I CAN'T POOP!!! (Sorry so blunt)

Pam Hart
on 9/12/08 11:50 am - Easton, PA
Hey there Mr. Andy!!  Nice to be seeing you!!

Anyway - I've had major major problems w/ complications - granted - not nearly as far out as you.  However, these are the things that work for me:

Peri Colace.  You can take up to 4 tablets a day.  When I am really really blocked, I use all four tablets once at night.  Generally that helps.  Most of the time after one dose.  Sometimes I need to take two nights worth.  When I've had problems w/ blockages and after I get things moving I take two of them a night for a good week to keep things flowing, or until they work a little to well.  After that, I switch to regular colace (which is a stool softener without the laxative portion, the peri colace has the laxative efffect)  If that doesn't work, (Peri colace for two nights at maximum dosage) I move on to my "fail safe" which is:

Dulcolax suppositories.  I have never had to take more than one to get things moving.  I use them when things are really really bad and I especially when I can "feel" the stool there but can't get it moving.  Generally for me it works within 20 minutes.  I've only had one episode where it didn't help and I needed to take a second one the next day.  *Word to the wise....after that day (when I needed to take the second suppository), I did move my bowels...but was concerned...so took peri colace AFTER the fact....and then was out shopping and without going into further detail, suffice to say had hubby buy me a new pair of underwear AND jeans while I was in the ladies room. 

Oh, and listen....most hospitals have "charity care" applications.  You can be seen in the ER, get the charity care application and fill it out.  It is generally good for a year and not only helps cover the ER and any inpatient stays, but also gives access to doctors offices and what not.  While it's certainly not free, it does help....and if you end up obstructing yourself....well...you know how dangerous that can be.

Keep us posted - we LOVE to hear about poo!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
jackie j
on 9/12/08 8:24 am - Glenmoore, PA
The recipe I was given by Barix is this....if you are totally blocked do a dulcolax suppository (should have results within 1.5 hours).  Once that blockage is passed or if you just have a partial blockage, do 2 PERI-colace at night and 2 in the morning until you pass the lump then fall back to 1 pm/am until you are in a regular routine.   Also, they gave me Fibre-Stat which is fabulous for keeping things soft so you are not trying to pass rocks and ripping stuff.   I keep passing this recipe on and everybody I know is still standing....
As Nanette said last week...."it's Da Bomb!"   Good Luck!!   Queen of the ****ter 

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Liz R.
on 9/12/08 9:41 am - Easton, PA
Andy - sorry to hear you are having potty problems! Dr Brader told me if it gets back to do a fleet enema - no fun but they make you feel so much better! just stay close to the potty. Next UP your fiber, he told me to take a supplement. Miralax also works great just stay near the bathroom. I use pericolace and if I take 2 at night it seems to "kick in" the next morning.
\
Good luck and please if you don't feel better Call Dr M.! If you are in pain for more then an hour at a shot that's supposed to be when you go to the ER to check for an obstruction - that's what Dr BRader told me when I was out there last.

*hugs*

liz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views