everybody's different.

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

jdruski
on 9/12/08 9:13 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hey Steve,

Since my surgery I will only eat a good cut of steak, but even if I get a cheaper cut I usually marinate it in balsamic vinegar and soy sauce (lite for salt sensitive) for about 2 days then grill it on my George Forman.  I can usually cut it with the fork. 

Of course if I really want to have good steak I just drive over the bridge to the PUB.

Hope you find a recipe that you like.

Jeanne
Liz R.
on 9/12/08 9:49 am - Easton, PA
Steve - my guess is that it is the rice that got her - it works quite the number on my system! I feel like i am going to explode after about 2 forfuls.

As for steak, I tolderate most well - I like to cook it to about medium, and less and it is tough and anymore it seems to get dry or stringy. I do find myself getting the better cuts of meat. One other thing that I have found is at the butcher I get fresh chip steak - it is what they use for cheese steaks, it is VERY thinly sliced rib eye and is always tender.

Best of luck!

Liz

PS - unfortunately it seems as though most of this journey is trial and error
Nicole0216
on 9/12/08 1:15 pm - Lancaster, PA
I cook a nice marbeled delmonico and I eat my med rare the less cooked the more tender.
But my mom says I am weird and disgusting to eat meat that is still moving. LOL
Patricia R.
on 9/12/08 2:36 pm - Perry, MI
I usually get a Delmonico, or a Sirloin.  I like to marinate mine regardless of the cut.  I either use Italian dressing, or teriyaki sauce.  Not sure about the sugar content, but I can handle whatever it is.

Good luck.

hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

levittown_loser
on 9/12/08 10:42 pm - Levittown, PA
Delmonico / Ribeye cooked medium here as well.  They are so tender!   Get a thick cut and enjoy!

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

dit657
on 9/13/08 11:27 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Filet mignon for me and that's it - I can't chew anything else enough for it not to get stuck. I also didn't start eating stea****il almost 6 months out - your wife is only a few months out and if she's having trouble with chicken and things like that I would recommend waiting for a little while longer. Maybe grill her a really nice sirloin burger or something like that - I could tolerate ground beef early out.

How is your wife doing? We don't hear much from her out here and I was thinking about her the other day - I hope she's doing well - you seem to be adjusting to your surgery very well and have done great with your weight loss so far. Keep up the great work!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views